Electrical installation and power needs for new house

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2017 12:32 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

We are restoring an old ruin and seem to be having some difficulty with the electrician regarding the power needs for our house. We are only installing the usual appliances including an induction hob - eg: 2 electric ovens, fridge, freezer, air con for 2 bedrooms ( about 3kWs),dishwasher, washing machine, drier, tv and small stuff like kettle etc.

We know that an induction hob requires up to 7 kW,s but that they are common in Spain.

The electrician seems startled by these requirements and says we can't have more than 9 kW installed and says we need to apply for 3 phase which seems extreme for a domestic house. We know we wont be using all these appliances together but could see peaks above 10kW.

Can anyone please help with this?

Thank you

Gilly

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 1:14 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

I have a three bed apartment, induction hob, dishwasher, two fridge/freezers, central aircon, two TVs etc. and no problems. My supply is standard 5.7KW. What I would say is if you are sourcing your induction hob in Spain, which I did, it will be of a slightly lower power than one sourced in the UK. Typically they will supply a 3 ring hob here, versus  a 4 ring in the UK.

DO not go near 3 phase as the supply will be very costly to run.

Hope this helps

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 2:09 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you so much, that is very helpful.

Gilly

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 2:32 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

I would not have thought that you would want to run all the appliances at the same time ...but if you did it will overload the circuit ...so you will have to reset the circuit breaker....typically you will be lucky if the electricity supply company will give yo anymore than approximately 15amps ....for instance I have 3 AC units at 6 amps each if I try running any more than 2 the circuit breaker pops out...this is common in spain.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 5:40 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you and you are right we wont ever be running the whole lots together!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 7:05 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Electricity supply is a pain in Spain.

Typically you find you have a 15A or if you are lucky 25A limit. If you ask for an upgrade you have to pay for both this and a higher standing charge no matter how much you actually use.

I have never seen a supply of less tha 50A in the UK and most are much greater.

Our second property in Spain was a flat that had a thermal cut out fitted by the supplier. If you drew more than 15A for long it cut your supply for about 15 minutes. As we did not like gas bottles we had an electric hob fitted. Running the oven and hob at the same time was the main problem. Rather than have the supply upgraded I had a current sensor fitted that cut the supply to the oven if the hob was drawing more than 12A. This did the job and we never ever noticed any drop in temperature from the oven as it came on as the thermostats in the hob switched the rings off.

I expected to have problems in our new flat when we had the Air con fitted but it has been OK so far. We do not have a thermal cut out as far as I know but are on the bottom rate so should not contractually use the 25A of our main breaker.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 06/10/2017.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2017 10:24 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you for the detail, it is very useful

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi all - 4 posts
Umbrella companies in Spain - 2 posts
Fire regulations for communal garages - 3 posts
Urgently needed treasurer - 1 posts
Reform of the judicial model in Spain - 5 posts
Spanish arcehtypes - 1 posts
Link to check on Lawyers´s membership at Bar Association - 0 posts
FCO Consular Services Petition - Please sign and forward - 0 posts
Project help from locals! - 0 posts
No IHT in Andalucia from January, 2018 - 2 posts
classic car insurance - 4 posts
European Court on multy-currency loans - 2 posts
Repurchase / repossession - advice needed - 149 posts
Inheritance Tax on Irish assets - 31 posts
HOW TO CHANGE ENGLISH NIE TO IRISH NIE? - 4 posts
Friends - 1 posts
Thermal imaging or something similar to find water leaking from ceiling. - 3 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Mis-sold Spanish mortgages - 5 posts
Mis-sold Mortgage claims in Spain - 0 posts
What is the Legality of doubling our community fees at the AGM. - 17 posts
A song from Barcelona metro - 0 posts
neighbouring land - 3 posts
Listing of Town - 2 posts
Warning: Lawyers are never appointed by Courts - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x