€900 to put electric in my name?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2015 6:44 PM by RoyPanda Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

I recently bought a house in Estepona and the lawyer I used has saini need a new meter and fuse box thingy to have electric put in my name. 

He sent some guys round with a quote for €900! I am really shocked at this and am wondering if it's right? I am told by a local shop keeper that if I change electric company there will be no charge? 

Anyone out there that can advise me? I can't really afford €900 :(  Roy

Like 0      
12 Jan 2015 7:35 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, is this a new build house? If so then these charges are normally made. Ours didn't cost that much but was over €500 and that was about 6 years ago and included the water supply and meter as well.

If it's a resale, unless your fusebox is really old then it shouldn't need changing. When I sold a flat the solicitor simply changed the name on the account online and didn't make any charge and there is no reason to change it simply because the account name is changing. If it does need a new fusebox because the old one is no longer fit for purpose then that still seems excessive. I paid £270 for a replacement one in UK including fitting so 900 euro does seem a bit much.

On the other hand, if there is no current contract (lapsed because of no one living there, for example, or a bank repossession) then the cost of connecting to the supply and fitting a meter is around €300. If the property is more than 20 years old then a "boletin" (safety certificate) would be required and these can cost upwards of €200 to obtain.

(When we first moved over, it would have been easier to keep the front door open and just throw money out the door at everyone who passed as everyone seemed to want something for this and something else for that. Expensive old business here).

Like 0      
12 Jan 2015 9:09 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Hi I also had a electric meter and water meter fitted 7 years ago cost 500eu for the two I did not require any other work to be carried out .

Warning make sure you set up a standing order for the water and electric if you dontand you fail to pay on time you will be cut off and you will have to pay again and will take up to 6 weeks for a reconection good luck.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 2:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roy the electricity company will have a tariff for work they undertake, so first of all check what they would charge to do the work.

However, if you employ an electrician, then he can charge whatever  he likes to do any work.  There is no legally established standard charge. It's like buying any other service or product. One shop may sell a TV for 100 euros whereas another might ask 200 for the same set,  one gardener may ask 10 euros an hour, another 20, that is why people shop around.   It would be tempting if you ask someone, anyone including a  solicitor, real estate agent to recommend someone, for them to choose someone who would  add a commission on top for them.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/01/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help and Advice on rentals in Mojon Hills - 9 posts
Reregistering a car over 25 years old. - 1 posts
driving from uk to the costa blanca - 3 posts
Dog friendly hotel near Spanish border - 0 posts
Dogs vs caterpillars, sandflies and other maladies - 3 posts
Long Term Rental Sought - 10 posts
Apartment wanted for July, August, September rental for two careful tenants. Anywhere Costa del sol. - 0 posts
Looking for Rented Property - 0 posts
New to EyeonSpain - 5 posts
Cerrado de Calderon area? primary school? good area? - 0 posts
When buying.. choosing a solicitor.. needs to be local ? / Javea - 0 posts
Room to let wanted from 3rd MARCH 2015...Malaga as far as marbella - 1 posts
Los alcazares or algorfa - 0 posts
Wintering in Spain.....we're booked! - 8 posts
Man and/or Van Needed - 2 posts
Astra - 2 posts
A question for law firms relating to major delays and speedy accountability of Banks - 0 posts
SPECIAL APPEAL – FIFI NEEDS YOUR HELP! - 0 posts
taxes - 0 posts
Piano Lessons Orihuela Costa. - 0 posts
Painter&Decorator - 1 posts
Can someone please help?? - 8 posts
4G PAYG Mobile internet Benalmadena - 1 posts
The Truth about property and permisions when Buying/selling - 18 posts
SPANISH ELECTRIC ITEMS NOT CHARGING PROPERLY - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x