INHERITANCE TAX ON WORLDWIDE ESTATE OR ONLY SPANISH ASSETS?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2015 11:29 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

No, in the UK it is the whole estate that is taxed, not the heirs directly. This differs to spain, as you say, where the heirs are taxed.

Because of this difference, and the lack of provision for it in the current UK-Spain double tax treaty, it raises some serious concerns about double taxation in this matter, which is why I am curious about how it is dealt with and calculated.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2015 11:44 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Even so , whatever is left to someone resident in Spain  is subject to IHT

In the UK spouses are exempt from IHT , unlike Spain

the IHT threshold in the UK will soon be a million pounds.

it is unlikely the majority of inheritees will pay any tax in UK.

as there is no double taxation treaty on IHT, it is possible that some very wealthy people will have to pay tax in UK and Spain,

However,  receiving a massive amount of unearned money can never be bad, even if yuou have to pay tax!

Like 0      
13 Aug 2015 1:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Camposol:

I am adding some comments below in bold green ( same text as your message below):

Even so , whatever is left to someone resident in Spain  is subject to IHT. Yes, because of fiscal/tax residency.

In the UK spouses are exempt from IHT , unlike Spain

the IHT threshold in the UK will soon be a million pounds.

it is unlikely the majority of inheritees will pay any tax in UK.

as there is no double taxation treaty on IHT, it is possible that some very wealthy people will have to pay tax in UK and Spain, They will always be able to deduct the bill paid in the Uk to the Spain one. According to an European Recommmendation ( not mandatory and not being met by Spain),  if these people were Spain residents, tax burden should never be higher than what it was if just Spain IHT tax were involved.

It is clear that a Directive on European IHT tax is necessary.

However,  receiving a massive amount of unearned money can never be bad, even if yuou have to pay tax!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Aug 2015 1:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

As I said said, with the massive allowance in UK it is highly unlikely that most would pay any UK tax, unlike Spain, where, if you are unfortunate enough to live in Murcia, you may well have a hefty bill!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Health tourists UK: How much do they cost and who pays? - 6 posts
Dogs defecating - 9 posts
Tenerife for the winter - 0 posts
Propane gas bottle for BBQ - 6 posts
Do I Take My White Goods or Buy New in Spain - 13 posts
A legal question relating to offplan Bank debt and resale of Bank repossessed property - 2 posts
NIE - 9 posts
I need a fence putting up!!! - 0 posts
experience with bb4s internet - 0 posts
What is 'Normal' TV in Spain? - 13 posts
job wanted - 4 posts
advice needed - 0 posts
New in Camposol - 4 posts
New to Spain - 0 posts
help....is it doable driving to murcia from uk with 2 drivers & no stop over - 13 posts
How together from Los alcazares to seville - 2 posts
Local Doctors in Spain - 9 posts
Spanish law regarding renting out property short term - 2 posts
Corgi Registered Gas Fitter - Benalmadena - 5 posts
Metal grills and gate refurbishment - 1 posts
Duquesa to Puerto Banus Transport - 1 posts
Can anyone recommend a gardening/fencing service in Duquesa? - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jargon Explained - 0 posts
Ryanair/Hertz - 1 posts
Ralphy - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x