Driving car in Spain with UK road tax.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Sep 2016 2:12 PM by Harrieman Star rating in Alexandria in the We.... 25 posts Send private message

Hi Guy's,

We are driving over to Mallorca on the 26th of September and arrive on the 3rd of October, our UK road tax runs out on the 30th of September, as we are not sure of the road tax system in Mallorca would you advise me to take out more road tax here in the UK or wait until we arrive at our destination and get our new tax there?

Thanks,

Harrieman.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 2:32 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Are you moving permanently? To be legal, your road tax must cover you for your entire trip. If you are just on holiday then you need to renew your road tax in UK before you come over and you can keep the car for up to 6 months. It must be road legal (tax, insurance, MOT) in the country of origin for your entire stay.

If you are staying permanently you will have to re-register your car on Spanish plates before you can be liable for Spanish road tax. You can't take out Spanish road tax on a UK registered vehicle nor can you MOT (IVA, here) in Spain.

In either case, renew your road tax in UK to cover you as you can claim back the unused part.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 3:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

We are driving over to Mallorca on the 26th of September and arrive on the 3rd of October, our UK road tax runs out on the 30th of September, as we are not sure of the road tax system in Mallorca would you advise me to take out more road tax here in the UK or wait until we arrive at our destination and get our new tax there?

Presumably your car is registered in your name, fully taxed, insured, MOT'd, as you are aware the UK car has to be fully road legal where ever you drive it.

You're going on the 26th Sep, as soon as you get your DVLA car tax reminder which should be about the, I don't know for sure, but maybe the 20th ish Sep, tax your car as you would do normally, then your covered for Sep and October.

If of course the car is staying in Mallorca and you have to get Spanish doc's etc, let DVLA  know your intentions and you will get a refund, but none for Oct, and it wont be for the amount per month you paid in the first instance but at least your legal until you decide whats best for you.

You know the other way some would do.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 8:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hello Harrieman. I unfortunately missed your previous threads on income tax and healthcare when you posted them, but have just read them in order to try to fathom out your situation - since this post was a bit of a WTF moment for me! No offence, but this question made me think you need to do some serious research on moving to and living in Spain before doing anything else (including posting on forums like this). However, what I gleaned from your healthcare post is that you are only planning on spending half the year in Spain. This seems to have been missed by most other members. 

I have two bits of advice, which you can take or leave as you please:

1) Do not stay over 182 days in Spain in any one calendar year. You will thus not become fiscal residents and will not have to become embroiled in Spanish taxation and bureaucracy. 

2) Ignore everything Windtalker says, he is clearly completely mad!

As for this specific thread, assuming that you are not planning on leaving your car in Mallorca, carry on as normal i.e. renew your UK road tax & make sure your MoT will remain valid for the entire duration of your stay (in other words, make sure the vehicle is still road legal in the UK at all times) - oh, and make sure your insurance covers you for the duration as well. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish tutor in the Santiago Del La Ribera area - 0 posts
2015 Non resident Modelo 210 Tax Return - 2 posts
Cost of New AirCon Vera Playa - 2 posts
where can I buy car tools, battery charger - 10 posts
Green Health Card farce - 7 posts
Transport UK/Ireland to Spain - 0 posts
EPC Company Recommendation Please - 3 posts
Access to Spanish medical records with SIP card - 1 posts
VIsit via flight to Malaga - 1 posts
New to the Torrox/Nerja Area - Advice Please - 4 posts
Dog Friendly Hotels UK to Malaga - 3 posts
Interesting article on exchange rates - 5 posts
Help regarding car crash - 12 posts
Life insurance - 11 posts
Moving to Spain - 4 posts
Does anyone have any idea if there is buses from Alicante airport to la zenia (orihuela costa) - 1 posts
Thermocoupler - 0 posts
Long term rental property la manga club - 10 posts
Directions - 3 posts
New to Spain..Any suggestions? - 18 posts
Patio Pressure Washers - 3 posts
Moving to Spain as a maintenance caretaker - 3 posts
Identify the plot from the Nota Simple information - 3 posts
Hi all - 5 posts
safest way of sending a bankers draft from Spain to the UK - 20 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x