Anyone waiting to move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Oct 2007 12:25 AM by tweety5 Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

hi my advice is dont be in too much of a hurry to move here unless youve got plenty of money or your retired. ive been here six years, yes the lifestyle is great,the weather great, but its impossible to make a living here. yes you get by and make do, but i dont want to just get by and make do, when i left uk i complained about it in every way, now all that whinging is comming back to bite me in the bum.!! when i left uk i had visions of me sitting by my pool relaxing, and just doing a little part time job, im 53 and have 3 jobs, which all combined only adds up to a few hours, i never get on the beach and im always tired. employers treat you like dirt because they know another ten people will come after your job, most places ive worked here ive had no breaks and  worked like a donkey. the men who come over have to work for themselves as they cant get on the building sites for love or money,they are either all spanish or employing morocans for about ten e a day. now i want to leave i realise the extent of all the property taxes i have to pay, i will be lucky if i can buy a cardboard box back in uk. apart from all this !!!!!!! i have had a good time here, met a lot of nice people, but i will think twice before i complain about the uk again.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 7:01 PM by afranks Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Sorry to here that tweety5, it's very true what you say about finding work in spain. I have been planning to move to spain for 5 years now, and only being 33 will need to work for along time yet. During the five years i have spent endless time thinking of what work i can do, and to cut a long story short, i am afraid the only way that I can see is to work for myself. Yes a big gamble i know but something tells me i have to try.

Ant Franks

www.books4thebeach.com

Like 0      
15 Oct 2007 8:12 AM by saltay Star rating in Pinoso (Alicante) an.... 41 posts Send private message

saltay´s avatar
Ant - good for you being brave enough to take the plunge and work for yourself. I agree that I think it's very difficult for a Brit to find work in Spain, especially if you don't speak Spanish, and you have to be prepared to work for the same amount in euros as you would have earned in pounds in the UK.

Tweety - I feel for you, not least because my partner and I will soon be joining you in the same financial position! However at least we're in our 60s and have some sort of pension. Sometimes being old has its advantages!

Laury - sorry I didn't reply to your earlier posts about Pinoso. Not sure which house you mean. Which road are you coming in on?

We have had 2 visits from prospective buyers and 1 potential renter since I last posted and we have another possible renter coming tomorrow. The first potential buyers really liked the place (Like yours Laury - a 60's bungalow) but can't sell their own house so not in a position to make an offer, the second lot have now found somewhere else (I'm glad cos they were awful!). The first renter has now bought in a different village, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Trouble is this one wants something long term and we only really want to let for six months as we're going to need to get our equity out preferably sooner rather than later. Oh heck, why does it have to be so complicated!

Anyway, my other half has unexpectedly decided that enough is enough and that we're going to Spain come hell or high water in mid November! So last Saturday we bought a jumbo Transit van for £2000 as we're going to do our own removal! Ths is because we're only taking some stuff from UK (no wardrobes, so sofas) most of which packs flat and parking it in at our friends' place in France for a few weeks. When we've finished all the moving, then we'll bring the van back to the UK after Christmas and sell it again.

Yes, maybe we are nuts but we've got to the stage where we feel we've got to make things happen!

Sally

Like 0      
15 Oct 2007 1:14 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Oh good for you Sally.

We're still in limbo. We don't want to leave the house empty because we think it would be harder to sell.

If you had seen the red house in Pinoso... you would have remembered it. It was perched in splendid isolation on top of it's own hill. All the agents had it last year.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
15 Oct 2007 2:21 PM by charlycharl Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi there Yep im having the same problem with my house, its been on the market since Sept 1st and we've only had 2 viewings, house prices has fallen but with the festive season coming up, people are just not interested. Hopefully beginning of next year our luck might come in and Spain wont seem soo far away!!!

Like 0      
16 Oct 2007 10:43 PM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

Seems like everyone is having similar dilemmas. Thought it was just me!

Both my partner and I are in good jobs in London and I have to give 3 months notice at mine. There's also the house that needs renting out (I've planned to rent it out for a year, rent over on CDS and then decide what to do). We'll both need some kind of work before we go as we've got some savings but we need to keep a lot of that aside in case the house in London needs anything doing to it.

At the moment my evenings are spent looking at jobs in Spain on the internet and calling property letting agents to give me quotes that cover the mortgage on the house.

I do speak fluent Spanish and everyone says that it's much easier finding work if you speak Spanish. But doing what? Most jobs I can see are commission based and for English speakers. (I'm 37)

I'm not one for taking risks (or if I do it's after many months of procrastination), so after reading Tweety5's message if feeling a bit concerned we won't be able to support ourselves financially (although we both have transferable professions).

Any ideas how I can co-ordinate finding a job, giving 3 months notice, finding somewhere to rent out there and letting out my house all at the same time? The odds are stacked against it but I'm pretty determined!

