Deposits on car rental

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2015 4:33 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Is it legal for a car rental company to keep hold of a deposit weeks after the car has been reurned? What is the law on this or is there no law regarding rental deposits? 

Thanks in antisipation..

Like 0      
15 Jun 2015 4:54 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

As I've previously stated, rentacarspain.com generally take around 6 weeks after the rental period to pay the €390 deposit back. However they are cheap, they greet you and walk you to your car, and they don't have a rip off fuel policy, it's a matter of balancing the pros and cons. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2015 8:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Ring your credit card company and get them involved.

Mark

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 8:50 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

To be honest Mark, if when checking my credit card statement on our return and not finding a refund, I have contacted my credit card company, whether it was them that were responsible for me recieving the refund or the ccc just holding on to it for grim death, I have no idea.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 1:47 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

There are a lot of more recent problems with car rental people mainly because there is much more demand now so they are starting to add all sorts of charges, even now with the full to empty fuel policy and refunds if you return the car full they have added an admin fee, both Goldcar and Firefly for example are charging €20 plus IVA, Europcar Interent €27 plis 21% IVA, but they cliam that it is for your convience

If they take a deposit for fuel and other risk there ios no set time for the refund but when I have querued this with a credit card company they say that 10 days is reasonable and that they will become involved if you ask, even arrange a charge back if the car rental compnay doesn't respond

If like me where I have an insurance policy to cover any excess, they take a large deposit, between €800 - €1200 but they don't make the charge just block the amount

Regardless of companyI always insist that when I return the car that they come and check the vehicle

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cleaning Service in Salou - 0 posts
Making a crime report in Spain to National Police - 10 posts
Cheap car rental option St Javier area - 4 posts
Ban cyclists ! - 32 posts
washing cars on the street - 1 posts
So we have decided to take the plunge - 10 posts
No win no fee - 1 posts
san juan de los terreros - 2 posts
COCKROACHES IN VALENCIA - 7 posts
Serena Golf apartments - 3 posts
Inter Rent Car Hire Murcia., Stay Away Warning - 13 posts
Buying a Car - 2 posts
No Community Statutes !!?? - 6 posts
Police station Cartagena - 5 posts
Mijas Costa Boardwalk - 8 posts
confused - 6 posts
Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts
taboos in presenting wedding gifts - 1 posts
Using a gestor for sale of car in Spain - 4 posts
importing english car without recidencia! - 20 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 12 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 5 posts
chould someone tell me why spanish Minimum age for marriage is 16 years old? - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x