Second-hand goods bought in Spain subject to two-year guarantee

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2015 8:26 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

This might be of interest to some, although in practice, I not quite sure how successful a claim would really be.... :

ITEMS purchased second-hand in Spain are subject to a two-year guarantee, unless buyer and seller agree to a lesser period, according to a government consumer department.

The buyer and seller are allowed to agree either for the latter to pay for repairs if the product breaks down within the first two years, or to substantially reduce the purchase price.

This does not apply where private individuals sell goods to each other, but in these cases, the buyer has up to six months to claim for repairs, refund or a price reduction through the courts if the item is not satisfactory.

Sales of electrical appliances, furniture or clothes must come with a receipt or invoice giving the shop's details and a written guarantee if requested - if not requested, the guarantee remains valid anyway - and all products, second hand or new, must be properly labelled and show the price on them.

Buyers have the right to a 14-day cooling-off period with second-hand goods bought online from a company, meaning they can return the product and claim a full refund for any reason whatsoever, but purchasers should clarify before buying who should pay return postage and under what circumstances.

Read full story

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 9:03 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Ian, yet again thanks for info, However i saw this on the blog page a couple of days ago and asked the question where can i get more informtion, and where can i find this law, i went eveh further by asking via the Spanish citazen advice bureo site. Outcome NOTHING  from either this site or the CAB.

Is there no control on this site or verification of what is submitted before clarificatin is correct, or is it a free for all. A important and valiuable information like this where euros and confrontation could be made and where embaresent can be avoided should be taken in to account, with out referance where such information has come from is not good enough.

I must say also i have replied to earlier posts on Blogs but never ever any answers private or public whats going on ¿¿

This message was last edited by nitram on 06/02/2015.

This message was last edited by nitram on 06/02/2015.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 9:12 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Ian, yet again thanks for info, However i saw this on the blog page a couple of days ago and asked the question where can i get more informtion, and where can i find this law, i went eveh further by asking via the Spanish citazen advice bureo site. Outcome NOTHING  from either this site or the CAB.

Is there no control on this site or verification of what is submitted before clarificatin is correct, or is it a free for all. A important and valiuable information like this where euros and confrontation could be made and where embaresent can be avoided should be taken in to account, with out referance where such information has come from is not good enough.

I must say also i have replied to earlier posts on Blogs but never ever any answers private or public whats going on ¿¿

Well you could try and google what you want to know, you might have an eye opener as to what comes up.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 9:18 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi, it does mention in the article it was advertised by the government consumer department "Consumo" as it is normally referred to. The citizens advice bureau may not be up to date with consumer issues. The news that is published on this site is from ThinkSpain our other site and all the news published  there comes from reliable and professional sources always and certainly is not free for all. 

As for replying to blog posts that depends on the blogger and the blog, our news blog is simply a news blog I am afraid for your general interest, when possible we reply, normally when we can offer valid information, but on many occasions the news report may not be in our area of expertise, so we would never dream of giving guidance when we do not know.

However, for your piece of mind here is a link to the official consumer's page in Madrid which advertises this exact information:

Go to official Consumer announcment

Hope this helps :-)

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 8:34 AM by hrespana Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

So this only applies to secondhand goods bought from stores?

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 9:29 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

hrespana

So this only applies to secondhand goods bought from stores?

I think this paragraph covered that:

This does not apply where private individuals sell goods to each other, but in these cases, the buyer has up to six months to claim for repairs, refund or a price reduction through the courts if the item is not satisfactory.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 9:33 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Well I would say any company or registered business. It applies to online companies too. I think this will be of most interest to those who buy second hand cars and white goods mainly. As I seem to recall garages only offered 12 months guarantee when buying a second hand car before. In reality between individuals I think it will always come down to his word against yours unless you write an agreement, but I can't see that happening.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 9:49 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

If you read the full information on the consumer website, in Spanish, it states used vehicles are to be sold with 1 years garantee. This change in the rules is to comply with EU regulations which introduced these protections some years ago but are now being incorporated into Spainish law.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 9:54 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Yes you are quite right, I didn't read through to the following link at the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out!

Like 0      
07 Feb 2015 10:57 AM by watchmanager Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

This is all down to interpretation.

I was informed that in Europe it is now 2 years guarantee on electrical goods. In England It's still only a 1 year statutory guarantee, unless stated otherwise, so I checked. In Europe it is 2 years BUT in England it is better at 6 years. However, this is where the INTERPRETATION comes in. Your statutory guarantee is still only 1 year BUT your RIGHT to go to court if you think your product should have lasted longer for the cost of it IS 2 years in Europe and 6 years in England. This is hard though as the owness is on you to prove it in court, not for the shop to defend. This may be the same as in your blog. What this does seem to improve on second hand goods is that they can't be 'sold as seen' anymore.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Brussels raises 2015 growth forecast for Spain - 2 posts
Amazon Fire TV - 10 posts
English speaking vet Murcia - 9 posts
TV and Satelite Info around Spain - 0 posts
hi i'm Sue! - 12 posts
Consumer units and general installation questions - 1 posts
Spanish terrestrial TV - 4 posts
Buying a Car - 11 posts
medical certs for driving - 2 posts
Electrician in torrevieja . - 0 posts
When Tax Free Permanent Health Insurance is your only income - 0 posts
deborah - 1 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola - 4 posts
Assistance with locating a property to purchase in Andalucia - 1 posts
Reply problem - 1 posts
Reply problem - 9 posts
Inheritance tax in Andalucia - 4 posts
Civil Service pensions - 0 posts
FOR SALE TITLEIST DCI 990 IRONS - 1 posts
The Flintstones - 0 posts
la Nucia or Almoradi - 0 posts
Weather this week - 3 posts
TV Opportunity - 5 posts
work opportunities for native english speaking teacher of spanish and french - 0 posts
Long lets in Lake Vinuela - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x