Selling off plan tax??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Si Star rating in Lincolnshire,sold ou.... 60 posts Send private message

Si´s avatar
Hi everyone, I have made all stage payments and tax's on the 30%, the apartment is due for completion of June 2008.

Now I have had a break down of costs from my solicitor pending an offer which includes a 7% tax, this will of course mean we will make a loss and it seems silly paying 7% on my initial 30% stage payments then 7% on the purchase price when I sell then the new vendor has to pay a further 7% on the new purchase price?? Not no mention the solicitor fees agent fees and stamp fees!

Any help / advice please we are really stuck

Many thanks

Like 0      
25 Oct 2007 2:57 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Si when you are buying off plan you pay tax on the whole purchase price by law (IVA/VAT). There is also a 1% stamp duty tax on brand new property if you are the first person to take possession. You do not pay 7% IVA on the 30% deposit and then a further 7% on the overall purchase price.

If you sell on prior to completion or even when you sell post completion the buyer has to pay 7% transfer tax to Hacienda. This is the law and effectively these days no way round it. In the bad old days developers would simply tear up a purchase contract and issue a new one in the end users name but the tax office have been aware that off plan investors were not meeting their tax liabilities and it is now fairly strictly enforced. If you do not complete on the purchase the 1% Stamp Duty is only paid once by the first person to take ownership of the property. 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Oct 2007 3:18 PM by Si Star rating in Lincolnshire,sold ou.... 60 posts Send private message

Si´s avatar
Thanks Smiley, as always very helpfull.
The main point that concerns me is that when I sell pre completion I have to pay 7% Transfer of ownership tax based on the purchase price which is rather a lot!

Thanks again

Like 0      
25 Oct 2007 4:42 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Take it up with Hacienda I am sure they will lend a sympathetic ear!!! LOL!!

To be fair it is not supposed to be you that pays the TT - that is encumbent on the buyer as technically you have to pay the IVA on the full original purchase price and then the new buyer should pay the 7% TT:

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Secluded villa wanted for photo shoot....... - 2 posts
Question about Lo crispin. - 8 posts
general information - 5 posts
Hi everyone - 3 posts
english radio stations - 12 posts
Watchdog??? - 8 posts
Orihuela Costa - Development Hell - 6 posts
Road directions - 6 posts
Bank Guarantee - 0 posts
music - 2 posts
Problems with Spanish Lawyer - 4 posts
Taking everything - 8 posts
Soneyia - 3 posts
Question ( s ) of the day...........again. - 3 posts
Which mortgage conditions to chose - 21 posts
Can nigerians buy in spain? - 2 posts
lifts - 17 posts
Rights when left with Furniture Pack on Non Completion - 1 posts
Electronics - 0 posts
Acta de Acrediaci An de Finde Obra - 10 posts
Becky's Duquesa 9th November, anyone fancy it. - 94 posts
Renting property - 8 posts
Abusive clause Question - 5 posts
Cleaner - 3 posts
Capital Gains or inherited property - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x