Income tax.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jun 2016 2:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa:  ........   her tax bill (in Spain) is zero - and she earns 2,500 UK pounds more than me on an annual basis.

We were "computed" together for tax purposes by our Gestoria.

I am curious.   If the declaration was joint how do you know that your wife’s tax was nil ?

Like 0      
30 Jun 2016 8:30 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 115 posts Send private message

Camposol. My Gestoria is a well known and respected busness, with a fairly large suite of offices complete with qualified staff.

I ddi not say he hadn't worked out our tax equation  seperately & jointly - in fact he did the equation both ways (as he does every year) and told us we were better with a joint declaration as I was able to take some of my wifes "tax free" allowance, thus reducing my tax bill.

John - he told us the figures having done the equation both ways.

This message was last edited by CostaBlade on 30/06/2016.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2016 7:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa  ....... as I was able to take some of my wife’s "tax free" allowance,

Not exactly correct.

The tax free allowances are

Personal allowance

Individual        €5,550 (at basic rate)

Aged 75 and over     €8,100

Aged 65 and over     €6,700

For the second spouse in a joint return  there is an additional allowance of  €3,400 (i.e. not actually taking some their allowance)

Theire is also a standard allowance of 2,000 € to be added in the case of earned income. Pension income is considered to be  'earned income'.

Thus if one is over 75 and marred, separate declarations means each gets the 8,100 €,plus 2,000 earned income allowance, if appropriate, in their declaration,  before tax is assessed.    Any unused portion cannot be carried over to the other spouse.

If they make a joint declaration it is 8,100€ plus 3,400

Thus one gets  11,500 € tax free. Plus 2,000€  After that tax is paid according to the tax band

As a rough rule:   If one of them  is not earning then it is beneficial to make a join return.  If each has an income of or over their tax free allowance, it probably better to make separate returns

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/07/2016.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2016 12:22 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 115 posts Send private message

John.

Now I am confused !!

I will get the paper work out and check again, just for clarity, and then re-post on here. It is an interesting thread.

I do know we were taxed together as this was the better option, we have no other "earned income" but we do have a descent amount of savings to declare interest on, albeit not very much interest (and with Brexit it will probably be less next year,).

Like 0      
01 Jul 2016 2:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa  but we do have a descent amount of savings to declare interest on, albeit not very much interest

One only pays on income, not on the capital sum, that is unless one is talking about patrimonio tax (wealth tax) 

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 8:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

@Camposol: "it is amazing how many think they can earn 22 k before having to declare it."

Indeed it is! But then again, it's amazing how many other things people erroneously believe here!

Windtalker: "you will no longer be a British citizens .....as you have left the UK permanent you are now Spanish citizens"

This is the single most amusing post I have seen on EOS (or any other forum for that matter) in all the years of it's existence! PRICELESS!! laugh

Harrieman, if you ignore only ONE piece of advice / information you've read here, please make sure it's this bit!! Oh, and as I've said elsewhere, do NOT stay in Spain more than 182 days in one calendar year, and avoid getting tied up with Spanish tax and bureaucracy: it'll make your lives so much easier (and you'll pay less tax probably)

Still LMAO....cheeky

This message was last edited by Roberto on 01/09/2016.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rental Query - 0 posts
Condado internal door for sale - 0 posts
Completion in Spain - 6 posts
Miles & Kilometres Volvo V40 - 8 posts
Planning permission for a small pool - 4 posts
Pets in rented property - 0 posts
Slow internet - 1 posts
transport for small dog needed - 9 posts
Brexit - Petition 2nd referendum - 33 posts
Property Values - 3 posts
Changing Euros For Pounds in Valencia - 4 posts
Townhouse near Malaga - 4 posts
Good mobile service provider for San Javier area - 0 posts
Paying Endesa bill - 3 posts
La tercia golf, worth buying? - 22 posts
Spanish Bank - Judgement of the Supreme Court - December 2015 - minimum exchange rate clause - 19 posts
Travel with cockatiels - 0 posts
Urgent Help Needed to find 'legal' builders to carry out property renovation!! - 1 posts
Boundary marking - 4 posts
Pool build requiring water recycling deposit Murcia. - 3 posts
Lancashire to Mucia Region - 1 posts
Santander Bank - 2 posts
Missing - 0 posts
Are smoke and carbon monxide alarms a legal requirment? - 8 posts
WINTER RENTAL ALMERIA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x