Avoiding high bank charges when moving large sums of money out of your bank.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2015 7:15 AM by ossie1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Hello, 

I am hopefully selling my apartment but am horrified at the bank charge associated with transferring the money out of my  bank account after the sale cheque is lodged. They don't charge for putting the money in but charge 0.35% to transfer it out say to another bank account or a foreign exchange company. 

Can anyone advise me on how to avoid this extortionate fee if I choose to take out he money. 

Thank you 

Tom ...

body p

Like 0      
16 May 2015 8:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You were lucky.  

Sol bank (now incorporated into Sabadell) charged me 0.5% which amounted to over £800 to transfer a Sterling deposit  to sterling account in another  Spanish bank.  That was despite me knowing of that possibility and trying to negotiate a better deal.

Managers can vary the charges.   After chatting with my manager, the now charges a flat 0.30 € for any amount.

So chat with your manager.

Like 0      
16 May 2015 9:26 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

ossie1

Surely if you have online banking they don't charge this to make a transfer? If it's a large amount try breaking it down in to smaller chunks. If you are needing a currency exchange have a look at sending the money to transferwise online

Like 1      
16 May 2015 10:02 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

You can't escape the charges by doing the transfer on line, as we found out to our cost last year. At least, we "only" ended up paying 0.3%. That was with Sabadell.

I

Like 1      
16 May 2015 10:55 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I'm interested to know why GB45?

I feel sure I could transfer money from my Spanish Bank account to another Euro account online without charge, in fact I have done

Like 0      
16 May 2015 3:17 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I had the same thought.  I regularly make online transfers myself occcasionally a large amount and frankly I would go through the roof if they wanted to charge me for doing so.  Perhaps you need to change banks GB45!

Like 0      
16 May 2015 5:55 PM by ossie1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

I am with Sabadell, can I transfer online without charges. I am very sceptical that they may lie to me in the branch. I have had terrible trouble with their predecessor Lloyds.

Tom ...

body p

Like 0      
16 May 2015 6:38 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Try it with a small amount Tom.

You will be asked for the recipients Name, IBAN and BIC code it should then be a automated process under the newish SEPA system.

Tom, this is only for the EURO, if there is any kind of currency converstion of course the bank will charge, this is why I recommended to send it to someone like transferwise IN Euros

Like 0      
16 May 2015 10:04 PM by ossie1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Thank you,

it it would be in Euro, I will try a small amount first ...

body p

Like 0      
17 May 2015 10:40 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Maybe because we have a non residents account? Otherwise we have no idea. We are always charged for an online transfer, admittedly it's usually a small sum. We tranferred in Euros to Moneycorp and incurred the 0.3%. No point in changing banks now as we are only waiting for our retention money and will then close the account.

Like 0      
17 May 2015 11:07 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Don't believe that's right GB45 - mine is a non res account. 

Presumably it depends on the deal agreed with your bank - I pay an annual fee these days, unlike the good old days with Barclays.

Like 0      
18 May 2015 4:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Solbank charge whether you do the transfer online or not. Worse, when I asked my branch manager a couple of years ago, he told me to my face that he would NOT charge me at all, but then I got charged. When I confronted him about it, he denied ever saying he would not charge me, and asked "Are you calling me a liar?" to which naturally I replied in the affirmative. Unfortunately, I never had it in writing from him. However, he no longer works there! When I called Solbank's customer service, they gave me a different figure than the one I found (buried deeply) on their website, which was also different to what I was actually charged. 

I think if you ask the receiving bank to make the transfer (as a direct debit) you may be able to avoid charges by the originating bank. Not sure though.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 May 2015 6:57 PM by ossie1 Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

I had exactly the same experience with Lloyds Bank when I bought the property before I transferred the money, the bank manager then went back on the agreement asking me if I had anything in writing. It was disgraceful, 

That is why I cannot trust a word they say ... 

Tom 

body p

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 12:26 PM by AngelaBond Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

They charges too high so would avoid it as much as possible.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 1:54 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Lying and stealing are next door neighbours, however Harold MacMillan once said that when a dinner guest kept on professing their total honesty, that he was minded to instruct his butler to count the silver before they left the premises. wink   

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 4:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ossie, just a thought. Can you not pay the cheque into the bank where you want it to end up?  However, if you are going to do that ask the receiving bank about charges and exchange rates before you do anything.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car road tax - 6 posts
Fibre optic broadband Benalmadena - 1 posts
Eminent domain on property, how does it work - 0 posts
Pool Cleaner & Gardener Needed Murcia - 5 posts
Mahogany Bedroom Furniture 1940's - 0 posts
Wifi/satellite internet in Las Marinas, Denia ? - 1 posts
Optic Fibre connection on CDS - 2 posts
Emigrating from the UK? - 3 posts
Looking for people emigrating the UK. - 0 posts
questions: declaration of uk interest and CGT on share sale - 6 posts
Ikea delivery - 3 posts
The little geranium - la Cala - 2 posts
recommendation for solicitor in playa flamenca - 1 posts
Recommendation for a car hire company at Malaga airport. - 34 posts
AIRPORT CAR HIRE - 5 posts
Legal tip 1297. USA banks deleting debt records, are Spain´s too? - 0 posts
Moving to Costa del Sol - 8 posts
Recommedation for security grills/shutters - 4 posts
hire car malaga airport - 2 posts
UK house valuation UK - 9 posts
Selling out to partner - 1 posts
Best type of Combi Boiler to buy in Madrid - 4 posts
New Will? - 21 posts
long Shot ? - 0 posts
New peeps - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x