"Padron" what is it

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

I have been reading through some stuff on the web site about water,electric and rubbish collection charges.Someone says that they are registered on the "padron"at the local town hall.Can someone please tell me what that means and if its a big hassle to get registered ?

Thank you ;

all the best

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 12:08 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
It´s very easy to register. Just go to your town hall and take your NIE or passport or residencia if resident and a copy of your Escritura/tile deeds or rental contract (If renting). The official will identify your address on a map and issue your empadronamiento or padron for short. There may be a small charge for each person you register at the address. The town hall can then claim a larger capitation of funds from central government that pays for more facilities in the town. The padron register is used for statistics as well, recording the population etc.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 12:19 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you for that I will pop down to the town hall on my next trip,

all the best

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 12:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Gilly & John

It cost us nothing to get on the Padron, we are also non residents. As Gillespie says the town hall can obtain funding for each home registered to pay for police, fire dept, schooling, health care etc so it's quite important.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 1:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

19 Feb 2008 2:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just go to your town hall and take your NIE or passport or residencia if resident and a copy of your Escritura/tile deeds or rental contract (If renting).

Is that the whole escritura or just a specific part? the escritura is a huge document of about 100 pages and lugging it around Vera (I won't manage to get up early enough for a decent parking space ) will be a right pain.

Mark

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 2:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Your copia simple will suffice.

INFO ON PADRON

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 2:49 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
100 pages on an escritura????? What do you own Markfish? The Mojacar Hilton!!!

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 2:56 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Seriously, the amount of paper I got from my solicitor when I went in last week was about 2" thick!! Is the copia simple in amongst that lot somewhere?

Mark

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 3:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Guess it could be. Mark,  though we were given our Copia Simple when we completed then needed to wait months for the escritura proper to come from land registry. Our Copia Simple is a few pages & the escritura is more a small file. Our Copia Simple has (guess) COPIA SIMPLE typed across the top.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 3:23 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
In the early 90´s I owned an Office equipment company in the North East of England. We had the county council contract to supply copier paper to all the Colleges and Universities, not to mention schools, police stations, hospitals, and coucil departments. 1 University alone would require four pallets of paper per month. 60 boxes per pallet, 5 reams(2500 sheets per box) equalled 600,000 sheets per delivery. A 100 page escritura is now put into perspective. ;+)

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 6:34 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

This thread really interested me, as I thought the Padron was for residents only and was equivalent to our Electoral Roll

Now I know about it helping to fund facilities in our area and is open to Non Residents, I will be making a trip to register too.

Thanks Gillespie, your post was very useful.

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
20 Feb 2008 4:39 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I think it depends on where you live to how easy it is to get on the Padron.

I'm in Torrevieja and 3 years ago I decided to register, I collected my ticket and waited about 1 1/2 hours to be seen.  I wasn't allowed to register as I was told I had to live there for 11 months before I could sign. 

Last year I understand this changed but it could have something to do with the elections.

Maybe we'll try again in March and see what happens this time.

I've read on other forums that people who had recently moved to live in Orihuela Costa where being turned away from the padron office and told not to come back until they were residents!  As they were trying to get on the padron to enrol their children in school they were not best pleased.  It would seem that the law has changed recently and as per usual it depends on how the officials are interpreting this change to how they act.

That's what I think happend in my padron fiasco.

My understanding is that you sign on in the area of your main residence in Spain but it all depends on who you see when you get there.

Perhaps we should have a list of who has been successful, could always go down the other route and buy a car.  The dealer will probably arrange the padron for you!

Like 0      
20 Feb 2008 9:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
It actually is  interesting for  the Administration to have real figures on the Padron, so the door is always open to people who can prove that they live in Spain .

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Feb 2008 10:20 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

We did our pardon last year and I believe that a few concessions went with that ie you could use the main swimming pool in the village for free in the summer.   But I think I am right in saying being non residents we have to renew it, am I right in thinking this or have I GOT THAT WRONG.    Pat

Like 0      
21 Feb 2008 9:38 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you have children of school age then you would need to update your padron yearly as it is only valid for the first 3 months of issue.

Possibly the same would apply for car purchase but as I said previously the dealer would probably do that for you to ensure a sale.

Can't think of any other reason for renewing it at the moment.

I've owned my house for over 4 years, the previous owner moved to Australia but I still get electoral communications and christmas cards from the mayor addressed to her.

Maria - I do appreciate that the figures maybe out of sync with the overall residencia statistics by allowing non residents to sign on to the padron.

By not signing on then any regular visitors to Spain are putting a strain on an undermanned police force.

I go out to the house for a total of 3 months but when my husband decides to reduce the amount of hours he works then we could be out there for 2 months at a time.  My suggestion is to work 2 months in UK, spend 2 months in Spain etc etc.

Also as a house owner I'd like to have a say in what happens in my local cummunity, I pay my taxes why can't I vote.

Perhaps then I'll get my own christmas card

Like 0      
21 Feb 2008 9:43 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi, Just thought I would pass on what I have read in the local free paper in the last few weeks

Apparantly the law has now changed since January of this year. It said that you now have to have residency before you can sign on the padron.Maybe Maria can confirm this?

coolyes

Like 0      
21 Feb 2008 9:56 AM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

I think that it is only oriheula town hall as we fall into this category.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2008 11:43 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I'm totally confused now!

As a Non Resident, should we register or not?

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
21 Feb 2008 12:50 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

everybody should sign on the padron........

There have been instances where facilities have been withdrawn as the town hall have stated that they were unaware of the amount of people living there.

For example, on one urbanisation the Farmacia was moved and then suddenly the residents were up in arms.......

The town hall answered this with "we didnt know you lived there!!!" and rightly so.

In Algorfa to register on the padron takes all of about 20 minutes of your time,fill the forms out and go back to collect your certificate in 2 days.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Our pets - 28 posts
Replacement shutters - 0 posts
Handing back property to the bank - 4 posts
Am i allowed to recomend trades men on this site? Air Con Company? - 5 posts
New kids on the block - 14 posts
Happy Spanish experiences - 0 posts
Valencian land grab - 0 posts
Col - 1 posts
ArranLeeSmith(lorrainebraid)secret snaps! - 0 posts
Hello Everyone - 1 posts
RANGE ROVER VOGUE 2005 4.4 V8 WHITE MINT CONDITION - 5 posts
PMs - An apology - 2 posts
Corrugated plastic roofing panels - 2 posts
Another bit of fun ( ? ) - 9 posts
Bankrupt constructor in Murcia - 1 posts
Urb.St.Louis. - 9 posts
Spanish Law. - 1 posts
So near yet so far - 4 posts
Newcomer - 9 posts
Headlights on English car - 1 posts
Motor trade contacts - 1 posts
Doggy Dilemma - 10 posts
Bereaved? - 28 posts
Hard Water Area - 0 posts
Cartagena, Costa Blanca photos, please add more. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x