hearing aids

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Oct 2014 11:40 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, I have noticed that most people tend to wisper to me as I am finding it more difficult to hear what they are saying.

I can only conclude that a hearing aid may well be the answer. Quick research reveals that these items are very expensive and flying back to uk to get a free one is not easy to arrange.

I would welcome recos of suppliers whos charges are reasonable. Fuengirola to Elviria would be good. thanks nic.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2014 7:48 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have  loss of hearing through firearms training, when ear protection was limited to cotton wool.  I get an injury pension for the hearing damage.

Persuaded by the adverts that I could be helped, twelve  years ago I decided to try hearing aids.  I went for an aid at the top end of  the  range.   Each week I returned to have it re-tuned.  But I was still ‘deafened’ by the birds, my car rattling, the wind, background noise, etc.  After several months the shop returned my money as they could not get the aid to work satisfactorily for me.

From my experience, and that of friends, I believe unless one is profoundly deaf ,  as in the case of my mother who's life was improved, don’t waste  your money, 

Like 0      
19 Oct 2014 9:06 AM by poniente5 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I have both private and NHS hearing aids because like you everyone seemed to be whispering. The private in the ear cost £2500 and I have to say have been fantastic the only problem being I get continual infections in the left ear so do not wear one in that ear but have had the right one adjusted so everything is fine. I have had two pairs of NHS ones and they have been awful continual whistling noise in my ears but they are free and I suppose if I keep going back to the clinic they will eventually sort it. I bought batteries for my private one in Spain and they cost 4 times what I paid for them in UK so goodness knows how much the actual hearing aid would cost. I have to say I got to the stage that I had to do something I felt excluded from conversations and watching TV was hard work. Good luck with your search.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2014 9:15 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Poniente         

From what you say (I have to say I got to the stage that I had to do something I felt excluded from conversations and watching TV was hard work) you are quite deaf, not just having problems say in noisy places hearing people.  Hence your result.

The one I tried,  which proved to be useless for me, was just over 2,500 euros

My advice is that if one wants to try one then ensure they get a money back guarantee

Like 1      
20 Oct 2014 8:30 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Guys, Thanks very much for the info. From what you say I should learn to lip read. Nic

Like 1      
21 Oct 2014 6:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lip read:-

I guess that most of us who have hearing problems do to some extent.  If a person is facing me I can 'hear' a lot better than if they turn away,  I also 'hear' English better than Spanish even when the speaker is looking at me. I suspct than my Spanish 'lip reading' is not as good as my English.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MOJACAR MOORS & CHRISTIANS 2015 DATES - 9 posts
installing air conditioning - 0 posts
Dog passporti - 7 posts
House purchase but no escritura! - 10 posts
Motorhome Cover For Sale - 0 posts
Have you had problems getting your deposits back on non completed purchases? - 6 posts
Another U Turn - 0 posts
Driving Theory Exam in Spain (in English) - 5 posts
18 month wait for appeal hearing - 20 posts
What would you sacrifice to speak Spanish like a native?!! - 6 posts
Photographer needed for set of one-off property pics (near Algorfa) - 4 posts
introduction - 11 posts
shipping wine back to Sydney - 6 posts
running a business from your home. - 4 posts
English Car Wanted - 1 posts
You have got laugh - 0 posts
Community Maintenance - 3 posts
Tax relief for property repairs - 1 posts
Leeds Bradford To Murcia No Flights !! - 6 posts
new rules for community pools - 6 posts
Hi, new to this, after some advice!!! Any help much appreciated! - 24 posts
Transparency Period - 2 posts
Dash Cams - 1 posts
Brittany. Ferry Guest Code - 2 posts
Brittany. Ferry Guest Code - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x