Moving to Costa del Sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 May 2015 1:13 PM by donnacarney Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

My partner and I are thinking aobut moving to the Costa del Sol area soemtime in September (possibly Mijas or Benalmadena as we have been told there are loads of expat British there) and was wondering if anyone could give us some advice. I am a qualified Nurse and my partner an English language Teacher.  We have been applying for jobs online but have been told that it is better to move out there and then look for jobs.  We were going to find a property pay a years rent and try and find work  once we are out there. Do people on this site who live in the area think this is a good idea. 

We would really appreciate your advice and help.

Thanks,

Donna from Liverpool

Like 0      
12 May 2015 2:43 PM by scambuster Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

You are right to rent first to see if you really want to live in Spain, contracts I believe run for 11 months. Mijas used to be typically Spanish but very touristy now and yes loads of expats there and in Benalmadena, completely different areas though. Look down from the top in Mijas at the huge urban coastal sprawl below you, pretty damn awful sight, will probably make you prefer Mijas. As for jobs, I'd really try and secure those before you go, it's not that easy to get jobs in Spain, everyone wants them including locals. How good is your Spanish too, if rusty or poor, you will need to improve to compete? I know middle class English people who've lived there for over 25 years, fluent in Spanish yet still scratching about for a living and they've had to claim Spanish benefits in the past, whilst their property prices dropped a bomb, they cannot now buy back in the UK.

Above all, do plenty of homework on where, jobs, language, problems etc.

Like 3      
12 May 2015 3:31 PM by donnacarney Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for your advice! It all sounds pretty bleak. We're in no way middle class however, I do have a property here to rent to support me whilst looking for jobs. It seems to be a catch 22 in that Employers over there are saying to move there first as they cannot offer me anything until i am settled there. I have intermediate Spanish but do need to improve. We visted the Costa del Sol a couple of weeks ago and really liked Benalmadena pueblo but not too fussed on the port. We passed by Mijas but didn't explore it. Is it still pretty traditional there or has it been spoilt by all us Brits ( I didn't quite understand your comment on it?)

Thanks, 

Like 0      
12 May 2015 3:49 PM by Gladbrook Star rating in Olocau, Valencia. 3 posts Send private message

I know quite a few spanish nurses in the Valencia area and they are telling me that nursing jobs are few and far between, some of them are looking to relocate to the UK for work. 

Like 1      
12 May 2015 4:06 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Dona

Have a look in the local newspapers, you can view print editions off them all online.

Euro Weekly News The Sur in English The Olive Press

Like 2      
12 May 2015 4:11 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Try contacting Angels nursing group. (Google costa del sol angels). A company providing nursing care in English. There's an email for job applications so might be worth a shot. 

Apparently a third of nurses in the Valencian region are unemployed.

Like 0      
12 May 2015 4:16 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes, that is good advice re Angels.   They probably have enough nurses but they are always looking for carers and there is a high turn over of staff, so getting a shoe in does not seem to be difficult.  They operate across Andalucia as far as I am aware.   I would guess low wages - but a start!!

Like 0      
12 May 2015 4:41 PM by donnacarney Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone! Really helpful info. I have been in touch with Angels and a few other Nursing agencies who replied that they employ only those based in Spain but I will check out that website. I suppose a high turnover indicates poor working environment but as you say it would give me a foot in the door. I am going to do a TEFL course in a few weeks so I may be able to do a bit of English teaching too. Does anyone know about the situation regarding language schools in the Costa del Sol area? 

Big thanks!!!!!

Like 0      
12 May 2015 5:06 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

English teachers in great demand across Andalucia.   Demand may have peaked last summer, but most Spanish families want their kids to be able to speak English and there are a lot of private language schools who would take you on with the basic level of TEFL.   Again, hourly pay, likely to be lowish, but a foot in the door (and often a way to improve your Spanish too).  Re Angels - I would walk through the door once you are in Spain, and ask about getting started.    Same with the schools - locate and approach!!

Good luck.   

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Recommedation for security grills/shutters - 4 posts
hire car malaga airport - 2 posts
UK house valuation UK - 9 posts
Selling out to partner - 1 posts
Best type of Combi Boiler to buy in Madrid - 4 posts
New Will? - 21 posts
long Shot ? - 0 posts
New peeps - 1 posts
help moving to spain - 15 posts
Basic Spanish healthcare system - 3 posts
Help pls - 5 posts
Another one to Beware of - 1 posts
Another One To Watch Out For - 0 posts
UK Driving License - Discontinuance of the Counterpart - 31 posts
a good car insurer - 2 posts
Holiday rental, is it worth it. - 4 posts
Hello, is there anybody there..... - 7 posts
Rent a Car Lisbon - 0 posts
Wanted drummer - 0 posts
Iberian Lynx - 0 posts
Where do I buy white goods (Washing Machine) In Murcia Region? - 15 posts
brittany ferries guest codes - 1 posts
Lawyers fees for selling ... - 26 posts
moving in - 3 posts
Spanish lifestyle magazines? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x