Mobile costs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by Not the boss Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Does anyone have any recomendations for mobile packages. We use it infrequently when in Spain usually to pick up texts and to make the odd local call. Our UK bill is enourmouse for the odd call so want a different package in Spain. It seems that the pay as you go ones run out if you don't use them a lot as we don't.

Anyone got some suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 10:12 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

You are correct the pay as you go vouchers are time limited but usually for several months.  The ones we purchased in January run out in July. You can pick up a basic PYG mobile for less than 20€.  Worst case you could always call UK to use up your vouchers to use up rather than them going to waste?

Like 0      
07 May 2008 12:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just got this from Martin's money saving site

Cheap Mobile Roaming: New Sim Card, pay £15 get £20 credit! Updated Article
Using mobiles abroad can cost a fortune, commonly as high as £1/min for making and receiving calls. One solution is to use an international Sim card; cutting calling costs and making it free to receive calls in some countries. One of the normal cheapest providers Sim4Travel currently has a promotional offer through various websites for the first 10,000 customers (which we've managed to blag for MoneySavers) you can either get a £10 credit Sim for £8.49 (usually £16) and £20 credit for £16 (usually £26). Full info/alternatives/pros and cons in the Updated Article: Cheap Mobile Roaming Related Articles: Cheap Flights, Cheapest Travel Insurance, Spending Overseas

Like 0      
07 May 2008 4:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I bought a Vodafone PAYG sim card when last over. It cost €30 with a 25€ credit. You can change the system to give you instructions, balances, etc in English. I asked the question about top ups and was told that if you do not top up for 9 months they send you a text and if not in 12 months the line is de- activated.

Mark

Like 0      
16 May 2008 9:47 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I bought a Movistar payasugo phone years ago.  The reception is one of the best that you can get and I top it up every six months with the minimum 5e.

Last year I updated the phone for just over 30e to a much smaller one which fits into a purse.  It came with 12e of credit.

You can just buy a sim card if your phone isn't tied into a particular user.  I think they cost around 25e.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 1:52 PM by info Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

HOW TO REDUCE YOUR MOBILE PHONE BILL CONSIDERABLY.

This applies to those with with contracts that are closer to their expiry date than their start date, though we cannot verify this as it seems each case is treated individually.

We have done this with Telefonica, Orange and Vodafone over the past 3 years

1 Call your provider and have your account details handy. 

2 Ask to go "de baja" immediately and quote their competitors latest offer,  telling your provider that their competitor´s offer has made you decide to switch providers.

3 They should transfer you through to their "cancellations department".

4. Repeat step 2 above.  Ignore all offers they make you, continue to repeat step 2 above until they offer to reduce your phone bill for the remainder of your contract period. We found they offered about by 30%.

5. Send us a nice bunch of flowers. If we had done this sooner we would have saved hundreds of Euros!

This message was last edited by info on 6/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 2:08 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
I agree with Semi that Movistar has better coverage than Vodafone.  However unless you are in a very inaccessible spot Vodafone usually is ok.  

Mark  - I think you will find that it is only 6 months they give you and they don't let you know - they just cut you off.  We have two lots of friends who have had this problem and lost a load of credit.  In order  to avoid it you need to activate your account on line so that you can pay on line the minimum €5 if you are out of the country.  In order to do this you have to do one recharge at any 4B bank (eg Banco de Andalucia).   There is no cost for doing this.  Thereafter you go on line at Vodafone.es and follow the instructions for activating your account on line.

We have just been through a costing exercise as we have no Vodafone coverage at our new house and we have had to go with Movistar.  They seem to be appreciably more expensive and they don't offer such interesting special offers either on PAYG or on contract, as Vodafone do, as far as we can see.

However we did have the experience of Vodafone offering us  new 3G phone (and apparently a good call cost deal) as soon as they got the notificaction that we wanted to change provider. No good to us as it turned out because the whole purpose of the exercise was to get a provider who we can receive when we move.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 5:22 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I get a lot of text messages offering various special offers, occasionally they do a limited offer of doubling any credit you add.

When we bought our phones both my husband and I had an the offer of doubling the credit to a maximun 25e.

I paid 69e for my phone but when we got one for OH we got a Nockia for 39e

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

electiricity problems - 4 posts
Colinas de Lago-Los Balcones - 2 posts
just wanted to say 'hi' - 2 posts
Montemayor property for sale - 2 posts
Can anyone suggest any English owned companies in the Murcia region? - 6 posts
Flight from Newcastle to Malaga for sale - 0 posts
Estepona del Coral portal - 0 posts
Polaris - La Loma - 12 posts
Employed in UK live Spain - 1 posts
El Pinet,La Marina Elche - 1 posts
Long term car rent, from 1 - 6 months? - 2 posts
newcomers in Spain - 7 posts
Looking for a place from 7th May La Zenia Area. - 0 posts
A few questions before the big move, 12th May - 16 posts
Structural Survey - 1 posts
WARNING... ALMERIA .... MAYOR OF ZURGENA ARRESTED - 1 posts
Flexible, english speaking employment, nationwide in Spain - 6 posts
latest pictures thalassa visit www.nuevosvecinos.com - 0 posts
EDITING POSTS - 2 posts
Good restaurants in the Duquesa Area - 92 posts
How to avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax - 25 posts
fire baskets - 0 posts
Not what but where? - 18 posts
hi we are tonden - 2 posts
Meeting - 09/06/07 - 54 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x