Security advice, please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jan 2020 11:37 AM by BerniceJ Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi. Here’s the situation. We’ve owned our house in Spain for 14 years and up until two years ago spent a great deal of time there-though never took out residential status. Then, whilst on a short trip to the U.K. we were robbed. Sadly, the robber is a neighbour who has terrorised our small community since moving in and who is, basically, squatting in the house opposite. Not surprisingly, Linea Directa, declined to honour our claim citing insufficient security as the reason. We were devasted. My husband, who suffers from anxiety, was badly affected and just could not settle back. So, here’s the question. How do we secure our house so we can leave it without worrying about being robbed or, worse, being used as a squat.? There is nothing of value in it but other properties have had the whole of the interior taken, pipes, wires, kitchens, bathrooms etc. We can’t spend much as the property has already devalued by 50% since we bought it. We have a security system with alarms and camera but in reality they are easily bypassed. Any ideas?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2020 4:24 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

How about renting it out? I realise that comes with other risks but at least someone would be there mostly all the time

Like 0      
11 Jan 2020 4:43 PM by Fhanrah Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Firstly, sorry for your troubles, nothing worse than having your home violated. When we purchased only a few years ago we asked the insurance company what was required to insure for break-in's as we wouldn't be living in the apartment full time. We had to put bars on the front windows, steel gate at the front door, but they allowed us to put the shutters on the rear of the apartment as it faced the internal of the community gardens. Since the insurance company has refused your claim {which I would challenge} why not ask them what is required for cover.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Which area to live in Spain - 4 posts
How do I get my apartment back? - 12 posts
Does anyone actually understand reclaiming Witholding Tax on Share Dividends if you are a UK resident - 30 posts
Bank´s liability on custody of off plan funds - 56 posts
Merry Christmas from CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
Caretaker Government in Madrid trying to block the planning amnesty for rural homes in Andalusia - 2 posts
How to pay non-residents tax from England - 16 posts
Mobile Phone - 6 posts
Ideas for holiday home by coast - 4 posts
Can someone help me please with a witholding tax reclaim via 210 - 71 posts
Non resident taxes - form 210 - 11 posts
Selling My Quarter Share of My Spanish Apartment - 2 posts
Campo living: how does a deposito work? - 12 posts
Extraordinary Quotas for Future Expenses for Spanish Communities - 8 posts
Car Parking at Malaga Airport - 14 posts
Low level crime and regulation - 3 posts
Totally Worn out struggling to get Witholding Tax on dividends refunded - 2 posts
Justice at last! - 1 posts
need instalation for solar pool heater - 0 posts
free banking? - 6 posts
Buying a house in Sa Pobla, Mallorca - 1 posts
Fee hike without warning - legal? - 16 posts
Orange fibre optic - 2 posts
210 declaration - 8 posts
Advice on Sierra Golf - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x