confused

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jun 2015 2:20 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, Whilst driving I frequently encounter pedestrians strolling across a road oblivious to my car. when using the horn I am met with waving arms and shouting. Perhaps I am missing something. Do pedestrians have right of way on a road other than  pedestrian crossings. I dont drive on the pavement so expect pedestrians so give way to me on roads.

I would be interested to know whats what. Thanks

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 2:23 AM by pff001 Star rating. 126 posts Send private message

Are you driving on the right side of the road ?

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 2:58 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Nice one pff001. yes I am

Like 1      
10 Jun 2015 9:53 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It is a quaint old Spanish custom to amble across the road oblivious to other road users.

very popular amongst little old widows dressed in black, who have the right at any time to suddenly appear from between parked cars,  and wave their arms at any driver who dares to sound a warning horn.

it's compulsory to take as long as possible to cross the road 3 metres from a crossing, and if possible, have a long chat. Whole families enjoy standing in the middle of the road, catching up on the gossip.

pavements must not be used for walking on( if only because of the dog mess!) push chairs should be pushed into the road in front of the parents so the children  are in maximum danger.

The Police do not like to admonish the jaywalkers , snd spoil their fun, as Spanish customs are already dying out, and this is one they want to preserve.

immerse yourelf in Spanish culture- try  jay walking yourself; it is a liberating experience.

Like 1      
10 Jun 2015 9:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If you are turning into another road, left or right, and there is no pedestrian control on that road, say a red light for pedestrians, then they have the right of way.

As in UK, pedestrians (never cyclists using the crossing) have right of way on a pedestrian crossing but only if they  are using it. So standing waiting to cross does not mean a car must stop.  One foot on the cross means stop.   But again like in  UK, a crossing with a centre reservation,  mean s either side is treated as an individual crossing. So a person cross the opposite lane towards the reservation does not mean a driver going the other way needs to stop.

It is illegal to use the horn in a town except in an emergency situation.

Nicbax.   May I suggest you get a copy of the Spanish equivalent of the Highway Code (either in Public Library of buy form a driving school).   I suspect there may be a lot more about driving in Spain which you are not aware of.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 10:51 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There's a lot about driving in general that most Spanish are unaware of, too! Common courtesy to other road users (vehicular or pedestrian) is one such point. The people who gesticulate angrily at you for alerting them to your presence while they are ambling casually across the path of oncoming traffic without so much as a glance in either direction are the same ones who blindly speed through a red light when you are trying to (legally & correctly) cross the road. The police do not admonish any of this behaviour, since they are as guilty as any. As I type this, there is a patrol car parked on the pedestrian crossing outside my home, while the two cops are enjoying their morning coffee in the cafe over the road.

Take care out there!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
10 Jun 2015 4:26 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, Thank you all for your views and humour. I think I shall fit some sturdy Bull Bars and Italian air horns.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts
taboos in presenting wedding gifts - 1 posts
Using a gestor for sale of car in Spain - 4 posts
importing english car without recidencia! - 20 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 12 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 5 posts
chould someone tell me why spanish Minimum age for marriage is 16 years old? - 9 posts
Garrucha files for banruptcy - 0 posts
Residents getting quotes for works in the community. - 2 posts
Failure by bank to pay gas bill direct debit - 1 posts
Toni Muldoon - 0 posts
Contiflo - 1 posts
Loan for a new property - 21 posts
Double bed with storage underneath - 0 posts
long term rental advice - 0 posts
The Greek crisis - 114 posts
delivery problems - 1 posts
English Channels in Spain - 7 posts
minimum savings to stay in Spain - 9 posts
Endesa - subsequent bills? - 4 posts
Property Tax - 2 posts
Are you moving to Spain? - 0 posts
UK TV Progrmmes - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x