Golden Retriever to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi,

Anyone taken their pet dog to Spain?

We have a gorgeous Golden Retriever -SAM, and when we intend to stay in Spain for any length of time would really love to take him with us (I miss him so much when on hol !!).

Any advise - airline, costs, etc.  Manchester to Alicante or San Javea.

Cheers

Ellen

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 9:15 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi Ellemum,

I have 2 Cavalier King Charles spaniels and they usually go into kennels when I am away. However I am going to Spain for 2 months later in the year. Having looked at flights and putting them in crates etc I have decided for better or worse, I am going to drive them down so we can all stay together. I hope it all works out ok, but I am a little nervous about it!

Julia

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 9:20 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi Julia,

Yes, we have also considered driving down, but prefer to fly.  I do know that animals are very well cared for on flights and that our dog would be fine.

Hope your trip goes well, please let us know.

Cheers

Ellen

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 7:30 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Jules - I have a friend who husband decided to buy a Dutch barge in France, they regularly drive over in the summer for a couple of weeks at a time.  They inherited his mother's geriatic yorkshire terrier when she went into a nursing home.  He now has a pet passport and joins them on each trip, they use the tunnel as they stay with the dog in the car.  It's cost twice as much as the car to take the dog but they've got it down to a fine art now and even take there own tablets and flea treatment for the vet to use before he stamps the passport.

Going down to Spain you could take your time and stay in motels which allow dogs.  Going back you'll have to plan it carefully so that you can stay somewhere to access a vet in the required time period.

I'm sure that you're not the only one to attempt to do this and on other forums you might find someone to help you with any questions you may have. 

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 9:11 AM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

you make a good point there about planning the return trip

We are planning to take our dogs with us to Spain in the next couple of years when we start going over for longer periods.  We had planned to drive (we are looking at buying a campervan).  One of our dogs is a bit highly strung and i think it would freak if he had to leave us and travel in a crate.  (the other would take it in his stride!)

But i hadnt really thought about the length of the journey back across Spain/France and the fact that we would have to have the passport stamped 24 - 48 hours before passage and that means probably a vet in France rather than our vet in Spain...... thanks for pointing that out .... back to the drawing board!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 1:14 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Thanks Semijubilad for your helpful post. Finding a vet in France in the right timescale is my biggest worry also wondering if the motels which accept dogs are easy to find in France and Spain. If anyone can give any advice it would be gratefully received!

Julia

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 3:48 PM by clairewebster Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

if you drive to santander or bilbao (only 8 hours from murcia) you can get the ferry directly to portsmouth or plymouth.  It makes for a much shorter journey.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 5:53 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

do you know, can you stay with your pets if you take these longer crossings?

thanks

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 6:16 PM by clairewebster Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi sorry i don't know that - it may dedpend on the operating company?

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 6:53 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Auntie Em - The dogs have to stay in special kennels on the ferry and you are allowed to visit at certain times. I discounted this option as it was too expensive!

Julia

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 7:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Em,

look at this http://www.ferryto.co.uk/service/pets.html It says it depends on ferry operator & route. It says the animal may have to stay in your vehicle with no access by you. Not very acceptable on anything other than a short crossing, is it ?

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 7:07 PM by clairewebster Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi

no thats terrible - the ferry we came over on had kennels the company was acciona ferries. just a thought on the price - does the fuel you save and the fact you don't need overnight accommodation on the way not make up for the cost of the pet on the ferry/

This message was last edited by clairewebster on 7/22/2007.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 8:51 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi Claire, no it is still much more expensive a least with Brittany ferries and there is still over 7 hours driving.

However if I was to leave the dogs at home, it would be even more expensive than any other option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 8:58 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

Thanks for the link morerosado and info jules and clare,

There is so much to consider when taking pets back and forth but i couldnt leave them for longer than a week or two, and Alfie is so attached to Ken that i think he would fade away!  Hamish would be attached to whoever feeds him!

