Switching Mortgage from Spain to UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
Would it make sense to switch my mortgage from my Spanish property to my UK property now that the Euro seems to be gaining in strength, possibly moving towards convergence with the pound? By switching I could pay off my Spanish Mortgage. (With no penalty), and have a smallish mortgage on my UK property where I know one pound = one pound rather than One pound = ?Euros.
Any comments / advice would be welcome.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2008 4:16 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

Don't forget that by switching to a property in UK you will loose any mitigation of the Spanish wealth tax that you currently have and do you have the necessary euro already in Spain or would you have to buy some because it is a very bad time to buy large amount. 

Like 0      
23 Feb 2008 5:22 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
I already pay Spanish Wealth tax as I still live in the UK. Yes it is a bad time to buy euros and that's the gamble. Is is going to get worse? E.g. Will my €1000.00 mortgage become £1000.00?

Thanks for the reply

Like 0      
23 Feb 2008 7:41 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

Yes as a non-dom you do pay Spanish Wealth tax but that should be reduced by the amount of your mortgage set against the value of your property. I f you close the Spanish mortgage the wealth tax will increase because you cannot count your UK mortgage against a UK property against your wealth tax in Spain.

According to the medium term outlook published by several of the Exchange Companies the value should bump along at about the current rate with a gentle rise toward the end of the year. My guess would be if you average out from now to the end of the year the interbank rate would be 1.34 - 1.35.

This message was last edited by JohnKath on 2/23/2008.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 4:24 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Plus you would need to take into consideration your inheritance tax liability in Spain.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

newcomers - 1 posts
Where is best place to get kitchen appliances ? - 2 posts
BEWARE PROCESSIONAL CATERPILLARS - 20 posts
BMIBABY Free Flights - 2 posts
4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNOW YOUR MOBILE COULD DO! - 6 posts
Roda Golf - 12 posts
Update - 0 posts
What has happened to EOS? - 23 posts
Radio 4 - 1 posts
Exchanging properties? - 1 posts
New development. What do people usually do for digital TV - 14 posts
Public Transport - 3 posts
Telephone & Broadband Packages - 6 posts
Telephone & Broadband Packages - 3 posts
rf1798+ rf 1965 - 0 posts
Join in the celebrations for More's 3,000th post party. - 61 posts
CAR RENTAL FOR RENTERS - 0 posts
football clubs for kids? - 7 posts
Project - University of Roehampton - 5 posts
Tour Of Jardines At Condado De Alhama - 2 posts
whats it really like? - 8 posts
working with the elderley in torrevieja - 42 posts
Bilbao or Santander - 4 posts
re - 0 posts
Replacement Shutters - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x