Brussels raises 2015 growth forecast for Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2015 10:12 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Interesting article I read yesterday:

Brussels has raised its forecast for Spanish economic growth in 2015 to 2.3%, a significant increase from its previous prediction.

After reducing Spanish growth prospects from 2.1% to 1.7% three months ago, the European Commission is now optimistic enough to have applied the biggest upward revision in the entire eurozone to Spain.

After several years of doom and gloom, Brussels is now holding Spain up as a role model for others to follow.
After three years of recession, the Spanish economy began to grow in 2014 and appears to be consolidating on the back of an improved labor market, better financial conditions, increased confidence and falling oil prices, according to the EC report, which was presented on Thursday.

This radical turnaround vindicates Spain’s Popular Party government, which had openly criticized Brussels’ pessimistic views in November. Now, the EC is even more optimistic than the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which recently forecast 2% growth for Spain in 2015.

The revised figures are the result of increased domestic demand fueled by expectations of an incipient recovery and timid job creation, coupled with better financing conditions and falling oil prices. These are making up for lower exports.

Greater output, however, will not translate into similar progress for the Spanish labor market, where the unemployment rate is expected to remain above 20% until at least late next year.

[source el pais]

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 1      
10 Mar 2015 10:22 AM by CityStall Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

But do the EU  Have a good record of getting predictions correct? 

Like 0      
10 Mar 2015 1:35 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

I don't see the relevance of a growth prediction when unemployment figures are so high, particularly those of the young which stand at over 50%. Whenever I am impressed with a young person's efforts in the Spanish service sector, more often than not they come from an Eastern European country, a bearing perhaps.

Overall unemployment figures in Spain are some 25%, I don't know the breakdown but wager that the construction sector is the highest, with the financial services sector coming a close second. The property boom of 2007 artificially predicted unachievable growth rates, a saying of my late grandfather comes to mind re the 2015 forecast, this being:-

Half of three quarters of nowt, is still b***** all  

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 10/03/2015.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Amazon Fire TV - 10 posts
English speaking vet Murcia - 9 posts
TV and Satelite Info around Spain - 0 posts
hi i'm Sue! - 12 posts
Consumer units and general installation questions - 1 posts
Spanish terrestrial TV - 4 posts
Buying a Car - 11 posts
medical certs for driving - 2 posts
Electrician in torrevieja . - 0 posts
When Tax Free Permanent Health Insurance is your only income - 0 posts
deborah - 1 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola - 4 posts
Assistance with locating a property to purchase in Andalucia - 1 posts
Reply problem - 1 posts
Reply problem - 9 posts
Inheritance tax in Andalucia - 4 posts
Civil Service pensions - 0 posts
FOR SALE TITLEIST DCI 990 IRONS - 1 posts
The Flintstones - 0 posts
la Nucia or Almoradi - 0 posts
Weather this week - 3 posts
TV Opportunity - 5 posts
work opportunities for native english speaking teacher of spanish and french - 0 posts
Long lets in Lake Vinuela - 0 posts
advice on living in villas del duque - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x