Balconing - Does this get any coverage back in the UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Aug 2013 11:36 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Yet another tourist has died as a result of the highly-dangerous practice of 'balconing', or jumping from hotel balconies into the swimming pool below. This time he was German but just two weeks ago it was a Brit. Every year this happens over and over again and I can't quite understand why it happens so much. I have never heard of a Spaniard doing balconing before. It seems to have become a seasonal stunt with young tourists, mainly Brits, and everyone over here says, "Don't they warn these kids of the dangers back home?" Alcohol seems to affect foreigners in a different way to Spanish kids. The Spanish drink, but Superman Syndrome isn't as common, in fact I have never heard of it. Some might say it is just some silly boy who made a stupid mistake, obviously it is, but it happens every year over and over again. The summer comes and the foreigners start jumping from balconies in the pools. It seems to be becoming a tradition or even an extreme sport...

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 11:50 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Well we don't get 'Balconing' as such and thats only because we don't have many..if any.. hotels overlooking pools, what we have had a lot of lately is the jerks jumping of cliff tops and the edges of quarries to show they can,  and of course into three feet of water can do wonders for the head and neck when you bounce of a rock or the bottom, and the other reason has been to cool off in the recent hot spell, a few have died, even swimming in a lake near a weir has caused a few deaths of late.

Suppose the combination of drink, girls and 'look at me' are the main reasons.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 11:59 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi Baz, I've seen cliff jumpimg or rock jumping quite a lot in Spain but it isn't associated with drinking normally and the accidents tend to happen when people new to the area decide to do it and jump in the wrong place, like when the Americans decide to run Pamplona, a couple get caught every year! But that is drink related!

None the less still very stupid. I think the trend of extreme sports and daredevil acts is becoming quite popular now and as you say "look at me"...

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgages on houses with no licenses - 2 posts
New rules for community of owners.Part II - 11 posts
AGM votes - majority or unamimous - 12 posts
Under age drinking at Condado - 6 posts
New rules for community of owners.Part I - 1 posts
Crowd-funding: a solution for Spanish Entrepreneurs? - 2 posts
registering an english vehicle in spain - 5 posts
Car rental through Do You Spain /Goldcar - 12 posts
Where to live? A few ideas please. - 22 posts
Taxis - 7 posts
Lawyer's Charges - 8 posts
the wonderful Spanish people - 3 posts
Starting a Business: Spain the World's 3rd Worst - 3 posts
Bicycle rack, GPS, and heater for sale - 3 posts
NIE - 5 posts
NIE - 1 posts
Mortgage with Ground Clause - 4 posts
A tale of woe - 4 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - 5 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 6 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 0 posts
Selling Costs - 9 posts
CACI Facials / Beauty therapist Los Alcazares area - 1 posts
Swapping to Spanish licence will I retain my motorycle category? - 2 posts
Starting a new business - need some market research - 52 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x