FIR TREES

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by deak321 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

FIR TREES HAVE TWO CAUSING DAMAGE TO A BOUNDRY WALL AM I ALLOWED TO TAKE THEM DOWN

DOES ANYBODY NOW I GET GETTING DIFFERANT STORIES

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 4:47 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Not sure about spain - so this response may be quite redundant really - but I know a friend in Bagshot, Surrey whose neighbour planted a "christmas" tree (spruce, I think) and has had agony over the years, with the roots trailing across his driveway and it's now about 20 metres tall.  Only problem is he can't remove it, because the neighbours got the local "whatever" (environmentalist or what) to slap an "preservation" thing on it and it can't be removed because it's protected!!!

I believe he has slowly been pouring engine oil around it's roots!!!  Got to kill it slowly!  (By the way, the neighbours were French!!)

(Edited to say: I've nothing against the French - but he has!!)

This message was last edited by Pitby on 10/12/2007.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 6:43 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Try copper nails or rock salt ( I didn't say that )

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 7:07 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar
diesel fuel will do the trick 100% but only a bit at a time 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 7:13 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Sorry,

Just re read the original question. Who do the Fir trees belong to?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 7:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We had bother with our neighbour's conifers breaking up our patio, wanna see pics ????? DON'T TEMPT ME !!

We (hubby that is, the Royal "we" here) hammered copper piping cut into pieces into trees as well as digging a very deep trench on our land & chopping all roots on our land too in hope the blessed things would fall her way in strong winds.. Thankfully, after we'd paid out for an arboriculturalist's report, her insurance company told her she ought to have them chopped down which she did but so much hassle actually proving without a shadow of a doubt that it was her conifers that had been sole problem. She only had two cut down to ground level but has had others cut annually to agreed 3.5 metres as per arboriculturalist's report. Ruddy things shouldn't be allowed in estates with small gardens. Wait till we get to Spain as a neighbour's plonked a spiky palm by boundary. Here we go again.........................

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:40 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Morerosado, palms don't have an invasive root system, their roots tend to grow deep rather than spread.  Should never have a problem with palms near walls, pools, etc.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 10/13/2007.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 10:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
When I said "here we go again" I was meaning the hassles trying to get a neighbour to react favourably when their trees etc cause others problems. The spikey palm our neighbours in Spain have put in about a foot from the boundary has huge "leaves" that are already around 15" over onto our side by where we get out of our car. As we have their email address we could let them know that they have options. Either tie back "leaves" to trunk till the palm grows higher & it won't be the problem it is now or we shall lop them off next trip. Don't want to antagonise them as they're moving across permanently if they sell in the UK.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 3:24 PM by deak321 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

hi all thanks for the replies the trees are in my garden i meant legally can i cut them down or are the protected

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 3:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Deak, this is a forum pretty much dedicated to buying & living in Spain. I know we all deviate from that subject but it's going rather far when we are asked about if your fir trees in the UK are protected or not, don't you think ? If you don't know if they're protected how are we to know, Deak. Go enquire at  your local planning authority’s offices.

To try to help you out, cos I'm a great member check this out http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/131055

Look at Bookmarks point 4.

4 How can I find out if a tree is covered by an order?

Details of orders are available for inspection at the local planning

authority’s offices.

An official search of the local land charges register can also be

made before you purchase a property. This should reveal the

existence of a tree preservation order (or whether your property is

in a conservation area). Make sure your solicitor tells you if any

trees are protected.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:20 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Are you in the UK or Spain, Deak321?   You don't seem to mention, so far as I can see.  Either way, it is something you will have to check out locally with the authorities, I would think.  Just in case! 

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:25 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

whats the fine if you cut down a fir tree not knowing it had a preservation order? Maybe its worth it?

I didnt think they put preservation orders on fir trees

This message was last edited by AuntieEm on 10/13/2007.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:31 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
May depend on what type, but I know for sure that the one that was ripping up our friend's driveway was protected, after his neighbours called in the "tree police"!

Absolutely massive it was!  I'm sure the engine oil is starting to work now though!

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:36 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

ah there is always a way!

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 4:50 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Never heard of TPO's on fir trees. If they are yours you can cut them down. Are you sure they are Firs?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:45 PM by deak321 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

hi all  i have what will be my full time home next year house is in spain some of my neighbours say cut it down others say becareful  but i dont know what to be careful of

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I saw this though regarding felling of protected fir trees. read 5.1

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/%5Cdrftp%5C13827.asp

5.1      An application has been received for the felling of five Pine trees which are protected by a County Tree Preservation Order: South Lodge, (1979).

When I Googled it came up after I'd Googled for "protected fir trees " & the draft relates to pine trees at an address called FIR TREE COPSE.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:50 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Deak321,

Do check with your local council/authority where you are in Spain.  It may differ from region to region, I don't know.  But check it out before you do anything!!

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:52 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Aha Deak, see we are all so intrigued now. Can I ask that, in your next post, you give us a few more clues in your initial post. Just gets us to the answer, with luck, lots quicker.  

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 5:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Oh just lop them down & plead insanity. After a few months in here it comes to everyone.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Gardens, Pools, Home Services and Furniture - 7 posts
Information please - 2 posts
Dental Care for kids - 0 posts
Ryanair announces 3 new routes Bristol to France - 1 posts
Bank Of Santander - 1 posts
SHOPPING ADVISE - 7 posts
MARBELLA ILLEGAL LICENCES - 0 posts
Advice from anyone who knows Murcia/Lorca? - 5 posts
UK state Pension - 5 posts
bill & ev marshall (newcastle upon tyne) - 1 posts
SPANISH BANK HOLIDAY - 18 posts
THANKYOU - 2 posts
Completion Dates - 4 posts
Almanzora - 3 posts
competa - 2 posts
HELP NEEDED FOR OUR OWNERS - 12 posts
HELP NEEDED FOR OUR OWNERS... - 6 posts
It's Me -- Again - 0 posts
problem getting power connect. - 0 posts
Where can we buy bicycles? - 3 posts
Help Me Out - 2 posts
SPUD - 10 posts
Filipino In Need of Advice - 0 posts
LONG LET NEEDED - 3 BED IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 2 posts
CYCLING - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x