AGM votes - majority or unamimous

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2013 2:57 PM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

The president of our small Community is proposing to pay himself 500€ pa.  Does it need a unamious or majority vote at the meeting. There are a few against it.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 5:10 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

There is a fair amount of work involved in carrying out the duties of President. If your president is doing a good job and is not taking kick backs from suppliers paying him is not unreasonable.

With regard to your question a majority of those present or represented at the meeting is all that is required for this type of proposal provided the meeting has been properly called and his proposal is on the agenda.

If the majority are in favour but you are concerned you could propose an amendment accepting the proposal provided it is reviewed each year at the AGM.

David

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 9:24 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 115 posts Send private message

Personaly i am in favour of presidents doing the job because they want too.

A small rmuneration to cover expense is fine, but if you pay them too much somebody will come along and do it for the money.

It is a difficult balancing act i would admit.

Also i don't believe a president should be setting his own remuneration.

Just my opinion as a serving president.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 10:02 PM by whatagayday Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

My understanding is that El Presidente cannot receive any remuneration other than expenses we have had 9 presidents and not one of them received a penny outside of expenses as for backhanders I would sack him on the spot if I found this out.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 8:33 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As a principle, being the President is an obligation that you have ( in turns) as owner member of a community of owners.

Said that, if the community agreed so by unanimous consent, there is no legal obstacle for a remuneration.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 8:50 AM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

Thanks for the prompt reply.  There will not be a unamimous vote in favour, so no renumeration, no rise in fees.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 8:50 AM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by knj on 01/08/2013.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2013 9:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It is a pleasure. I love posting on EOS and bringing this simple informatio to you.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Dec 2013 11:31 AM by vistaverde Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

I picked this one up - as it is from earlier in the year - because our president is asking our community to pay him 1200€ per year.

I note in the forum  there is a varioation on opinion eg unanimous or a majority.

I thought that items/costs etc that are vital for security, habitation and other matters vital to the welfare and safely of the community can be passed by a simple majority whilst other lesser vital items need a 3/5 majority and those who objected do not have to pay for this non-vital service/cost.

Any comments would be most helpful - thanks - vista verde

Like 0      
07 Dec 2013 4:07 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

My understanding is that for the president to receive a remunation the vote should be unanimous. Other votes are usually by majority.

Like 0      
26 Apr 2014 6:03 PM by CPR_Condado Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Replace the president with one that's not after money.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2014 10:40 AM by Nostradamus Star rating in Dublin y Catalunya. 26 posts Send private message

I have a guide to community law written by a legal expert  in my Spanish property which states the position almost word for word as stated by Maria in her earlier post-the community may  make an allowance to a President by unanimous consent.

My personal view for what it is worth is that the role of the President  is of such   significance within the community that any change not provided for in relation to his role or functions would appear to be a matter of fundamental importance requiring unanimous consent

This issue is likely to arise from time to time and  hopefully posters will keep us up to date

This message was last edited by Nostradamus on 27/04/2014.

This message was last edited by Nostradamus on 27/04/2014.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2014 10:21 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Unanimous voted are required for changes to the constitution and any other changes are normally by a majority. If the president does get a majority vote then he must declare this as income and be self employed also ensure he is not employed by the community as this may incur more costs for the community

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Under age drinking at Condado - 6 posts
New rules for community of owners.Part I - 1 posts
Crowd-funding: a solution for Spanish Entrepreneurs? - 2 posts
registering an english vehicle in spain - 5 posts
Car rental through Do You Spain /Goldcar - 12 posts
Where to live? A few ideas please. - 22 posts
Taxis - 7 posts
Lawyer's Charges - 8 posts
the wonderful Spanish people - 3 posts
Starting a Business: Spain the World's 3rd Worst - 3 posts
Bicycle rack, GPS, and heater for sale - 3 posts
NIE - 5 posts
NIE - 1 posts
Mortgage with Ground Clause - 4 posts
A tale of woe - 4 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - 5 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 6 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 0 posts
Selling Costs - 9 posts
CACI Facials / Beauty therapist Los Alcazares area - 1 posts
Swapping to Spanish licence will I retain my motorycle category? - 2 posts
Starting a new business - need some market research - 52 posts
President and Administrators - 9 posts
Do you Spain. No free cancellation fees and no email or replys whatsoever - 5 posts
Spain's Tourism is on the rise this year again thanks to British - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x