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 1:43 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Well... the third people to view  the house love it and want it. Yay.

Trouble is that they haven't sold theirs yet. Boo.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 4:52 PM by saltay Star rating in Pinoso (Alicante) an.... 41 posts Send private message

saltay´s avatar
Hi Laury

Yes, we've had people like that too. It's very frustrating. Sooo, we've decided to take the plunge and let the house for six months and we now have a family who want to rent it! I hesitate to say too much because the references are only just being done for the prospective tenants and I don't want to put the mockers on it but it looks like it should go through for about 20th November! if we find we can afford it (lol) we'll keep letting for about 18 months or so, cos ideally these people want it for 2 years.

Anyway, we've now got our big transit van and on Sunday we take all the boxes out of the loft and shed and all the furniture we can manage without and take it to our friends' big garage in France. It's really happening guys!

Hi AJB1

Hang in there! It will happen when the time is right. It's taken us over three years since we first started looking but we had some rough luck at the beginning but now it's all coming together. I'm sure it will for you too. Speaking fluent Spanish is an enormous advantage and opens many doors. It certainly did for me. All the best.

Sally

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 5:04 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi All,

There is a company that i have just started working with that will offer you between 82 and 91% of the valuation of your house to complete within 28 days.

When you consider that house prices may drop anyway at least it is a guaranteed sale it may be worth giving them a call.

I use them when people are getting a good deal here maybe 15% under the asking price and need to sell their house,i know nobody likes taking under the value but if you are saving at the other end then it is all relative.

If anyone wants to give them a try PM me.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 7:26 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Interesting.Tthanks for the info Georgia but we are looking for maximum price even if we wait. My OH is retiring early to Spain with no pension so we need as much equity as possible from the house to live on for now.

While he is still working we can keep up all our payments so speed isn't quite so critical for us  thanks.

Our house only went on the market 2 weeks ago.

I don't know about the others playing the waiting game.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 8:50 PM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

Hi Sally

Thanks for the positive thoughts although I hope it won't take us 3 years. I'll have to find another job in the uk if that's the case as I can't stick at it that long!

Got someone coming to value the house for renting on Monday so if I can get guaranteed rent that covers the mortgage I think I'll apply for every English teaching job I can see near Malaga and hopefully hand my notice in just after Xmas.

I'm hoping it's going to be easier to rent out the house until I'm ready to sell. It also solve the problem of putting all my furniture in storage. I'll rent the house out furnished.

Amanda

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 9:07 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

So we have two renter outers. At least that's something.

We'll just sit and wait and stew.

I have been very angry about the new HIPS.  They made far too many assumptions which they put in the energy report and I got the report on CD only to find that they had locked the PDF so it wouldn't print.

When I complained they said I wasn't allowed because it's copyrighted. I paid them £400 for that report and as far as i'm concerned , ..WE contracted them to do the HIPS for US... It's ours. Not theirs.

Laury

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 9:57 PM by saltay Star rating in Pinoso (Alicante) an.... 41 posts Send private message

saltay´s avatar
That's very strange, Laury. We didn't like what was in our HIPS either but its contents weren't unexpected.We only had the energy report done and got it on the government subsidised rate of about £99 plus VAT because we applied before 31st July. However, we were just telephoned with an access code so we could read it on the company's website. It printed out fine.

Our house had been on the market for nearly a year and it gets to the point where enough is enough and we were desperate!
Georgia, we did try one of those companies that offer to purchase. I have to say they took a lot of trouble, were very courteous, very supportive and not at all pushy. However, they were the first to admit that what they were able to offer was not going to be good enough. They were offering about 85% of the valuation but you have to remember that it's their valuation, not the market valuation of your estate agent, let alone anywhere near what you might want or need. You really need either not to need the money or really to have your back against the wall. Having said that, they suggested either going to auction or renting and they took the time to talk it all through even though they weren't getting anything out of it. We were impressed.

By the way, have you got your office help sorted out yet Georgia?!

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 10:03 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I don't know how you got government help for your energy assessment?  I didn't hear of any help around here.

When I rang to tell them they had left it locked, they told me it was copyrighted and I wasn't allowed to print it off. The best i could get out of them was a free hard copy.

Do you know we could improve our energy ratings and save a few pounds a year?

All we need to do is buy a more modern boiler, fit solar panels and make sure that all, not some, of our light fittings have low energy bulbs in.

Well that wouldn't cost much, would it?

Laury

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 10:06 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi there - can anyone tell me if there is a police station with a foreigners department in the Mojacar/Garruch/Vera area and where it is?  I understand we need to go there to apply for an NIE and we will be there from 6 November for a few days. Many thanks

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 7:42 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Sorry I can't help as I don't know the area but i'm sure someone will come along soon who does.

