used cars

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Nov 2014 7:41 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

I know they say used cars are more expensive in spain, but I have just seen a bently advertised on ebay as lhd in spain 1999 modle arnarge. Price £34900. (Out of my league of course) but if you look on ebay for sale in tge uk the average price for this same vehicle of the same year is £15000. £19000 is a bit more than  " a bit more expensive" .

Like 1      
26 Nov 2014 8:32 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

There are currently 955 for sale on Autotrader's UK web site, they are getting to be as common as muck. laugh

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 9:03 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

casperruby

Yes, I saw that advertised, It's only done 8/9000 miles since 1999 so difficult to value.

If you look on www,coches.net there are eight models advertised between 1989 and 2000, they range from 25,000€ to 60,000€ and all with much higher mileages

Like 1      
26 Nov 2014 3:35 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Autotrader have a nice 1995 model with full service history, 79,000 miles for £7,950.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 3:48 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Interesting I only mentioned this as I have looked at a lot of cars advertisedon ebay as in spain and some of the professional car dealers using ebay to sell there cars say "of course you must remember that you cannot relate uk prices to thouse of spain"  what total bull droppings! Whrn I mentioned to a local in the village I was looking for a car and told himmof the prices asked he said rubbish you can buy this or that car for much less in the xxx garage up the road and on vloser inspection hes right. So who's kidding who with stupid prices 

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 4:06 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I think car dealers the world over tend to think that thier 'buying public' are mugs

At the end of the day a car is the same as property, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. With Spain I've always found that the asking prices for second had cars are well inflated and that there is quite a bit of wriggle room. You have to play the long game in Spain, make a offer and walk away, it might take three weeks. One thing for sure, you won't find Mr & Mrs Spanish paying too much for a car

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 4:26 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I can't recall ever seeing a Bentley in Spain, however I did see a rag top rhd Rolls in Puerto Banus, do they still have the Ferrari hire shop there?

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 4:38 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I can't recall ever seeing a Bentley in Spain

No,they are not as popular as the silver Ford Focus - Ford must have had a job lot of silver paint, there's thousands of them!

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 4:44 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I think car dealers the world over tend to think that thier 'buying public' are mugs

Not quite that way really, more like the other way around.

The second hand car market is based on more then one thing, say the dealer pays £2,000 for a car and marks it up for £2,995, not a bad profit...If it sold straight away  with no hassle, but unfortunately thats not the case, never is.

VAT around £200, income TAX debatably but likely another £50 / 60, servicing about £60 / 70, with most cars the buyer wants the cam-belt / kit changed, £80 plus £40 to fit, valeting about £20, the dealer has to edge his bets with any warranty come backs, and this hasn't even taken into account one or two tyres, or MOT cost and  "IF"  repairs.

Now the buyer ask's the dealer to take his old car in part ex, never anything wrong with it,  the short road test the dealer can only do no faults show up, go another mile and they start. The seller thinks the dealer is a mug because he off-loaded his pile of rubbish onto someone else.

So the p/x allowance is £400.

The dealer might have had the £2,995 car for 5 / 6 weeks, he laid out his own money to buy it, he stored it, he prepared it...etc etc.

The £1,000 profit is now somewhere in the region of £550, (not accounting for the £400 p/x) if the car don't come back under warranty repairs, the part ex might make him some profit, he might lose.

Haven't included any outgoing insurance cost's, rents, rates, advertising costs, and if he employs people, well thats another ball game altogether.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 4:50 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I saw a very old wreck of a  car in a farmyard in Spain with hens in it, on searching through some vet car books on my return to the UK, it had a very good chance of being a Hispano-Suiza, I will never know for sure. 

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 5:15 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Baz

'Mug' was possibly not the best word to make the point I wanted .Maybe 'ill informed know nothings' would of been better

However, you certainly won't have me crying over a car dealers lot

This message was last edited by Team GB on 26/11/2014.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2014 7:54 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Used cars are one of few high ticket priced second hand purchases that are made by people across the board, other than for property, motor cycles, boats etc. I like to buy a car for a fraction of it's new price, when it's 5 years old and has a full service history, I'm not a car snob, but am a bit of a petrol head (or in my case diesel), and prefer SUV's  for comfort reasons, the internet helps me to price a prospective purchase, the AA/RAC are available in the UK to conduct a more thorough inspection of the vehicle, is this available in Spain?

In the 3 years that I've owned my 8 years old BMW X3 2.0 tdi SE I have spent circa £2.5K on servicing, repairs, tyres etc, is that good or bad, I haven't got a clue?         

Like 0      
29 Apr 2015 10:39 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

It is far better buying a New Car in Spain. You don't know what you are getting buying a Second Hand Car and they are far too expensive in Spain. Go for a New Car!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigel

Like 0      
29 Apr 2015 12:32 PM by edward222 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

** EDITED -SPAM **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 4/29/2015 12:41:00 PM.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mifi box to take to spain do they work .? - 0 posts
What do you guys do in Spain? - 28 posts
Rainbows over Andalucia - 0 posts
Weather in January and getting internet - 0 posts
over 50k property in partners non redisent name can it avoid new tax laws? - 10 posts
More no news about Corvera and Paramount - 52 posts
Lawyers - 0 posts
where to buy (Costa Maresme/Brava) - 2 posts
thinking of buying hotel room - 16 posts
What is the average pct for foreigners for new property - 4 posts
NIE Numbers not registered with tax office??? - 0 posts
Tryng To Find Marc Koehler - 0 posts
language - 3 posts
Menara Beach Complex - 2 posts
SIP card and free health care wewe - 4 posts
Pyrenees in the winter - 1 posts
Pay as you go internet in Spain - 4 posts
UK Self Assessment Tax Return - 6 posts
Liverpool to Malaga Flights - 5 posts
Form 210 - instruct bank to pay from current account - 0 posts
tile or not - 8 posts
property in almoradi - 6 posts
Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System - wasting water - 1 posts
Seats on monarch - 2 posts
Increased water prices Hidralia - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x