A question for Justin regarding privacy in our PMs.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Justin

I was chatting with Georgia when I was in Spain, about the PM facility which you said was secure. (I'd asked you some time ago, in a thread which now I can't locate, if you & your team were privy to members private exchanges & you said no but you could see amount of "action" ! )

We wondered how you deleted certain PMs some members received from a rogue member if you couldn't read our mail. The PM I refer to is this one that Georgia actually posted.. Georgia said he didn't tell you about it. We're confused. Please advise us.

10/24/2007 4:15:00 PM

lilianbaby

Sent to:

georgia

Hello
My name is Lilian i saw your profile on this site and admire it i think we can make it together, therefore i would like you to contact me back throug my email address thus:(lilian4u_b@yahoo.co.uk) i will tell you more about myself  and i will also send you my photo  as soon as you contact me back. Hopping to hear from you soonest,  UNDERSTAND  THAT  LOVE  IS  ONE,
Lilian WITH LOVE AND TRUST (lilian4u_b@yahoo.co.uk)
          Love & Kiss.

i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you i wii tell you

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 6:38 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I think it's a case of deleting all pm's by this "person" not just in the boxes of those who reported that particular person.  I too received the same pm, but didn't report it before Justin had deleted it from my personal inbox.

It's not a point of Justin reading the pms, it's the fact that he's had enough complaints about this particular "member" and has deleted all the pms from that particular person, I would think.

But I would also add that, as an administrator, I would think the EOS team could read any PM if they wanted to, so long as they had the right access.  That's a privilege/right that comes with being the website owner/administrator.  As to whether they would or not, that's a different matter!!  EOS also has a responsibility to their members and others, so (again, I would think!!) obviously has access to what is stored on their server.  Any company has access to what is stored on their server, in their employee's email accounts, etc!!

Again, just my opinion, but seems logical!

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 9:01 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Pitby is correct in that if we really wanted to we could read the PMs....but we never created the facility to do this.  We have absolutely NO interest in PMs, it's difficult enough to just keep on top of the nearly 1000 active development forums on this site and another 3000 active forums on Eye on Worldwide....and we don't even do a very good job of that!

We do however have the facility to delete all PMs sent by an individual.  We just enter the user name and click delete and that's it.  Takes two seconds.  We need this facility to remove spam.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Nov 2007 12:02 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Justin

When I asked you previously in this thread >>>  New features coming.... you did say "The only data we have is the actual number of PMs sent by each person.  We use this data to monitor usage but no one here has access to the actual PMs.  They are strictly private."     That isn't now what you're saying. "if we really wanted to we could read the PMs." So, you can read our private messages ? (I appreciate you say you wouldn't.)

17 Jul 2007 3:11 PM

EOS Team
Star rating

EOS Team´s avatar

I'm in Costa del Sol

I've made 1487 posts

Send private message to EOS Team

This post belongs to the following thread: New features coming....

morerosado, we take privacy very seriously.  We do NOT monitor PMs.  The only data we have is the actual number of PMs sent by each person.  We use this data to monitor usage but no one here has access to the actual PMs.  They are strictly private.  We rely on members to report spam and PM abuse to us.  We will be implementing a feature soon which will make is much easier for people to report PM spam to us.

Also, it is impossible for anyone other than the two communicating to read your messages.

It is the security aspect of this system which has been the reason it has taken so long to implement.

Anyway, hope you're not saying anything horrible about me in your PMs

Justin

This message was last edited by morerosado on 11/9/2007.

Like 0      
09 Nov 2007 2:19 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
MoreRosado, Presumeably this forum is on Justin's computer. If that is the case then he can read everything on it, after all it is his computer. As you quite rightly state. (I appreciate you say you wouldn't.) Why on earth would he want to? I have worked in IT for over 25 years with access to emails etc. (Since email was invented that is) and I have never felt the need/compulsion to read emails or personal data, and I am very confident that I can vouch for all my co-workers to have had the same attitude as me. We are just not interested. As Justin kind of says, Even if we were, we don't have the time. Bottom Line. EVERYTHING you send out from your computer over the internet CAN BE READ BY SOMEBODY. So before you click "Send" think...

This message was last edited by patman on 11/9/2007.

Like 0      
09 Nov 2007 8:31 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
This entire website is on a dedicated server in the UK, not on my home PC.

The reason we don't have access to individual PMs is because we haven't created the facility to do so.  I don't even have time to answer my own PMs these days. 

I have absolutely no interest in PM content, it adds no value to the website at all, in fact we made do with the old basic system for ages.  It's a facility we created because most users of the previous system were really unhappy with it.

If you are really concerned then just don't use it.  You don't HAVE to use it!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Nov 2007 10:28 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
All I wanted was clarification from Justin.  

This message was last edited by morerosado on 11/9/2007.

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:40 PM by Swinging Gnome Star rating in sierra golf. 70 posts Send private message

Swinging Gnome´s avatar
Help please    how do i start a PM when i have none to use as a method of replying

Like 0      
09 May 2008 5:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Err...the PM system is a bit rubbish

You need to find a post from a member and click the link to the left of that post that says "Send private message to...."

You can then send that someone a message.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I thought this was nice, - 4 posts
Basic Healthcare - 2 posts
Anti-social behaviour - 9 posts
Proxy Vote and DNI - 4 posts
Polaris World on Watchdog - 23 posts
Costa Blanca Fish and chips - 10 posts
Swimming Pool - 0 posts
DNI requirement. for community proxy vote - 2 posts
Matt & Lou - 1 posts
Swimming Pool - 2 posts
breech of contract? - 3 posts
habitation licences advice - 28 posts
My Yorkshire Terrier pup only weighs 50 grams! - 2 posts
help with rental - 0 posts
Pressure to Complete - 30 posts
Small dog wanted - UK (Brighton/Croydon area) - 8 posts
VAN HIRE TORREVIEJA - 1 posts
new member - 3 posts
UPDATE RE LATEST VISIT - MARCH 2007 - 7 posts
Getting a trade - 1 posts
Hand over soon - 0 posts
paddle tennis - 3 posts
Which areas to be looking at? - 11 posts
Interest Rates - 4 posts
Jardines de Alhama. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x