Resident

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Aug 2020 7:18 PM by Pjplastering Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Hello again my sister in law is going to apply to be a resident in Spain.

how long would it be before she can go onto the Spanish health system.

thanks

pete

Like 0      
20 Aug 2020 10:00 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you're sister is under UK retirement age then she will need private health insurance for the first year ..after this she can go on the Spanish NHS this will cost around €65 per month..if she gets a legal job that pays her N.I contribution then she will be covered on the Spanish NHS...if she is a UK OAP then she will qualify for Spanish NHS at no charge as the UK Tax payer's will pay for her...this is pre January 2021.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 21/08/2020.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2020 5:02 PM by Pjplastering Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Thanks for your reply my sister in law is drawing a uk pension so would she have to produce any form of proof of income.

thanks again 

Like 0      
23 Aug 2020 2:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Your sister in law will need a rental property  with a legal contract...if she owns a property already in Spain this is even better... it will depend on what region you want to live .. with regards to proof of income ..in Murcia all she will need is her UK pension book ...in the Alicante region all they ask for is for you to have €9,000 in a Spanish bank .. saying that I would not recommend that anyone moves to Spain with just a UK state pension ...or just €9,000 in the bank .. as it is not enough to live on for 1 year..if I was you I would get professional help with regards  to the Spanish Residents permit.. especially if your sister in-law intends living with you...I would imagine her name would need to be on some sort of rental agreement..after the 1st of January 2021 it will be  impossible for someone with just a UK state pension only to be a resident in Spain.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 23/08/2020.

Like 1      
24 Aug 2020 10:02 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

after the 1st of January 2021 it will be impossible for someone with just a UK state pension only to be a resident in Spain.......Why? Does that mean then anyone with only a UK state pension who lives in Spain now, has to leave? I know quite a few with just one, or two UK state pensions and to be honest they get on quite well with just these.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2020 11:36 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I think you know windtalker was referring to people who take up new residency after 1st Jan. The proof of income, if it comes into line with current third countries (those not in the EU or EEA) is around €30,000 for the first person. This wll also be in line with the amount anyone from the EU will need to show if moving to the UK (already announced by the Home Secretary).

Of course, this all depends on any agreements that might or might not come into force by the end of the year.

Like 1      
24 Aug 2020 12:14 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thanks mariedav, I honestly didn't know it was that amount, but then I haven't delved to much into this, basically to have that amount would, and could stop many from retiring to Spain, which in maybe a small way would affect Spain also, after all it's not just the pension that pensioners spend, could put a spanner in the works for many who wish to retire to Spain. I could only find this bit, and didn't look to hard........Proof of Permanent Retirement income from an official institution (social security or other private source) to live in Spain without working. The minimum income required is 25,560 Euros annually plus 6,390 Euros per each additional family member. All documentation must be certified translated into Spanish.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2020 7:45 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Will this €30,000 income for non EU citizens be applicable in all EU countries or just Spain? What about Portugal, Italy and Greece?

Like 0      
24 Aug 2020 10:32 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Depends on the country. If UK brings in the rule for income then I'm sure the other countries would do as well.

Germany already has a minimum income, for non EU members, of €35,000. France, according to ec europa.eu, a non EU citizen "Since January 2017, France set the minimum annual gross salary threshold at 53,836.50 EUR."

Portugal has a much lower rate and only asks that you have a "regular and sustainable" income of more than €1,700 per month per person.

The salary threshold in UK was announced at £30,000 a year but I think I read they have reduced it to £26,500.

And it will, of course, depend on any deal or no deal agreement. Nothing set in stone yet and individual countries could set a different limit but  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If UK requires EU citizens to have that income then I can't see why the other countries won't reciprocate. 

See, that's the thing with leaving the EU. EU citizens have a different minimum income laid down by the EU and is set down in their rules which equates to the median pay or pension earned in EU countries. When we leave the EU, no such protection will be in place hence the reason countries set the limit themselves. 

The sums that Spain requires is laid down in an official government website which I can't find for the moment but I'll see if I can find it. You can also gain residency by having 3 times the annual figure in savings but you will only get a residency permit for 2 years when you have to show the same amount, then 2 years after that and  1 year after that when you gain permanent residency. At eavh renewal you have to show you still have the income or savings. After 5 years there is no need to prove income and your residency will be renewed for a further 5 years.

Possibly the main reason the gov (Brit and Spain) is telling Brits to legalise their status before 1 Jan 2021.

Edited this as the sum is Portugal is €1700 a couple, not per person,  plus extra for any dependents.

Edited again.

The figures laid down by Spain are set out in the IPREM which is the base figure for laying down certain social security benefits in Spain. IPREM, in English, is the Multiple Effects for Public Income Indicator.

The current IPREM rate is €6450 and a non EU citizen must show the IPREM times 4 plus the IPREM times one for dependents. That gives €25,800 a year for the first person and €6450 for the second so a couple would need to show an income of €32,250.

If I may reiterate, these are the current rules for non EU citizens which may or may not apply to UK citizens after Brexit an will depend on the deal or no deal scenarios.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 24/08/2020.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 24/08/2020.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2020 11:46 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I suppose any government of any county can set whatever income requirements they like for none EU citizens. Perhaps some of it is a bit unrealistic and game playing compared to their own poverty thresholds and state benefits. This could be a real opportunity for the likes of Portugal, Italy and Greece while the Spanish don’t have a brick to put cement on.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2020 12:52 PM by sp1946 Star rating in Playa Flamenca, Orih.... 28 posts Send private message

"my sister in law is drawing a uk pension so would she have to produce any form of proof of income?"

Living on Orihuela Costa. My husband & I have just satisfied the requirements to apply for residency. You sister-in-law needs a Spanish bank account with her State pension paid in for at least 3 months to prove sufficient income. She will also need form S1 from Newcastle.

Her best bet is to get advice on the process from a local company. There will be no charge for asking what the requirements are & what the process involves.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

COVID 19 Testing - 8 posts
Declaring gift to Spanish Authorities - 4 posts
Understand the situation, please reply if you know - 2 posts
What Legal Rights Does The Mother Of My Son’s Child Have? (Spanish rights) - 4 posts
2nd PODCAST DISCUSSION WITH MARIA - 2020 deadline for claims against Banks in off-plan purchases, illegal houses... - 0 posts
1st PODCAST DISCUSSION WITH MARIA : Is NOW a good time to buy? - 0 posts
Punta Prima Commercial Centre - 0 posts
Problem with Telefonica Fija (landline) Phone Incoming Calls last only 3 rings - 2 posts
Question over using a UK bank to take a mortgage on the purchase of a Spanish property ... - 10 posts
Duquesa Village - 0 posts
Wanted: 7-10 day Non-simultaneous holiday home swap in August. - 0 posts
Thank You to Costaluz Lawyers. - 1 posts
Fees to be paid - 1 posts
Job offer but struggling with TIE - 5 posts
La Tercia or Corvera Golf holiday property - 29 posts
Bank transfer from Spain to U.K. - 2 posts
Things that will affect resident brits after 31st Dec 2020 - 50 posts
Padron - 6 posts
Two new European Court Decissions on Abusive Clauses in Spanish Mortgages - 0 posts
Padron - 1 posts
Community AGM - 6 posts
New resident - 2 posts
Mojacar Magazine - 0 posts
Tax on UK property rental - 1 posts
Missing 3% retention refund from the tax office - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x