Food

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

I am already an ex-pat, having lived in The Netherlands since 1976. Looking forward to retiring next year to La Herencia de Casares. What I want to know is, does anyone go to Gibraltar - Morrisons  - for their food shopping. Is it too much of an effort? I can't wait, I have already bought a cool box that plugs into the car.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 11:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I think it depends a lot on how far you live from Gib, whether you can be bothered with the border hassle (some recent reports say it's much improved lately) and how desperate you are for a "fix" of British products. If you smoke, drink or consume large quantities of electronic goods, you can make considerable savings by popping over. Personally I can't see the point, since there really is virtually nothing you can't buy in any main Spanish supermarket - unless it absolutely has to be a particular brand. I don't know if Morrisons are in the Netherlands, but if not, I wonder how often you pop over to the UK to go to a supermarket?! For me in Torremolinos, it's just not worth it. If you take into consideration the very real possibility of being delayed at the border several hours (each way), you could probably drive to the UK from Holland, via the Tunnel, just as quickly! Although my neighbour assures me that Morrisons do some fantastic (and cheap) cakes that makes the journey worthwhile!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Aug 2007 4:29 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

You have my interest now, talking about terrific cakes. I am in Estepona for the first two weeks in September so I think I might just have to check them out. Thanks for your tip!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2007 4:59 PM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

I have made sevral trips to Gib and Morrisons on visits to the Costa Del Sol. I have never experienced these long delays that people always go on about and have visited at various times of the year and various times of the day. You do have to queue to exit Gib,but to be honest this has never been more than 15 or 20 minutes. It is true you can buy most products on the CDS now but you will find they are also double the price of the Morrisons in Gib.

Also worth mentioning is the Iceland/Waitrose store in Fuengirola.It goes under the banner of Iceland but it does also sell Waitrose products. This is going to become a part of a chain of these stores opening all along the Costa Del Sol.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2007 7:48 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Thanks Samson. The Iceland/Waitrose store is also a great tip. Gosh, I can see me getting really big very quickly when I move. Will have to make extra lengths in the pool every day. I'm hoping the initial -kid in a sweetshop - feeling will not last long.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 12:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Iceland store going to be opened in Torrevieja soon.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 9:12 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We live in Manilva, so not far from you in Casares and we are always poppping into Gibraltar. In fact many people commute from as far as Marbella to Gibraltar to work everyday.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 10:20 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

There is a new english supermarket opening in CN 340, Km148. Some supermarkets like Supersol, Carrefour, Mercadona sell now english products. I like to go to GIb sometimes but I find it silly to be going every week. the idea of come to Spain is to leve the spanish live or no?

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 11:38 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We probably go once a month. You usually find when you are following a recipe that you need to go to Gib for some ingredients but you can get a lot more here than you used to.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 3:08 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

I started the "FOOD" thread last August and it is still going!!

It only goes to show how much we love our food.

p.s. I am coming to CDS for a week from 24/2/08  and I do plan to make a trip to Gib. We did get the turkey there for Xmas and loads of other goodies besides,  BUT NOBODY TURNED UP.

We had to eat it all ourselves, shame. Having a walk along the beach while the turkey was cooking was a first.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 4:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
You should have told us, we would have come over to help you eat all your goodies!!

Susan

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 4:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"You usually find when you are following a recipe that you need to go to Gib for some ingredients"

For example? Just curious. I asked 'er indoors, and we honestly are struggling to think of anything that you can't get somewhere locally. Suet is tricky, but Dunnes usually have it.

Are you sure it's not just an excuse to pop over once a month for a bit of cultural respite? You're near enough to justify it. But what about our CB friends?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 5:59 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Margaret - thats cos we were all at Ikea having meatballs and waiting for you!!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 6:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
let me think, tahini for example

Susan

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 6:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Tahini? How much you willing to pay? I'll happily supply that for you! We're very cosmopolitan up here in Torrie, you know.

I see you can't keep away from IKEA, Rixxy.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 7:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Tahini?  What do you want, Greek, Cypriot or Lebanese?  All available in cosmopolitan Torre, you know.  After years of using the Cypriot tahini, we found the Lebanese and it is lovely and smooth.

Anyhoo....Now that Carrefour are selling Pukka pies and HP sauce, I might turn into a typical expat and stop shopping in the markets.  What will we all find to complain of now that Bisto gravy and porky scratchings are available in the International section.  Gosh, they even sold turkeys at Christmas.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 8:02 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Susan, if you want the best Tahina, I'll bring it with me in July!!  We only have the best here, because the majority of the population live on it!!  So I'll bring a few tubs of it in the summer!!

It's practically a staple here.  I always keep it in stock, as I use it as a dip with yogurt (I'll give you the recipe if you want!!) - it's yummmmmmmy!!

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 8:51 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I would love that Pitby. It's my birthday in July so that'll be my present.

Susan

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 10:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Had to go check, but can confirm ours is also Lebanese. Makes wonderful hummus 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 10:23 PM by margaret magee Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Rixxy,

I live five minutes away from IKEA here in the Netherlands so that didn't really do it for me. You always want what is not within easy reach. Like dreaming of warm sunny days here in the freezing cold.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Patio Furniture for sale - 9 posts
Long term rentals - 0 posts
beautiful cat - 0 posts
Bridge Holmes - 0 posts
hyundai accent - 0 posts
Grants for renovations - 2 posts
Many Thanks Em - 2 posts
Contracts, Lawyers and Compensation - 21 posts
JUSTIN, I NEED URGENT HELP - 41 posts
Looking for a long term let! - 1 posts
Please join me in wishing Tinasolera & her family a wonderful & happy life in Spain - 8 posts
Santa Maria Village, Elviria - 1 posts
Ayrshire Duo - 2 posts
ME! GIVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE? Er....yes - 13 posts
Looking for offers... - 0 posts
PROFILE NAME CHANGE - 3 posts
Low Cost business opportunity - 1 posts
car registation in spain - 0 posts
Marble floor polishing in Manilva / Estepona area - 1 posts
janet atkinson - 1 posts
Murcia Property Market? - 1 posts
Short term holiday rental contracts - 3 posts
Cadastral (Property detail) Map - 4 posts
New restaurant for Manilva? - 1 posts
Hi,to everyone that bought in Trampolinhills - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 64

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x