Yellow Rain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2017 11:23 AM by elraso Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

I live on El Raso  near Guardamar,can anyone offer any information about the result of the heavy rain and wind we experienced in the area this last week, We have areas where large puddles formed and they are yellow,these have now dried and have left  a layer of yellow Cake . i have noticed it in Montesisinos a few miles from here.Has anyone on the forum been given or heard  an  explanation  from any official either enviroment agency or town hall,

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 12:03 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

** EDITED - off thread **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/6/2017 3:03:00 PM.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 12:33 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I live on El Raso  near Guardamar,can anyone offer any information about the result of the heavy rain and wind we experienced in the area this last week, We have areas where large puddles formed and they are yellow,these have now dried and have left  a layer of yellow Cake . i have noticed it in Montesisinos a few miles from here.Has anyone on the forum been given or heard  an  explanation  from any official either enviroment agency or town hall,

It's the same yellow sand / dust that I get in Punta prima, and pretty much all over, it blows up all along the East side of Spain as you look at the map all the way up from the African area /  Sahara Desert etc....So I have been told.

Just taken my mate 2 days to clean up at his villa, the more he washed down the more it seemed to cake up, makes a mess in your pool as well if you are not quick enough to cover up.

Forgot to add I think the name of it is something like Calima?

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 06/03/2017.

Like 2      
06 Mar 2017 12:54 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

It is more likely the yellow stains are caused by mimosa flowers The first time I saw it on the tide line I thought someone had tipped a tin of emulsion paint in the sea 

Like 1      
06 Mar 2017 1:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I have a Villa on Camposol we get yellow rain and red rain from time to time it makes a real mess and takes allot of hard work  cleaning it up I was told it comes from various deserts ....but mainly the Sahara.

Like 3      
06 Mar 2017 1:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

We wondered what it was and assumed it was the sand from Africa, but intersting about the mimosa flowers

One thing for sure it has nothing to do with the accusations from the USA to the Soviet Union in 1981 that ET posted (which BTW I think is a bit off thread)

Like 2      
06 Mar 2017 4:50 PM by healthyannie Star rating in Teulada. 22 posts Send private message

healthyannie´s avatar

Hi,

Just to let you know that the dust is from pine pollen. It happens  this time of the year and causes a nuisance. It is also an allergen, so if you are having hayfever symptoms, you may want to pop along to the pharmacy and ask for Nasonex. The Mimosa plant has very large pollen, but it does not cause the yellow dust that you see. The pollen from the Mimosa tree is so large that it would be clearly visible and recognized as Mimosa. 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 5:16 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Just to let you know that the dust is from pine pollen

Well you can eat pine pollen, presuming we are talking the same pine pollen, I wouldn't fance eating the yellow dust I have had to sweep and wash away on my places.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 6:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well, I've heard of never eating yellow snow but.......

Round here it is a brown/red colour and normally occurs around this time of the year. All the locals blame the rain coming from the Sahara. 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 7:15 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I have a Villa on Camposol we get yellow rain and red rain from time to time it makes a real mess and takes allot of hard work  cleaning it up I was told it comes from various deserts ....but mainly the Sahara.

Wow windtalker Red Rain!!!!    Thats nuclear fall out isnt it?

Peter Gabriels song Red Rain is perfect to listen to when your on your patio over there of an evening with a glass of wine    mmmmmm

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
06 Mar 2017 8:28 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Why you might want to try harvesting pine pollen:

I learned a ton of fascinating information in the last couple weeks about pine trees and pine pollen!  Not only are most parts of the tree edible, but pine trees offer us so much in terms of nutrition and medicinal benefits.  Pine pollen has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years, as both food and medicine.

Here are the nutritional properties of pine pollen:

• Contains 18 amino acids
  • Has numerous vitamins, including A, B1, B2, B6, B3, B9, Vitamins C, D (rare for plants!) E and Beta Carotene
  • Is full of minerals
  • Contains many powerful anti-oxidants
  • Has beneficial enzymes and other beneficial compounds

Some uses in Chinese medicine include:

• Relieving rheumatic pain
  • Relieving fatigue
  • Increasing endurance
  • Strengthening the immune system
  • Improving the skin
  • Strengthening the heart
  • Strengthening the GI tract and stomach
  • Increasing mental agility
  • Healing prostate problems
  • Increasing agility
  • Decreasing weight

Well, I've heard of never eating yellow snow but.......

Well I guess we can all learn something new every day.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NIE HELP - 17 posts
Lawyer needed - Casares costa. - 2 posts
coto real - 0 posts
Moving to Spain - 8 posts
Lapsed planning permission - 0 posts
SAVING TO BUY PROPERTY? - 5 posts
When do we need to register? - 26 posts
road trip through the pyranee - 2 posts
Air conditioning work - 9 posts
Keith Rule, Maria de Castro and SpanishReclaim - 19 posts
Scam regarding Actions Against banks Law 57/68 - 5 posts
Floor clauses - 9 posts
PX Your UK flat (IOW) for our 2 up 2 down Town House Alahurin el Grande, Malaga - 0 posts
No win, no fee lawyer desperately needed - 7 posts
Finding long term rentals - 6 posts
Santander bank charges - 4 posts
Invalidity pension - 5 posts
Car Center Murcia - 0 posts
Any private health insurance recommendations for living in Spain - 0 posts
jackbean - 4 posts
Fire Stick/Kodi in Spain - 7 posts
Re Registering my LHD vehicle in Spain - 8 posts
Moving to spain hello we are lorenzo 48,Carolien 46 and Cassidy nearly 4 - 4 posts
Your own car hire business - 0 posts
Trampolin Hills and liability of La Caixa and other banks according to LEY 57/1968 - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x