Will the EX Rate ever go back up?

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2010 4:50 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I would say a hung parliament is a vote of no confidence across the board resulting in no confidence in sterling resulting in a fall....lets hope i am wrong.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 7:03 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

The election result will have an impact on the exchange rate on Friday whichever way it goes. A hung parliament will bring STG down but a Conservative victory will see it rise probably towards 1.20! 

David

Like 0      
05 May 2010 7:42 PM by kirjim2 Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

dont write off labour they will bring continuity and stability to the brits and have a positive impact on the exchange rate, although greece appears to be having the biggest impact.

Kirjim2

Like 0      
05 May 2010 8:33 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

This thread is about the exchange rate. I admit I don't consider a Labour victory likely but a majority for any party will be better for Stirling than a hung parliament

David

Like 0      
07 May 2010 3:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Dropped 3c from the heady heights of 1.186 at 3pm yesterday 

Mark

Like 0      
08 May 2010 12:55 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Sterling opened at 1.164 this morning, and is down to 1.160 as we speak!

We all feared a run on sterling if the UK General Election resulted in a hung Parliament, and there is!

Not as bad as everyone thought, because there is much speculation on the Lib Dems doing a deal with the Conservatives or with Labour.

All I can say is "Hurry up Nick Clegg and get your party to make its mind up... as time is running out for Sterling!"

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 May 2010 1:08 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

As I said, a hung parliament was already priced in to the exchange rate.  There has been no big drop in Sterling against the euro.  The big drop then bounce back were probably more to do with the carnage on the DOW Jones and nothing to do with the election.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 May 2010 1:43 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Surely the carrnage on Wall Street was as a result of continuing concerns about Eurozone economies and the inability of Europe to do all that is required to deal with it rather than the other way round. Stirling doing better than expected is also because of Eurozone problems. If a deal is struck to provide stable government in the UK that will be good for stg. Equally if a deal is done to underwrite PIGS debt that will be good for the €uro.

David

Like 0      
09 May 2010 3:00 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Davmunster - Couldn't agree more!

That's why I said what I said below.

A hung parliament had been priced in slightly, but it was the rumours flying around the markets about what was happening with Greece and the rest of the Euro zone economies that weekend the Euro, as Sterling was still weaker against the Dollar last week.

So, we could still see a run on Sterling from tomorrow if the hung parliament looks like continuing into the week, as there will be doubts on the UK economy.

Likewise we could see a run on the Euro if there is no agreement announced tonight between the 27 countries involved, as there will be doubts about the Euro zone economies.

Bit of a see-saw situation at the mo!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
09 May 2010 3:30 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

A hung parliament was fully priced in as the exchange rate now is more or less exactly where it was in the days leading up to the election.  I agree that if a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition or arrangement is not forthcoming in the next few days then this could have implications for Sterling.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
25 May 2010 1:21 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Looks like the exchange rate has held up well, despite claims by some of a hung parliament hammering Sterling.  It's currently 1.174 as I write this.  Hopefully once the UK deficit is tackled and growth resumes, the rate will head further up, and I will get a nice pay rise!!

Like 0      
25 May 2010 2:24 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I was back in the UK last week and i caught up with an old friend who works for a finance house in the City.

He has told me that if the UK can continue to kid everyone that it is sorting it's act out and the likes of Angela Merkel continue to put the fear of god into everyone concerning the demise of the European finances we could see a big fall in the Euro.

The only problem is that UK must be seen to be recovering or they will both suffer AGAIN.

He told me that if a number of financial equations come together as expected we could see 1.30+ again very soon against sterling.

The Lib/con pairing are making the right noises at the moment to help sterling but once they actually start coming across the numerous skeletons in many unopened closets we may see the UK fall back into demise.

On a different note, i must say that enjoying a British summertime (if not brief) i was pleasantly reminded of how beautiful the British countryside can be.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2010 2:02 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Fingers crossed....four sterling pension payments due this week and the exchange rate is much better than it has been in ages...at the moment its 1.199:1.

Also have some USD cheques to pay in to the bank and the dollar / euro rate looks pretty good too at 1.216:1

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
01 Jun 2010 2:04 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Yeah, it looks like it's ready to break the 1.20 barrier.  I'm not sure if this is due to the euro being screwed or if it is a clever game being played by the ECB to devalue the euro.  Either way, I don't care.  It means a nice little pay rise for me.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2010 2:07 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Who Cares!... More of the same please!

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
02 Jun 2010 9:28 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

It's through the 1.20 barrier.

Currently at 1.205 as I type.

Keep going!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
02 Jun 2010 10:05 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

For Justin really......

Wouldn't it be a really good addition to the site if you put a currency exchange banner across the site.

I have the Moneycorp one on my laptop, it's a real time feed constantly changing and updating as it streams across.

I find it really useful.

Just a thought.

1.204 as i type.......

maybe one of my predictions will actually come through.......come on 1.30!!!!!!!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2010 10:22 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes, good news. If you read this though http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10150007.stm it just goes to show what a shocking dire mess the worlds economy is in, I can't see much more upside for the pound in the short term.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2010 10:40 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Georgia

I use this http://www.hifx.co.uk/marketwatch.aspx I have it up all day in the background

S

Like 0      
02 Jun 2010 10:49 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

interesting read.

I was suprised to see the UK was in more trouble than Spain although i suppose you have to factor in the ability to recover?!!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts
looking for rental from 1st May - 1 posts
Bad Smells! - 0 posts
Buses Routes - 1 posts
jumillia - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 271

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x