Owning reptiles

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2015 12:19 AM by Frida Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

So there are some laws I never get straightened out.

Wherever I look, I see the same text copied and pasted, saying you can't own any "wild animal" over 2 kg, and no mammal over 10 kg?! (That would mean, no horses or livestock, definitely not most dogs... so that law must be poorly worded.)

Is says this about Spain in general:

In general, the following are considered as dangerous animals and owned under specific conditions:

Wild animals including: reptiles (alligators, crocodiles and poisonous snakes), any wild animal weighing over two kilograms, poisonous fish and mammals weighing over 10 Kg when adult.

And this about Andalucia specifically:

Note: From October 2008, residents in Andalucía are forbidden from owning exotic or wild animals as pets. Residents have six months to declare their pets at the local town hall and deliver them to the designated authorised establishment. This applied to:

Crocodiles, caimans, poisonous amphibians and fish, snakes, spiders and insects

All species of reptile that weigh over 2 kilograms when fully-grown

All primates and wild mammal species that weigh more than 10 kilograms as adults (for carnivores this is limit is 5 kilograms)

So in Andalucia (where I'm not going), reptiles over 2 kg are banned, but in the rest of the country, only venomous snakes, alligators and crocodiles. Correct?
Because I would want to keep a couple of small caimans (if it would require some extra chat with the authorities/a license, that could be done), and some larger snakes (Boa constrictor, harmless but definitely weighing a few kilos). The law (outside Andalucia) says nothing about caimans, only crocodiles and alligators.

But "wild animal" would essentially mean everything except for farm animals, dogs and cats. So then... you can't even have a large macaw, because the largest can weigh over 2 kg. O_o Or not even a large rodent.
And again, that "no mammal over 10 kg" just makes no sense at all.

So please help.

This message was last edited by Frida on 21/07/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Happy Gardener - 0 posts
Possible scam for property sellers - 22 posts
Hi Everyone - 0 posts
First visit to Spain - 6 posts
Cyclists and Cycle Paths - 55 posts
Winter rental in Santa pola (or nearby) - 0 posts
Long term caravan site fees anyone? - 5 posts
Pain in Spain !! - 10 posts
The Sun hit s another low - 2 posts
hoppa shared shuttle from Malaga airport - 0 posts
Guidance for Board of Trustee members in Spain Charities - 2 posts
Iberdrola smart meter - causing huge problem - 14 posts
Car hire firms to provide more transparency to customers. - 3 posts
Legal tip 1311. NEW! HERRADA DEL TOLLO S.L. - BANK ACTION WON IN PROVINCIAL APPEAL COURT AGAINST SGR & BBVA FOR BUYERS AT RESIDENCIAL SANTA ANA DEL MONTE IN JUMILLA - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts
renting - 5 posts
Mariadecastro - 5 posts
3% Devolution - 9 posts
Does anyone have a car for sale at Camposol - 7 posts
hi all - 1 posts
English plumber moving to spain - 18 posts
Channel 4 looking for new business start ups in Southern Spain - 1 posts
Air Traffic Controllers Strikes July Spain - 19 posts
LUZ CAR RENTAL murcia - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL MURCIA AIRPORT - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x