I will have to look at all the options and once i have tried it out i will make sure that i share my experiences

thanks all

Em x

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 10:11 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,  Forgive me for bumping this message up, I sincerely appreciate all the advice given about taking pets to Spain via ferry and overland and may use this method - good point about the 24 -48 hours bit, didnt occur to me about that. 

Just wondered if anyone has or does take their dog over for longer hols.  At the airports, I have seen folk with dogs going back and forth, but never had the opportunity to ask them.

Hope you dont mind me asking this again.

Anyone taken their pet dog to Spain?

We have a gorgeous Golden Retriever -SAM, and when we intend to stay in Spain for any length of time would really love to take him with us (I miss him so much when on hol !!).

Any advise - airline, costs, etc.  Manchester to Alicante or San Javea.

Cheers

Ellen

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 5:16 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've also noticed lots of dogs with their owners walking to the gates plane side.

I may be wrong but I think they are either going to another airport in Spain or perhaps Germany.

Never seen anyone boarding a UK plane with a dog.

I have seen someone airport side putting the dog into a grate around the area where you scan large articules at Alicante airport.

Does make you curious, I remember watching a homes abroad programme once and the girlfriend of the London nightclub owner (Peter Stringfellow) took her Chihua (wrong spelling) with her on the plane and it sat on her lap.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 5:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Aren't the dogs going to be put in the hold in a special area though, they're not travelling with their owners in the cabin.  I've looked into taking a cat over.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/26/2008.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2008 6:22 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Maybe they are, it looks strange to see them Airside.  As we normally travel home late on a Sunday evening them perhaps they have been away for the weekend or week and they are travelling home.

Some of the dogs are medium sized as well not all are what could be classed as lapdogs.

Well I've finally reached a milestone, 200 eh!

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 12:05 AM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi everyone,

I took my two dogs over to Spain for 2 months from September - November last year. It was their first time travelling such a long distance, I opted to go through the channel tunnel as I could not bear the thought of them in the hold on the plane or on such a long ferry crossing. It was also the first time I had driven a British car abroad before and believe me, I was really nervous about it before I went. However I can reassure anyone thinking of doing this, it was really worthwhile and I will be doing it again this year. The dogs loved the experience and were brilliant both on the journey and in Spain.

The cost of a return journey through the tunnel for 2 adults and two dogs was £265, which I thought was reasonable, especially when you compare it to what the french vet I got to do the necessary treatment on the dogs (1 worming tablet and a spray with frontline, plus a signature in their passports) charged for the eqivalent of £100. I will try a different vet next time to compare prices!

Like you Auntie Em I couldn't leave them for longer than a week in my case. But now I know how easy it is, I will be able to go when I want. Next time I think I will only book one way and then if I want to stay longer I can and only book to come back when I want to, or when the money runs out!

Hope this is helpful.

Julia

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 12:40 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like you Auntie Em I couldn't leave them for longer than a week in my case

Want to rephrase that, Julia ?  Sounds like Millie & Shannon were kept in a suitcase for a week.

Thought you were going to take some photos of them both & let me make you an avatar ?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Last 20 messages posted? - 2 posts
Congrats to Auntie Em 100th post - 31 posts
dream hills anybody there - 6 posts
Recommended by member JC1 ( Good Shout ) - 2 posts
Power of Attorney - 7 posts
Costa Del sol - 30 posts
spiderbish - 2 posts
Anyone involved with Hacienda Guadalupe ? - 7 posts
la hague apostille - 16 posts
Performance Car Clubs / Driving Days ? - 0 posts
Organic Food - 0 posts
Filling out application forms - 9 posts
Support for our injured troops - 4 posts
Bucket help. - 66 posts
WIFI - 1 posts
where to buy good quality furniture - 7 posts
Valle del Sol, Carcer - 3 posts
Jaen's restaurant, Guardamar town centre, CB - 33 posts
cleaning - 0 posts
La Recoleta, EGM - 2 posts
Long term rental Northern Costa Blanca? - 0 posts
Site visit today 18th January - 13 posts
Cash prize on new price comparison site - 6 posts
I've a very happy hubby tonight. - 3 posts
REBNY or MLS - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x