Property again - Guardian 6/2/08

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Another little tale of woe! But what buying opportunities there maybe over the next couple of years! Every cloud.........!
www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,,2253110,00.html

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 12:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Gosh, am I so tempted to yawn here !

Regarding Mrs Knowles Speaking little Spanish, she didn't realise that the deeds to the land were not what they seemed. THAT IS WHY WE USE LAWYERS !!  Later in report it says Mrs. Knowles said "The worst thing is that I feel like I have let my husband down, not once but twice, by being conned. I've wasted the life insurance money,"  She wasn't "conned" surely the first time, she seemed negligent in not understanding the need for a good lawyer. After all it wasn't a case of just buying an off plan property which indeed has its own set of problems !

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 1:39 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Mmmm....one of the more positive stories, how refreshing - not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 4:59 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Does not help the people involved and I hope in due course everything turns out OK but this is a very old storey which has been in the newspapers before

What the reporter  does not say is that with new regulations and the fact that most people who are planning to buy in 2008 ,know that they have to treat buying in Spain with the same care as they do in UK, so the risks are no greater

Do this and use professional agents and everything will go OK

Perhaps all the bad press has an upside...........making it safe to buy now  

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 1:19 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb  said - quote

''What the reporter  does not say is that with new regulations and the fact that most people who are planning to buy in 2008 ,know that they have to treat buying in Spain with the same care as they do in UK, so the risks are no greater. Do this and use professional agents and everything will go OK''

......i would say that through my experience and many others,  they still need to treat buying in Spain as a potential minefield. Buying in the UK is a dream in comparison, i've just done it.  I agree that all the bad publicity should give much better warnings of the pitfalls, but the whole legal/justice system in Spain will not  often protect you in Spain like it does in the UK. Buyer beware is still very apt!  The risks are FAR greater in my opinion and is obvious by recent horror stories which are the tip of the iceburg.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 1:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi goodstich, R U hanging in there still ?

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 1:45 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi Morerosado

yeh'  thanks, still hanging in, court case in May, so should be an interesting time coming up. You would think all the bad publicity would perphaps help our case, but hard to be to confident. Much seems to depent on which side of the bed the judge got out from!

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 2:21 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Goodstitch, you are quite right to differenciate between UK and Spanish buying processes. Spain is still very much a miss-understood buying process. Caused at the begging of this process by inexperienced agents, even when their intentions may be good. These types of agents cause as much grief to buyers as the crooked or hardselling agents. The outcome is usually the buyer is the loser. The large amounts of illegal property both new and resale is almost always the cause of buyers catastrophies. There is plenty of information out there which is logical and easy to understand, however buyers from the UK are not used to having to do so much research just to simply own a property. They don´t need to do it in the UK in their own language so to have to do so in Spain is quite a problem. To find a good agent and lawyer is not easy. For one, how does anyone new to the area know who is good and who isn´t. It´s usually done on personality and trust, sadly some of the best con-men portray nice personalities and are silver tongued enough to take many people in. Until our industry is more tightly regulated we shall always have these cases. In the meantime, if the legal elements are improved to speed up compensations and refunds, while at the same time ensuring those found guilty can never operate again, by that I mean, Agents, lawyers, developers, Mayors and all, then at least some confidence can return to what is at present a very sorry marketplace.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 2:27 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Gillespie, r u working out of the Los Alcazares office ?

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 2:32 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Yes morerosado, lovely and peaceful here. Wish I didn´t have to say that though.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 3:51 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Gillespie

yes, that pretty much sums it up sadly. Looking on the positive side, at least the bad publicity is gathering steam, and hopefully Spain will be forced to change soon by public opinion/action . Nothing else seems to have much effect?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

First Time member - 2 posts
Good Agent in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Long let wanted in Costa del Sol, nice location. - 1 posts
Changing lawyer - 5 posts
Scrapped Spanish Vehicles - 1 posts
Air Port Car Hire - 76 posts
Is there a best month to buy? - 33 posts
Community Law - 2 posts
Polaris in financial difficulties - 10 posts
addresses for b/bs and small hotels in fortuna - 14 posts
Coeliac - Where can I get gluten-free supplies - 5 posts
Gardening Leave - 3 posts
Tony - 1 posts
Translation - 5 posts
Fun - 8 posts
Working in Spain for uk company - 3 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 2 posts
Hello Everyone - 5 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 0 posts
LONG LET WANTED PLAYA FLAMENCA - 0 posts
Rental Wanted - 6 posts
pozo del esparto apartment - 1 posts
English television in Spain - 1 posts
looking for rental - 1 posts
Spending OUR money !!!!!!!!!! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x