Large Endesa Bills Despite No Power Usage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Dec 2014 10:24 AM by Gary001 Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

A couple of months ago I re-established electricitysupply to my property in Spain and after the usual reconnection/new contract fee I have been receiving bills of over EUR100 per month for the past two months.

The property was unoccupied during this period so I was completely surprised that my monthly bill in Spain is close to my annual bill in my flat in the UK. When I spoke to a representative at the local Endesa office, I was told that the high charge is due to the fact that I cave 3-phase supply to the property, as opposed to single-phase power. The 3-phase supply can deliver a maximum power of 10,392 kW.

Still, regardless of the phase of the power, I don't understand why the rate is so high even when no power is drawn. They say that if I change to a lower power rating then it may be that certain appliances will not work in the flat.

The power to my UK flat is single-phase and I don't think I suffer from the absence of appliances that operate at a higher power rating.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Kind regards,

Gary

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 10:35 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I was told that the high charge is due to the fact that I cave 3-phase supply to the property, as opposed to single-phase power. The 3-phase supply can deliver a maximum power of 10,392 kW.

Sounds like you were sold something you didn't need, with this sort of potencia you could run a small factory! With this type of supply I would imagine the standing charges, levies and VAT on top would come out at around 100€ per month

Maybe you could hire a electrician for an hour so he could evaluate your needs.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 10:52 AM by Gary001 Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Team GB,

Yes I quite agree. I might as well be running a small factory - perhaps making electricity meters.

The Endesa rep told me that I can change down to a lower rating but that it would be at my own risk as it may mean some appliances no longer work. I cannot see any appliances ceasing to work after switching to a 1-phase supply.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 10:54 AM by Gary001 Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Oh, I forgot to mention. The Endesa rep mentioned that I can switch to lower power, but that some a/c units only operate on 3-phase and this may mean these no longer operate.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 11:20 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Ok, yes that will be it. So you haven't been mis sold.

When the supply was reinstated there would have been a boletin carried out (report) and this would have been used to determine the supply needed. So you have a choice, either change the ac units to modern single phase units, don't use them at all or continue as you are.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 11:36 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Gary, the 100€ is your bi monthly standing charge. Because of my ( industrial sized) aircon/heating units and being totally electric I have a potencia of almost 14.  So am in for 130€ before switching anything on !!  But at least nothing ever trips..... 

If you are not totally electric think 3 phase unnecessary but wondering if this is now the normal instillation in order that the company's can charge more. 

Unfortunately  that is the system here and because all Brits assume power  is same as in UK , of not only the same low standing charge but everyone having the same potencia, we get caught out.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 3:00 PM by redcastle Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hello

We had a problem with Endesa debiting our account with excessive amounts when the property was empty and electric turned off. Lots of emails and 3 visits to their EStepona office failed to convince Endesa they had overcharged. WE resolved it by sending them copies of our water consumption over the same period. Which obviously was nil.

No acknowlegment  from Endesa but they did not charge us again till our credit (the 500e plus that we had been charged for in error), ran out.

redcastle

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 3:06 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Also you may wish to change your locks as Spain is full of scams ,you may have unwanted guests or your electric is running next doors property 

Remember Spain is mostly crooked and everyone will try to rip you off if you are a foreignersurprise

Love Hugh

Like 2      
29 Dec 2014 4:45 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

What a sad life you must lead, hugh.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2014 11:32 AM by Marilyn Star rating. 46 posts Send private message

Hi,                                                                                                                      

We have a townhouse- and the meter is at the end of the block.

It is permanently locked with a euro style key, not a universal one.

Please does anyone know how we can get a key ?

Our solicitor says we are entitled to one but Endesa haven't been helpful.

Any helpful suggestions?

Happy New Year!

Regards, Marilyn and Rik

San Juan de Los Terreros

Like 0      
31 Dec 2014 11:32 AM by Marilyn Star rating. 46 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Marilyn on 31/12/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

3,2,1 to Martinsa- Fadesa´s liquidation-- Actions against Banks opened - 1 posts
Buying a Spanish registered car in the UK - 12 posts
Residency - 13 posts
UK Paper License - 65 posts
Heating help! - 16 posts
Merry Christmas - 1 posts
Another government cock-up! - 0 posts
Astra Satellite - 13 posts
TEXT Santa etc - 2 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice surprise - 0 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice sorprise - 0 posts
Buyer withdraws due to Fuera de Ordenación classification - 8 posts
Cost of installing a lift/elevator? - 0 posts
easyJet luggage charges - 0 posts
Looking for a job....Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
CAJA RURAL liable of refunds in Eurohouse, Fortuna development - 3 posts
Uk Car sale - 0 posts
villa salada - 0 posts
Internet - 7 posts
replacement coping stones for swimming pool - 2 posts
Hola Malaga, looking forward to speaking to u all - 0 posts
Have you read Platero y yo? - 0 posts
5% withholding tax on sale - 5 posts
Atlas Choice - car hire brokers - 2 posts
Gotardo Rodriguez Palmera Properties - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x