When 'Veterans' Retire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

WHEN VETERANS RETIRE

When a good Veteran leaves the "job" and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he knows what they are leaving behind because we already know.

We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

We know in the Military life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet.

We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life.

We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only escaping the "job" and merely being allowed to leave "active" duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that "Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called children of God," and you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

Civilian Friends vs. Veteran Friends

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Get upset if you're too busy to talk to them for a week.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Are glad to see you after years, and will happily carry on the same conversation you were having the last time you met.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have never seen you cry.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Have cried with you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Keep your stuff so long they forget it's yours.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know a few things about you.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Will kick the crowds' ass that left you behind.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Are for a while.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Are for life.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have shared a few experiences...

VETERAN FRIENDS: Have shared a lifetime of experiences No citizen could ever dream of...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will take your drink away when they think you've had enough.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Will look at you stumbling all over the place and then carry you home safely and put you to bed...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will talk crap to the person who talks crap about you.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Will knock the hell out OF THEM... For using your name in vain.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will ignore this.

VETERAN FRIENDS: Will nod and agree with all of this.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 7:55 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Here, here. I can relate to that and I got my veterans badge last week (i'm only 40)!!

Whereabouts in Bedfordshire? Used to live in Blunham and work out of Biggleswade.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 8:06 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

We got our veteran's badges recently too!  

We live in Brickhill. Retiring to Playa Golf III next May.  We thought were planning well by putting the house up for sale in March, with a view to going into rented so that when next year comes it would be less hassle and head off to a happy retirement in Spain.  What happened a week after the 'for sale' board up? - CRASH!!  Doom and gloom!!  

With only 9 pay days to go (or 9 months) we are getting a  bit panicky but dont want to drop the price too much as this was to be part of our pension fund!!  Hopefully things will pick up shortly.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 8:13 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I've had a few drinks in the Bird in Hand in the past and the Tiger Moth . A mate of mine used to live in Brickhill and I started work for Stagecoach in Bedford before moving to the Biggleswade garage.

God luck with the sale.

Mark

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 6:42 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar
Must jump in here, please excuse me?

Hearing the titles, "Bird in Hand" and Tiger Moth"!

I lived in Brickhill Drive, Bedford for over 12 years. Those two pubs were my watering holes.

It was great strolling down the hill for a couple of drinks with family and friends but a whole different story climbing back up again!! However, the thought of Sunday lunch would always be a stimulus!

I very much enjoyed reading "When Veterans Retire, etc."

pilgrim

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Problem with water anyone claimed - 0 posts
TOWN HALL TAXES - 40 posts
Key Holding - 26 posts
Alicante region power cuts - 3 posts
Deadline for San Jose/ Herrada del Tollo procedures - 14 posts
The developer misappropriation of funds in the Spanish criminal law - 5 posts
Restaurants in main square Los Alcazares - 41 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
JUSTIN CAN YOU HELP REGARDING SETTING UP AN AVATAR - 49 posts
Internet Modem, called a dongel through the Orange Network, for just 6 euros a month + a 2 euro connection charge - 17 posts
alhruin de grande - long term let needed - 0 posts
cave house in Rojales - 1 posts
Driving Through France - 5 posts
co/co nut - 2 posts
Electric assist bicycles - 20 posts
Winter weather - 0 posts
HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE NOTICE RE: OVPI - 1 posts
Antequera Blues Festival July 08 11th to 26th (and its FREE!) - 0 posts
Guardamar/Almerimar/Villamartin/Duquesa - 0 posts
MOSQUITO BLINDS AND INSECT SCREENS - 2 posts
SETTING UP MY AVATAR ON E.O.S.WEBSITE - 1 posts
WANTED - PORTABLE AIR CON UNIT - 0 posts
hello from new member - at the 'should i?, shouldn't i? stage' - 8 posts
Car hire at Malaga Airport- full tank/full tank! - 20 posts
Spanish Lessons for my 2 children - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x