LONG TERM RENTAL

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2015 9:19 PM by IzzyDesigner Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I WANT TO SPEND SOME TIME IN SPAIN AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT LONG TERM RENTALS, BUT I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS AND I WONDER IF YOU COULD HELP ME.

DOES THE RENT USUALLY INCLUDE GAS/ELECTRICITY/HEATING/ WATER RATES?

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM REQUIRED STAY FOR A LONG TERM RENTAL? 3, 6 OR 12 MONTHS?

ARE THERE ANY PITFALLS I SHOULD BE AWARE WHEN SIGNING A CONTRACT?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP AS I HAVE NO IDEA AS HOW TO GO ABOUT IT.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP

Izzy

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 9:27 PM by kennyfisher Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Izzy

I can only speak for my own personal property but I'd imagine most others are the same. I rent from anything from 3 months to 11 months at a time (also shorter holiday lets where the terms are diferent) and the monthly rent includes all facilities in the property including TV and Broadband and all taxes e.g. community charge. The tenant pays the electricty and water bills.

If you want any further details of my property, let me know.

Like 2      
18 Feb 2015 8:55 PM by Shininglight Star rating in Norwich Norfolk. 3 posts Send private message

Hello Kennyfisher

I would be most interested in a few more details myself to this question regarding the cost of living.  I have had various opinions about the cost of utility bills over the last few months, since I decided I wanted to spend part of my retirement in Almeria. Some have said that electricity is very expensive and only recently I was told that this bill alone would be about 100 euros a month. This seems a huge amount considering I would be a single occupant - eating out most days and a shower once a day.  Of course I would need the light on in the evenings! I wear my coat in England during the winter months, no joke - I have it on now.  So I know how to live frugally and actually enjoy it. 

I have been quoted 350 euros for an apartment in a gated community, beautifully furnished (I have visited it and it is absolutely lovely). I can't believe how inexpensive it is compared to what I struggle to keep going here.  However this does not include any utilities so I need to ensure that the estimates I am looking at are realistic.  

I would be interested Kennyfisher of  how much you pay for your property which includes all these bills, what type of property it is. 

After costs of the apartment I will have approximately 750 euros left to live on (I do  have money put aside for emergencies).  In your opinion would 750 give me a reasonable standard of living - I can't think of anything I need other than food everyday and the odd vino.  I spend less than £500 a month  here in England for bills and running a car,  and we know the cost of living here is enormous. I won't be driving in Spain.  I want to spend 3 months every 6 months in Spain on a shoestring!

Thanks looking forward to your reply.

Susan 

Like 0      
18 Feb 2015 9:15 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Im doing the same as you, the place im going to rent is 400 euros, im planning on having a 1000 euro over for utilities food & car etc, and hope i dont be come ill.ive seen a place that will included gas & electric & water but they want 250 euro on top of the rent, i wont bother with that.

Like 1      
18 Feb 2015 9:25 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Our electricity bill is about 100 euro a month averaged throughout the year. However, there are two of us in a 3 bed house. Everything is electric so no gas bills. Quite heavy users with computers, TV, phone chargers, electric oven and all the other stuff we use. We also use electric for heating and for aircon although we are pretty frugal with that. What you have to take into account is the high standing charge here. It will cost around 30 euro a month before you even plug something in and VAT on electricity here is the full 21%, not the reduced 5% like UK. If there's only you in a flat then I would think 80 euro (about £60) a month would need to be budgeted for. Water is metered and our quarterly bill comes to around 60 to 65 euro (about £45 a quarter) but the bill doesn't seem to vary regardless of how much water we use. The bill when we had my daughter/SiL and the 2 grandchildren for 6 weeks only went up a couple of euros. Again, standing charges and also includes rubbish collection and sewerage.

750 euro should be plenty to have a fine time here after rent and utilities are paid. We don't get through much more than that and the OH is a dirty, filthy smoker (his words) plus there are two of us.

Like 1      
18 Feb 2015 10:58 PM by kennyfisher Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The various tenants I've had over the last 3 years electricty averages about 100 euros a month and water 60-65 euros per QUARTER so about 20 Euros a month.

Our house is a 2 bed quarter villa. I would reckon 750 euros a month after rent and utilities is more than enough to have a good life in Spain. Maybe a bit more if you are running a car too.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LOST THE RECENT DUCK CONFIT RECIPE! - 3 posts
Long Term Car Hire - Malaga - 0 posts
Second-hand goods bought in Spain subject to two-year guarantee - 9 posts
Brussels raises 2015 growth forecast for Spain - 2 posts
Amazon Fire TV - 10 posts
English speaking vet Murcia - 9 posts
TV and Satelite Info around Spain - 0 posts
hi i'm Sue! - 12 posts
Consumer units and general installation questions - 1 posts
Spanish terrestrial TV - 4 posts
Buying a Car - 11 posts
medical certs for driving - 2 posts
Electrician in torrevieja . - 0 posts
When Tax Free Permanent Health Insurance is your only income - 0 posts
deborah - 1 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola - 4 posts
Assistance with locating a property to purchase in Andalucia - 1 posts
Reply problem - 1 posts
Reply problem - 9 posts
Inheritance tax in Andalucia - 4 posts
Civil Service pensions - 0 posts
FOR SALE TITLEIST DCI 990 IRONS - 1 posts
The Flintstones - 0 posts
la Nucia or Almoradi - 0 posts
Weather this week - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x