Laury

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 8:21 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Saltay,

This company ask two estate agents to give valuations and then take the average so they may be different.

we finally found someone for the office,thanks for asking.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 1:34 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

hey all

My house gone on market today, we are hoping to move out to spain in Jan, straight after new year.

FINGERS CROSSED.

Its good to hear all your stories and experiences, I think "keeping it real" is the best way anyway, I WANT to read peoples bad stories too because it makes you realise nothing is a bed of roses.

I cant wait to get out to spain! we thought a clean break after the new year would be a great time.

So bring on the viewers lol....................

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 3:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well done, Sazzle.  Hope everything goes OK for you.

We are almost in the same boat.  Putting the house on the market for sale in Feb or Mar next year.  With regard to the HIP, we paid £400 but had no mention of a government grant.  Were told we could save some points on the following:

1.  We had the boiler replaced a couple of years ago at £2000.  Were quoted £3500 for a condensor boiler but were told they weren't all that good, would not give a full bath of hot water and are noisy.  But we would save about £75 a year.  So, for the extra 1.5 Grand we get an inefficient boiler that pays for itself after 20 years.  Not a particularly good deal.

2.  We have low energy bulbs in all but 4 appliances.  2 PIR lights outside which won't take these bulbs.  After being broken into a few years ago, I want all the security I can get, thank you.  Plus two lights in the house which are set to switch on and off whilst we are away.  Again, won't take the low energy bulb.  I'd rather have the security.

3.  Cavity wall insulation came with a 30 year guarantee.  This was up 3 years ago so, for £1500 I can have the old stuff sucked out and for £4000 more have new stuff pumped in.  My house is warm as toast in the winter and we rarely have the CH on for more than an hour in the morning and in the evening.  Can't see how having all this stuff sucked out, taken away and put in a landfill site will be good for the environment so it's staying where it is. 

Doubt if any of the above points will put anyone off, anyway.

With the house going up for sale in December, watch the world wide crash in property prices appear about then.  Knowing my luck, they'll probably halve in value.  And I'll be sending the money to Spain when I get it so watch the pound sink to an all time low against the euro at the same time.

Anyhoo...... Using weekends and evenings to clear out the shed and garage.  Got a couple of quotes for removals and storage.  Fortunately, thanks to Atlas, Technologia Urbanistica and Aroca Sequier, I can't sell my flat in Spain so I'll have somewhere to stay while I'm waiting for the new one to be finished.  Already got NIE  so all I have to do now is sit back and relax, I don't think.  Haven't yet told my boss I'm retiring early (looking forward to that) and have arranged one pension to be paid in Spain and the smaller one to my UK bank in case of emergencies.  No doubt the double tax agreement between Britain and Spain will be revoked early next year so I'll end up paying two lots of taxes of well.

Looking forward to saying goodbye to that road I've been commuting on for the last 12 years.  14 miles there and 14 miles back, 5 days a week.  Definitely won't miss that.

Also looking forward to putting my feet up in the sun (or rain, as it is at the moment).  Will I be bored?  No chance!!! I can devote my time to pondering the great mysteries of life that have always eluded me.

Things like:

Why is there only one monopolies commission?

How do you know the little light goes out in the fridge when you close the door?

If a man says something and a woman isn't there, would he still be wrong?

Why is phonetics spelt with a ph?

Is making dyslexia such a hard word to spell just a cruel joke?

See, I can change into a grumpy old man very easily and will be able to pass my time contemplating these, and many other world shattering matters, at my leisure.

Best of luck, everyone.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 4:08 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Bobaol! For such an 'optimistic' person, you do tell a good joke!

Yesterday there was an atricle I think the times online about uk property prices overvalued by 40%! I laughed at that but then read your posting and realised that what you say is true - and it IS a conspiracy! They ARE out to get you!

Have a good weekend

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Daya Vieja football match September 8th, 2007 - 5 posts
Makro card Alicante - 1 posts
Christmas in Spain - 4 posts
LONG TERM LET NEEDED - 1 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL NEEDED - 3 posts
long term let needed - 3 posts
Agents and can we?? - 15 posts
British beds or Spanish - 37 posts
Advice/ Help Please - 0 posts
looking for unfurnished long term rentals costa del sol - 8 posts
LA BODEGA BLANCA - ORANGE SQUARE MARBELLA - 6 posts
Mobile phones - 11 posts
Travel cots,High chairs etc - 3 posts
Urgently needed - 2 posts
Hi all anybody connected to Pereleja Golf ? - 1 posts
Help needed please!! - 13 posts
AIB Technical - a WARNING!!! - 8 posts
Forums - 75 posts
Iberian international - 9 posts
Roofing - 4 posts
Cheque made out to me in sterling can i put it in my spanish account - 1 posts
Frank & Veronica - 2 posts
janacky - 2 posts
R12 Developers in Cox - 0 posts
Fee free banking - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 51

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x