UK Tax Liability for Spanish Property Owners

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by culves Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am a UK resident with an apartment in Spain and am a little confused as to my tax liability on rental income.

Im assuming that if my rental income exceeds my total expenses, then there will be a tax liability.  On the other hand, if its a loss position, Im assuming no tax liability.

However, I am uncertain as to what expenses I can offset against the rental income. I have a Spanish mortgage on the property and (like many others) if I off-set the  interest element against the rental income and then deduct other expenses (community of owners payments, cleaning ect) Im in a loss position.  

the question is can you offset the interest element of the mortgage?

If not and tax is due, should this be paid to the Spanish or UK tax authorities?

If it's due to the Spanish authorities, does it still need to be declared as paid to the UK authorities?

If anyone knows the answer to these questions, perhaps you could advise.

Many thanks  

Like 0      
29 Oct 2007 1:12 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I am not 100% positive of this myself, but if you are a non resident, you are unable to claim any allowances against your Spanish tax liability. The Brits and Spaniards have a dual tax treaty though, this means that you can claim some allowances back from the UK taxman. During the times in the year the apartment is for rental, you can claim back tax for mortgage interest, wear and tear (10%pa if you purchase them outright), tax on furnishings (but you cannot then claim the 10%pa), utilities, insurance, etc, etc. I downloaded a form from the Inland Revenue site (Form SA106-tax allowances) which gives you most of the information you need to know.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Planting Palm trees... - 3 posts
Recent Floods (gota fria) in Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Torrevieja? or any where else? - 50 posts
FIRST TIME BUYERS IN SPAIN - 8 posts
hello everyone - 3 posts
Stop press: Justin promises .............. - 10 posts
Anyone out there from Northern Costa Blanca ? - 14 posts
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GO - 4 posts
Baby Emma appeal - update - 4 posts
wealth tax - 28 posts
Property costs calculator - 0 posts
Mr - 14 posts
Introduction - 3 posts
Any chance of my PMs ever working again ? - 6 posts
Taxi licence...... - 0 posts
JUST INTRODUCING MYSELF :) - 9 posts
Communal Dishes - 60 posts
Introduction. - 1 posts
Restaurants close to La Torre - 7 posts
GB Airways - 0 posts
Selling off plan tax?? - 3 posts
Secluded villa wanted for photo shoot....... - 2 posts
Question about Lo crispin. - 8 posts
general information - 5 posts
Hi everyone - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x