Is Ireland at risk of another banking crisis?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Oct 2016 3:26 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

A worrying report issued today suggesting that Ireland is at risk of another banking crisis because the country has failed to learn from the mistakes of the last financial crash a decade ago....with signs of toxic bank lending again.

https://www.propertyinvestortoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2016/10/ireland-at-risk-of-new-banking-crisis

Like 0      
03 Oct 2016 4:11 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

I don't think anyone has really learnt lessons from the early 2000s. The US banks are doing almost the same thing with no adequate regulation, other than the government continually fining foreign companies, the Germans have both Deutsch and Commerz Banks with massive problems due to their inability to correctly value bad assets, which is most certainly the same in Spain with banks property portfolios and the Italian system is also about to crumble.

Ahhh, happy days.

Cannot understand why the Euro continues to strengthen against the pound, it will end in tears somewhere.

FTSE still surging forward though, weaker pound good for our exporters no doubt.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2016 7:29 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

If Google paid the 18 Billion that the EU said they have to pay the Irish government,  that payment will be more than enough to bail all the Banks out in Southern Ireland😅.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 03/10/2016.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2016 11:36 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Is that realistic or just pure rhetoric from the EU?

Who was responsible for allowing the loopholes that Google have exploited in the first place?

Like 0      
03 Oct 2016 11:57 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

I think the EU decision was given against Apple but Google probably in the same boat.

So far the Irish have refused the deal, not surprising as all US companies would upsticks to Luxembourg which Mr Junckers would love.

If the Irish government did accept any of the award, most of it would have to be given back to the EU in return for the bailout and loans guaranteed to the Irish State, so no, much of it would not be available to bail out the banks, if indeed they need it.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2016 9:37 AM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

When the PIGS economy based problems first occured I recall a UK TV reporter interviewing people in Dublin, the general consensus of opinion was that the UK would bail them out. This makes me think that they could be our portal into the EU post Brexit, as we currenty are for the USA. A few UK company head office relocations to the land of the leprechauns could be just the ticket.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Problems with your S.I.P. card - 6 posts
Spanish wills and inheritence tax - 8 posts
Mortgages on illegal properties: is it Bank risponsable? - 0 posts
Struggles with mortgage payments in Spain - 4 posts
Hi. Removal boxes needed. - 1 posts
Looking for full time job - 3 posts
Are property prices about to fall in Spain ? - 23 posts
Changing name on NIE - 17 posts
Monarch - Air Operators Licence runs out on Friday - 6 posts
property value law - 2 posts
I don't have a legal resident contract and my landlord won't help me get an Empadronamiento?! - 8 posts
Yet Another Rental Car Rip Off - 45 posts
bike test - 4 posts
is it wise to move to Spain post Brexit - 45 posts
Using Spanish words in written or spoken English - 3 posts
Plumber - la Cala de mijas - 0 posts
Liability on a 6 months rental - 3 posts
Esta if you have lived in Spain - 0 posts
Customs duty - 0 posts
Diabetes type 1 - Insulin Depedent - Getting insulin & cost - 4 posts
Parcel service for sending small packets to UK - 8 posts
Satellite TV Costa Blanca South Area - 1 posts
Spanish credit cards - 8 posts
Applying for EU Citizen Registration (forms on line) - 0 posts
Modelo 210 - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x