What's wrong with my Lemon tree?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

I have a lemon tree which has its second crop of lemons on it.  The last crop of lemons were yellow, big and juicy but this years are still green and don't seem to be growing although there are plenty of them.  The whole plant (leaves and fruit) is covered in black dots and some of the leaves are brown and curled up.  The branches seem to be growing but with very few leaves.  The plant is on the top terrace and I have moved it out of the wind to see of that helps but my Mandarin Orange tree which is also situated there is fine with lovely fruit.  I re-potted the tree in to a bigger pot about 3 months ago as i thought it was becoming root bound but things have not improved.  Any ideas as to the cause and a cure please?

Like 0      
23 Nov 2007 11:17 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Sounds like its turned into a lime tree! 

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
23 Nov 2007 2:52 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Black spots sounds like some sort of a disease.

Does the black stuff come off easily or is it inside the leaf?

It could be that you have some sort of mite or other pest. Inspect your tree carefully, especially the undersides of leaves. Are the leaves sticky?

If you know a good garden shop it might be best to take a leaf and show them. You can probably get this under control by spraying, but then you should better not eat the fruit for a season just in case you're poisoning yourself too.

Curled leaves normally have one of two causes. These are either too much or too little water. When you repotted the tree, did you take care to put in adequate drainage? Are you watering too much or too little.

Also check the pH of your soil. You may need to add nutrients or minerals.

Are these long branches you are concerned about coming out of older branches, or directly from the main stem? If they are coming from too low down they may be from below the graft which means they won't fruit for a number of years, but the quality of the fruit will still be okay (citrus grown from seed is almost always true to type, although most garden centres vehemently deny the fact because it hurts their business). If you don't want to wait that long, cut them back.

If they're not that type of shoots, just be patient, sometimes citrus trees just go through phaes of strange growth and then recover.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2007 4:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I bet our member, LauryC would know. She is a very keen gardener & also an expert in palms. (Not that a lemon tree is a palm but you get my meaning !) Laury, pop in & help, please. Why don't you send her a PM,

This message was last edited by morerosado on 11/23/2007.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2007 12:52 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Thanks for your help Amogles I am now pretty sure I have been over-watering.  The new branches are long and growing out of the older ones.  I think I'll take some of the leaves to the garden centre that I bought the plant from and see what they say thanks for the help.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2007 12:01 AM by CaroleM Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Hi

I had the same problem with my lemon tree and was told that I was definetly over watering

Carole

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi my name is zero, can you help? - 3 posts
building materials - 5 posts
Another New Member - 14 posts
Long Term Parking At Almeria - 4 posts
3 Further photo's Condado (jardines) - 19 posts
Gutted!! - 21 posts
Public transport to airports - 6 posts
Money Back - 1 posts
snagging list not required before purchase??? - 3 posts
Manzanares golf course - 1 posts
Upset at Manilva Beach - 4 posts
currencey exchange - 20 posts
Police Denuncia Form pdf file. (Translated into English too.) - 2 posts
Guide to Duquesa - 10 posts
Hyundai accent, 1.3, - 0 posts
the new cheese shop in san miguel - 7 posts
FOOTIE AVATARS - 4 posts
Recommended agents -thinking of selling in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Euromarina Properties - 3 posts
The cheese board in san miguel? - 2 posts
Agua Mediterraneo 9 - Torrevieja- Anybody know it??? - 1 posts
Rental in Costa Calida short or long term - 2 posts
Got our money back!!! - 10 posts
Buying on Entre Naranjos - 13 posts
Las Kalendas,Fortuna - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x