Changing lawyer

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Nicola Star rating in Nottingham. 7 posts Send private message

Hi -

We are in the process of changing lawyer as we stupidly went with the one suggested by the estate agent.  So far we have paid half of their fee up front and for this they appear to have sorted the initial contract, a smaller additional arrangement for a subsequent garage space in the apartment block and arranged nie for both of us. When we instructued them of our desire to move lawyers they asked us to pay 500 euros and when we asked for a breakdown of what the charges were for, we received a copy of an account with one sum of money on it and an explanation it was for  "phone calls, e-mails, paperwork etc".

Our new lawyer does not want to get involved and advised us that legal fees must be charged in accordance with the Local Law Bar rates and we have a right to make a formal complaint if their level of service is not equal to the fees charged or if they are excessive.

Has anyone got any experience they can share? or advice on what we should do?  Can they refuse to  pass on the documents to our new lawyer if we don't pay? 

Thanks in advance, Nicola

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 12:17 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Nicola.

Get in touch with Maria who posts on this forum.

She's a lawyer & helps us all freely. She'll advise.

Email her on mldecastro@costaluzlawyers.es     or    marialuisa@costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. De Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

Like 0      
07 Feb 2008 9:52 PM by Lucy_GM Star rating in Spain. 20 posts Send private message

Nicola,

The local Law Bar rates are just indicative, I mean, your lawyers can charge you more than that. You can change your lawyer if you wish, but i would suggest to try to sort this out friendly with the lawyers you mentioned.

And they have to pass on the documentation to your new advisors.

Regards,

Lucy.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2008 12:39 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Nicola,

I feel your old Lawyer is "Trying" it on? If youve paid half of the legal fees already then there can be little arguement about additional costs unless youve instructed them to do other work in addition to the routine purchase contract? Your fees should include basic expenses and answering emails.

I would just ask your new Lawyer to arrange to collect your file as we did when we sacked our own useless solicitor. I agree it's not for him to get involved with your previous lawyers Fee Account. Keep pushing and if necessary threaten to report them to the Authorities!!!

Mike T

Like 0      
11 Feb 2008 8:46 PM by Nicola Star rating in Nottingham. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice.  After several e-mails, we're still no further and the solicitor is now saying that we owe them the remaining money because most of the work has been done - it appears they are playing games with us so that we'll settle for the 500 euros!  We definitely haven't asked them to do anything out of the ordinary, in fact we hardly heard from them.

We have definitely passed a point of no return in our relationship with them and I don't wish to pay them another euro.  I understand that threatening the authorities doesn't mean much in Spain, especially when they have our documents and they know we're getting close to completion.

The only positive I can take from this is that they clearly aren't an ethical law firm and I shouldn't be trusting them with my hard earned euros.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2008 11:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
NIcola:

Have your new lawyer asking them for your documentation. They are obligued to inmediate release nas can be reported to the Bar Assosication.

Best wishes,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Scrapped Spanish Vehicles - 1 posts
Air Port Car Hire - 76 posts
Is there a best month to buy? - 33 posts
Community Law - 2 posts
Polaris in financial difficulties - 10 posts
addresses for b/bs and small hotels in fortuna - 14 posts
Coeliac - Where can I get gluten-free supplies - 5 posts
Gardening Leave - 3 posts
Tony - 1 posts
Translation - 5 posts
Fun - 8 posts
Working in Spain for uk company - 3 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 2 posts
Hello Everyone - 5 posts
Villa Wanted:CASH BUYER - 0 posts
LONG LET WANTED PLAYA FLAMENCA - 0 posts
Rental Wanted - 6 posts
pozo del esparto apartment - 1 posts
English television in Spain - 1 posts
looking for rental - 1 posts
Spending OUR money !!!!!!!!!! - 3 posts
Benalmadena International College - 0 posts
Theory tests in Spain (online) - 1 posts
Spanish Income Tax on rental income for non residents - 28 posts
GOOD GAME - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x