electrical items

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by barney111 Star rating. 1133 posts Send private message

I am a complete novice with anything electrical - can just about wire a plug! Can any expert out there answer the following question? 

Do I need a continental adapter for every electrical item I bring with me or can I use 1 adapter in the wall socket and connect a 4 way English trailer socket. Thus I could connect computer, printer,modem and phone with their original English plugs.

It may seem simple to me but no doubt there will be technical reasons why I can't do it!

Barry

Condado de Alhama

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:41 AM by Aelred the Ready Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Aelred the Ready´s avatar
Hi Barney
Yes you could do as you say, however you will find that adapters are very flimsy, and you would be much better putting a spanish plug in the lead. This is particularly important for computers as poor connetions to the power can cause computers to crash and in some cases can damage them.
The best solution would be to purchase new leads as most computers and peripherals have plug in ones, or at least change the plugs to spanish plugs.
Hope this is of help

This message was last edited by Aelred the Ready on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 4:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Don't forget a surge protector too. 

Might seem obvious, I don't know. Spain has surges regularly. We lost the programme (so engr said) we were using on our washing machine when we suffered one. 

We now use one of those that you plug into one socket & that covers the TV & DVD & Telmicro sat box & the fridge freezer. We move it just when we use washing machine & only plug washing machine in when we need to use it.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 4:47 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Barney, we took a Ben Foreman grill over to Spain, but the plug got smashed on the way, but our keyholder changed the plug for a Spanish one and it worked fine, we had a lot of use out of it, more than I had in UK.  Pat  

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 5:29 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
All of our electricals (except white goods) were bought in the UK. Plugs were changed on all appliances (I did think about using a UK extension bar but decidied against it). There should be no difference as European countries are supposed to have standardised voltage (mainland Europe from 220v- 230v, UK from 240v- 230v). If you look on the plug leads/ back of your UK telly, you should see the voltage it can run on.

Mark

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 5:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
There was a thread about electrical equipment a while ago when a qualified electrican told us NOT to change plugs for certain items but to use the adapters so you have a fuse. Do you remember Mark ?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 5:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I do remember that yes. But if you also consider that the items we buy in the UK are exactly the same as those in Europe and European models come with two pin plugs, no earth and no fuse. TBH, the stuff we have at the moment (kettle, iron, etc) are inexpensive and if the fuse were to blow in a 3 pin plug it probably wouldn't save the item! The TV we bought in Spain has a 2 pin plug, the fridge/ freezer, etc. Of course, having extra protection is always preferable, but the units can and will function correctly with a 2 pin.

Mark

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 6:23 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes I remember that More, that was why i was dubious about him doing it, but he did ask a qualified electrican in the village and he said it was okay. so who am I to disagree with them, when I am so ignorant about electrics.    Pati 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 7:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
When in Spain then...

back to my blog

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 8:30 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Most houses in Spain don't have enough sockets for the electrical items, we bought our TV, Video/DVD combi in Spain so I bought a multi socket surge protector to use.

If it's heavy rain, windy or a dozen other reasons the electric will trip so it's wise to be protected especiall with computer equipment.

As I bought all my kitchen items over from UK I took a strip adaptor over and use that.

Pat I think you've got your fighters mixed up, it's a George Foreman lean mean grilling machine that you brought over

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 8:46 PM by freddy Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I rewired all my UK appliances with the normal Spanish type...Incidently, although only having two pins, most are earthed. ( they really are  marksfish )
Don't bother with UK extension leads,,, you might find that the odd rubber moulded plug will need a small adaptor but most can just have the standard Spanish plug fitted... the only thing I would encourage you to do is fit surge protectors to TV and PC equipment....
There are a couple of things to know...Some small appliance plugs are small and almost oval ( two pin of course ) Others are larger and round with slall metal connectors down the two sides ( earths)... best stick to the larger ones unless you are certain the appliance is doubly insulated.

All the extension leads etc., I use here, work out cheaper than those bought at home.. and they aright for the job.

