heating

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Oct 2014 11:21 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

We don't have central heating, but we have a log burner and push around gas heaters, we are considering putting in a solid fuel range with back boiler to run radiators but that is some way off yet.  I have been reading up on paraffin heaters which I've not seen since I was a child and thought that they were a thing of ancient history,  but I see a lot of spanish houses have them.  Has anyone got experience of using these  and even more important what price is paraffin in spain at the moment. 

Like 0      
07 Oct 2014 4:32 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I would not advise the use of paraffin heaters. They produce condensation and noxious fumes that cause chesty coughs. The not so well off  French use them a lot because the fuel in France is relatively cheap. However if you enter a French home you know immediately they have a paraffn heater inside.

Like 2      
07 Oct 2014 6:59 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Agree with Mickyfinn - your health isn't worth the modest saving.  I reckon most forms of portable heaters have draw backs, except perhaps the oil filled radiator type.

Every year there's usually a few debates on EOS regarding heating.  It depends on your circumstance and lifestyle, but for me a full gas fired system takes some beating.  It's a whole lot simpler and cleaner than log burners - these might be a bit cheaper to run, but when you add on the extra cost of the regular re-decoration costs which become necessary log burners might end up more expensive.

Like 2      
07 Oct 2014 9:08 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

probably oil central heating seems to be the most popular.

Relying on oil filled radiators would be very expensive.

Gas cylinders may make full central heating impractical.

Some say air conditioning   Heating units  are efficient and cost effective, 

Neater heaters are becoming very popular , and are supposed to use less electricity than conventional electric heaters.

Like 2      
08 Oct 2014 7:59 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Thank you for the comments I'm looking into neater heaters at the moment and have emailed the brit lads but now had a reply as yet but I think im going to import an aga type range with a back boiler to run up to 8 rads.....maybe?

Like 0      
08 Oct 2014 1:24 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If you have several neater heaters, make sure the potencia is sufficient , or the electric will keep going off.

Like 2      
08 Oct 2014 3:21 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Hi campasol yes that may be my undoing as my potentcia is only 3.3 now for another brainwave I have seen adverts for pellet burners with back boiler any one tried these and how do pellets come and at what cost. I know I am a bit of a pain but in my very late 50s so only get one chance and want to get it right

Like 0      
08 Oct 2014 7:06 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If you have seen adverts, why not give them a call and ask them?

Like 2      
08 Oct 2014 8:00 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Smart arse I have contacted them but all you get is the bull sh1t I would like to know what real people have experienced

Like 0      
08 Oct 2014 9:00 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No need to be rude!

Like 1      
08 Oct 2014 9:19 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Ha ha I love your posts

Like 0      
10 Oct 2014 3:04 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Over the last few years we have installed a woodburning stove with a back boiler and a 500 litre heat accumulator.  That provides us with domestic hot water and central heating in winter.  This summer we added solar thermal to the system as well so we have plenty of hot water in summer months.  We tried to find a woodburner with a build in back boiler in Spain but at the time couldn't find anything so sourced everything in the UK and transported it out ourselves.  Last winter we found the identical woodburner and boiler in a shop locally so they are now appearing in Spain.

Like 2      
12 Oct 2014 5:58 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Casperruby...

We used to have a log/wood burner (built in as there was a chimney in the finca we rented.) It changed our lives! It heated the bedroom as well as the corner of the living room where it was situated.

We had a 1/2 lorry load of wood delivered at the start of each winter (cost Eu120) and that usually lasted us the winter. (Only once did we have to do a top up when it was particularly wet/cold one year.) 

We are now living in a terraced town house and like most, it has damp issues. We have just bought a pellet burner. (I think it is 6.6kw?) The sacks of pellets (15kg) costs Eu4.50 and I have been told it uses around one a week. The major investment of course is the set up cost. They cost around Eu995, plus tubing and installation (so you could get up to Eu2,000 easily!) We were very lucky to buy a second hand one (used one winter only) for half of original cost.

Will let you know how we get on with it. (The only electricity being used I understand is the timer to drop the pellets that then burn.) Looking forward to less mess/humping big logs! 

(I think if we were here long term/it was our property we might have looked at a back boiler version, but we are only house sitting for the owners.) 

Like 1      
16 Oct 2014 5:49 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Susan, you have posted that you have paid and installed a heating appliance in someone else's property, you have previously posted that you and your partner had recently purchased a village property, I'm very confused.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
24 May 2022 8:54 PM by filonina Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

If I were you, I would not buy them, because their operation is not as reliable and there are few craftsmen who specialize in paraffin heaters. If I were you, I'd leave the old radiators in, but if they ruin the look of your room or apartment and you want to replace them with new ones, then I advise you to look at the range at radiator outlet, they have very interesting options that fit the new interiors well, and not that expensive. Save money at radiator outlet

This message was last edited by filonina on 5/25/2022.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Catalonia Indepence Referendum - 9 posts
BARKING DOGS - 5 posts
Accident in hired car - 18 posts
Pay as you go broadband - 3 posts
Airports - Theme Parks - Now Motorways. - 5 posts
At the point of giving up. - 3 posts
GP IN LOS ALCAZARES? - 5 posts
login problem - 1 posts
Interesting discussions on Law 57/68 - 1 posts
Noisy neighbours - 3 posts
Best beach in murcia - 3 posts
Internet - 0 posts
Catastro, how accurate is it, does it matter? - 2 posts
Electricity in Spain - 6 posts
Passport renewal - 12 posts
Hi, Louise here. Moving to Murcia with mum and kids before Xmas. Would like as much advise as possible. - 10 posts
Trouble sending an enquiry about long term rentals - 6 posts
Reform Respect and upholding the rule of law - 3 posts
Travel: AVE train from Alicante to Madrid - 9 posts
Agency seems to have stolen 900 euros of my money - help/ advice needed!!! - 2 posts
They changed the law overnight and are fining people- that HAS to be illegal right? - 6 posts
Surcharge or Admin Costs? - 3 posts
Raining in murcia ? - 13 posts
Bye bye Ruiz-Gallardon - 2 posts
12 dodgy Spanish menu translations (all genuine!!) - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x