Help with Law Courts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by fruitloop Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi to all

We have a problem, we are taking our builders to court they have agreed to freeze their assets. The court has asked us to pay 18000 euros in the event  we lose the case the solicitor says we have 95% chance of winning.

The only problem we got is we do not have this amount of money would it be wise to try & borrow the money.

We are in a dilemia.    Has anyone had this situtation and what was the outcome.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Like 0      
20 Dec 2007 8:04 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Just my opinion

If  you do not have the money then I would not borrow to take the case to Court.  95% odds is not good enough  IMO and from the recent cases that I know of that have been lost, I would not risk it in the present climate of "Spanish Justice"! (It beggars belief) Your lawyer,however good ,cannot predict the outcome.

It is reasonable to pay some money upfront  but 18,000euros is a lot to pay.  Good Luck.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2007 8:03 AM by yayuer Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

"The court has asked us to pay 18000 euros in the event  we lose the case"

Why do you have to pay 18000 euros ? I can´t understand

Like 0      
28 Dec 2007 9:15 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

What the Judge is asking you to give is not a penalty but a  guarantee, think of a contraguarantee.

In those cases where a claimant is asking for a preventive freezing of  any of the defendant´s assets, it is obligatory ( according to Provision 728 of the  Civil Procedure Act) to give a contra-guarantee against the guarantee that the freezing implies.  The reason for that is to prevent the possible damages that the defendant might suffer if the freezing results as  not founded at the end of the litigation.  This guarantee ( the 18000 €)  can be cash money or any other kind of guarantee ( i.e.- joint guarantee) that the Judge considers enough and executive.

Know that the preventive freezing of assets is not obligatory, juat as you know, an optional guarantee for the reinforcement of your credit rights against the deffendant if it is in serious financial difficulties or have a big list of creditors.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 12/28/2007.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Information on OLVERA,RONDA - 0 posts
Anyone else having forum trouble? - 6 posts
Voluntary dismissal - 23 posts
Anyone used rentalsystems.com? - 8 posts
Managing an S.L. Company in Spain - 5 posts
Graphic Designer / Signwriter - 0 posts
Anyone ever succesfully swapped to another completed Aifos Development ? - 26 posts
What is this? - 19 posts
Arenal Golf - 0 posts
Couple estepona for 2 years looking for st line beach apartment for LTR - 0 posts
Zodiac Villas nightmare. - 25 posts
Ice Skating in Orihuela - 3 posts
Does valuation really matter? - 13 posts
Tenerife, Oasis La Caleta, La Caleta. - 4 posts
mcneils bistro flamenca beach complex - 0 posts
Wonderful Internet - 3 posts
help - 0 posts
Are you travelling from/to a BAA airport over Christmas? You may want to read this. - 2 posts
lawyer needed urgent - 1 posts
Sat Nav in Spain - 7 posts
Freeview in Spain - 44 posts
Belmonte International San Miguel de Salinas, Alicante - 3 posts
Does anyone know a locksmith in the Orihuela/Murcia area - 6 posts
Locksmith in the Orihuela/Murcia area - 0 posts
advice - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x