3% retention tax rules

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jan 2023 1:58 PM by andyfamily Star rating in Hertfordshire. 32 posts Send private message

We sold out appartment last year.  I have had my 3% retention tax repaid ( with interest) it took just about 1 year to get this back.  My lawyer send me the repayment notification.  My husband did not receive his.  We waited thinking that we may have to wait a bit longer for his to be returmed.  Meanwhile, the bank in Spain demanded we attend the bank to verify his identity.  We have been unable to go to Spain to do this previoulsy due to my husnad having a lung transplant and covid etc.  (We had a Santander account for 15 years, but the online banking never worked and so we opened a new account with Caixa bank).   We then found out that his new account was blocked.  We can only assume that the Tax office tried to pay in the refund but couldn't do so because of the blocked account.  We went to Spain to do the necessary. They assured us the account was unblocked and all was well.  Not so, we were then recalled back to Spain to sign again and open a nother account and close the first -  complete mess on the banks behalf.   I contacted the lawer again to ask where my hubands refund was and he said that it he was awared the same time as me - back in October.  He did not send us notification of this repayment.   He now says that there is nothing that can be done to get the money back.  Is this true ? 

This message was last edited by andyfamily on 1/16/2023.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2023 4:55 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You have already stated ''We will apply to get the 3% returned ourselves''..

Like 0      
18 Jan 2023 7:13 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi Andy family,

So sorry to hear the problems you've had,.  It's often a matter of luck and the individuaks within the firm you get to deal with in Spain - sounds like you've drawn a few short straws and your solicitor seems a bit "sleepy town"

I suggest you've probably two options: 

1) leave it for a few months, just remind your solicitor. or

2) find a good local gestor who'll do the chasing for you.  They seem to be a unique breed of professionals in Spain.  Invariably they are firms of street wise forlk that happily undertake mundate tasks like this and generally charge only modest fees for doing so.  You are probably best off with a gestor that is local to the property and recommended.

Of course it should be the solicitor who should do the job - I would certainly give them some stick.  Using a gestor should be unnecessary, but solicitors in Spain are a very mixed bunch and there seems a need for some pragmaticism.  

Good luck

Like 0      
18 Jan 2023 7:56 PM by andyfamily Star rating in Hertfordshire. 32 posts Send private message

Thank you for your reply, 

I am asking a local accountant.  I have given up with the pompous "I am god" solicitor. He has been ok with paying our taxes but would NEVER recommend him for the purchase or sale of property.  It's not as though he doesn't have exposure to articles online which gives him a "trustworthy" rating.  Bad experience for us for going with a company who has a lot of media exposure . We live and learn . ! 

Like 0      
18 Jan 2023 9:58 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I would endorse acer’s  2nd option. Many lawyers in Spain are a shambles with no accountability or effective regulation. Once they have milked you it is bye bye don’t want to know.

Like 1      
19 Jan 2023 2:07 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

It's not just lawyers, I reckon it's generally the case with banks, Insurance bods, local authorities etc and many institutions and large companies where there is a high volume of customers and personal contact.  Too often there is a complete lack of respect for the individual, compared to expectations experienced in northern Europe.

On the other hand I'm never ceased to be amazed by the truly obvious desire to provide an excellent service by local retailers and contractors, "blue collar" workers in Spain, who invariably provide excellent value for money.   You have to wonder if these good people are at all influenced by the fact that their customers have a choice!

Like 2      
20 Oct 2023 3:50 AM by tomhanks Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

In Spain, the retention tax is commonly known as "Impuesto sobre la Renta de No Residentes" (IRNR). The current retention tax rate for non-residents in Spain is 24%. This tax is usually applicable to income derived from Spanish sources, such as rental income, capital gains, or dividends. It is important to consult with a tax professional or refer to the official tax authorities for detailed and up-to-date information regarding the specific circumstances and requirements applicable to your situation.

mapquest driving directions

This message was last edited by tomhanks on 10/20/2023.

Like 1      
15 Jan 2024 9:10 AM by nikolausricky Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Here in town, I have an accountant that I am consulting.  The conceited "I am god" lawyer has now earned my frustration. I would never use him as a realtor, but he has been fine with our tax payments.  Even with his "trustworthy" rating, he clearly has access to publications online.  We had a negative experience since we partnered with a company that receives a lot of press. Whatever happens, we adapt.  basketball stars

This message was last edited by nikolausricky on 1/15/2024.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2024 7:45 AM by farare Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Responsible gaming involves setting Geometry Dash limits, prioritizing daily tasks, and ensuring that gaming remains a healthy and enjoyable part of one's routine.

This message was last edited by farare on 1/22/2024.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Structural Issue - 1 posts
Cachorros de caniche disponibles para adopción gratuita - 0 posts
diagnosing oven fault - 1 posts
How do I upload photos to sell my property? - 3 posts
Court action against decision at AGM - 4 posts
Spam - 8 posts
airport transfer to hotel - 3 posts
Taking a dog to Europe for 2 days - 1 posts
New Won cases 2022 by CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
New Car Warranty….rights - 7 posts
Spain to apply to the EU for the abolition of the 90 / 180 rule for British citizens - 43 posts
Legal - 7 posts
Working in Spain after retiring? - 3 posts
Recommend me an inflatable hot tub - 5 posts
Form 210 - 0 posts
Post Apartment Fire - Technical Report person - 1 posts
Covid entry restrictions lifted - 9 posts
New Rules on Plus Valia - 4 posts
Night Vision Binoculars. - 2 posts
7 Important Changes to Long-Term Visas in Spain - 0 posts
No More Wealth Tax in Andalucia From 2023 - 12 posts
Lower Income Tax in Andalucía 2022 - 2 posts
CostsLuz´s clients victories in 2022- Congrats! - 1 posts
gold plating - 3 posts
Off plan purchases and Consumer Law - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x