healthcare working in Gib living in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2020 9:57 AM by filizthephoenix Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi guys, I am starting a new job in gibraltar next month and will be renting in Spain. I am UK citizen. Does anybody know how we get a GP? i am on repeat prescription and not sure how to provide my meds when there :/ thanks

Like 0      
14 Jan 2020 11:28 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I know a couple who worked in Gibraltar but lived in Spain. Firstly, you have to take out Spanish residency (register on the list of EU foreigners residing in Spain) and prove you have sufficient funds to live on. No problem if you have a job in Gibraltar. You also have to prove medical care which would normally mean taking out private health insurance.

However, Gib and Spain have an agreement and you can transfer your social security payments from your job in Gibraltar to the are you are living in in Spain and this will give you access to the Spanish healthcare system. You still have to pay income tax in Gibraltar.

They said they had to go to the social security office in Gib and fill in the forms to transfer the  payments across and then to the social security office in Spain to accept the payments. 

Once this is done you can register for healthcare and will be allocated a GP in Spain.

Whilst all this is going on, you can buy the items over the counter at a pharmacy in Spain which, depending on the item, may work out cheaper than UK. If you take the repeat part of the prescription to the pharmacy they will sell you the equivalent items but at full cost. Once registered with the social security, you will get the reduction on the cost depending on your age and income but generally 40% of the cost of the item.

Like 2      
31 Jul 2022 11:23 PM by StanleyAckies6 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Looks easier than you could imagine, thanks. It'd be great to know more about the opportunity to work in the health sector in Spain. I'll be grateful If someone can give me as much detailed information as possible

Like 0      
01 Aug 2022 11:29 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Good Evening

Be careful all those  employees who anticipate to  work in Gibraltar in the future  and live in Spain.

End of Reciprocal Healthcare Arrangements with Spain w.e.f 01/07/2022. See link to website below.

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/press-releases/end-of-reciprocal-healthcare-arrangements-with-spain-4522022-8050

Nigel

Like 0      
02 Aug 2022 11:55 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I wonder what visa you are going apply for ..as you will be classed as a Spanish Resident..from a so called third country...

Like 0      
21 Mar 2023 10:35 PM by OllieSpence Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/25/2023 8:30:00 PM.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2023 4:55 PM by DavidLee Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hey there, thanks for sharing your experience with healthcare while working in Gibraltar and living in Spain! It's always interesting to hear about how different countries handle healthcare.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mercadona Renovations - 4 posts
Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Joining two Apartments together in an Apartment Block - 7 posts
Security advice, please - 2 posts
Which area to live in Spain - 4 posts
How do I get my apartment back? - 12 posts
Does anyone actually understand reclaiming Witholding Tax on Share Dividends if you are a UK resident - 30 posts
Bank´s liability on custody of off plan funds - 56 posts
Merry Christmas from CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
Caretaker Government in Madrid trying to block the planning amnesty for rural homes in Andalusia - 2 posts
How to pay non-residents tax from England - 16 posts
Mobile Phone - 6 posts
Ideas for holiday home by coast - 4 posts
Can someone help me please with a witholding tax reclaim via 210 - 71 posts
Non resident taxes - form 210 - 11 posts
Selling My Quarter Share of My Spanish Apartment - 2 posts
Campo living: how does a deposito work? - 12 posts
Extraordinary Quotas for Future Expenses for Spanish Communities - 8 posts
Car Parking at Malaga Airport - 14 posts
Low level crime and regulation - 3 posts
Totally Worn out struggling to get Witholding Tax on dividends refunded - 2 posts
Justice at last! - 1 posts
need instalation for solar pool heater - 0 posts
free banking? - 6 posts
Buying a house in Sa Pobla, Mallorca - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x