This message was last edited by freddy on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 8:57 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes you are right Semi I keep saying Ben not George.    We are are quite lucky we seem to have lots of points some we do not use at the moment, but we do have  the occasional trip quite eerie when it is pitch black.  Thank goodness for my solar torch  and my battery candle.  Pat

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 8:58 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
What on earth is a battery candle?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Don't even go down there, Markfish, some things are best left unanswered.
I bought a load of those battery operated push lights that you can stick under cupboards etc.  Only a quid each at Wilkos (the batteries cost more) so at least you can see to reset the trip fuses.
Also most of my electrical kit (TV, DVD, ancient video etc.) comes with a separate 2 pin euro type plug which I have kept to use in Spain.  In fact, after having a new computer system recently installed in work, I have a great big box load of the things taking up room in my garage.  Only keeping high energy consumption items (like the kettle) on UK plugs with adapter to take advantage of the extra (replaceable) fuse.  Fitting surge protectors is well advised, in UK as well as Spain.  Some of us in the sticks in UK also get power surges and trips on occasions and lose Sky during lightning storms.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark, I think you'll find most of us women have battery candles  

I was showing Semi my three recently, wasn't I, Semi ?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 10:17 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Ah. The penny has dropped

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 10:27 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

WRONG JUST SEEN YOUR LAST POST    Sorry Markfish, you are getting a lot of stick asking that question.    These are Duni candles that we bought in Gran Canaria all you do is click the switch at the bottom of the candle and you can have a main colour or you can change the colours   brilliant battery last's for about 120 hours.  I do not know if I should be advertising it on the forum never mind. I promise I do not do anything else with it. Pat

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 10:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark, these are ours, £1 each from the local £1 shop. Look lovely late at night out on our patio table.

http://www.smartcandle.co.uk/smart-candles-design.aspx   Check site out, shows you how they work. Scroll down to the product photo gallery.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 11:33 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

After you experience your first power cut in the evening you soon realise why there are candles for sale in all the shops, they are not for decoration they are an esential part of Spanish life.

You don't get any warning, no flicker of lights just pitch black.

Luckily the first time it happened to me I was sitting in the lounge.  

Next day I went out and bought loads of candles and torches but there is still the problem about where to keep them so that you can find them in an emergency.

Now I have a small touch lite, about the size of a coaster and a little taller, in every room around the house.  

They do have a sticky pad so they're probably the same as the one's that Bobaol uses in his cupboards.

I bought my first one from B & Q for £5 but then I found cheaper versions in Florida (Dollartree) and last year in Poundland (2 for £1)

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 12:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Talking about being in the dark in a power cut, we were visited friends when their builder's electric went off. (Actually they had overloaded the electric as Jeanette was using a few rings on her hob as we'd been invited to eat with them )

It was my first power cut & ink black. As they were used to it Richard had a torch handy & sorted it fast but it was pretty unnerving. As we don't smoke we don't have a lighter handy to help us out. 

Could do with walking around with a cord around our neck with a mini torch attached. Could be a good business for someone.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Danish TV in Sapin - 2 posts
Moors and Christians festival in Orihuela city, Costa Blanca. FREE TRANSPORT FROM PLAYA FLAMENCA. - 0 posts
Campomar : First of the Summer Sewage Barranco Rubio beach - 0 posts
Meeting - 2 posts
When 'Veterans' Retire - 4 posts
Problem with water anyone claimed - 0 posts
TOWN HALL TAXES - 40 posts
Key Holding - 26 posts
Alicante region power cuts - 3 posts
Deadline for San Jose/ Herrada del Tollo procedures - 14 posts
The developer misappropriation of funds in the Spanish criminal law - 5 posts
Restaurants in main square Los Alcazares - 41 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
JUSTIN CAN YOU HELP REGARDING SETTING UP AN AVATAR - 49 posts
Internet Modem, called a dongel through the Orange Network, for just 6 euros a month + a 2 euro connection charge - 17 posts
alhruin de grande - long term let needed - 0 posts
cave house in Rojales - 1 posts
Driving Through France - 5 posts
co/co nut - 2 posts
Electric assist bicycles - 20 posts
Winter weather - 0 posts
HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE NOTICE RE: OVPI - 1 posts
Antequera Blues Festival July 08 11th to 26th (and its FREE!) - 0 posts
Guardamar/Almerimar/Villamartin/Duquesa - 0 posts
MOSQUITO BLINDS AND INSECT SCREENS - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x