Is Corvera airport now dead in the water?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2013 9:58 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Just read this article in murciatoday

http://www.murciatoday.com/corvera-airport-in-crisis_16116-a.html
Does this mean that Corvera is dead in the water and that San Javier airport will remain open?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 8:44 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi steone, it's difficult to know what will happen to Corvera Airport. As it says in the article it was completed 15 months ago.

All the initial reasons for not opening it have been overcome, except the payment of 70,000,000 euros to AENA which they have spent refurbishing it.  It's difficult to understand why they did this knowing that Corvera was supposedly due to open anytime. 

Two weeks ago when we flew back from San Javier, they were selling all the stuff off in the duty free shop. Does anyone have an answers why this was happening?  I believe I read somewhere last year that the duty free shop had just had it's trading licence/permit renewed.

I could have just imagined it but there seemed to be a lot of seats missing or maybe they have just spread them out as the departure lounge has grown considerably.

Maybe someone can throw some more light on this situation.

Geoff 

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:23 AM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

It appears that the backers have withdrawn as its not a viaible proposition with San Javier operating .The ordinary people might have thought they would have sorted this out at the time they built it but apparently not .I also understand that the landing fees  at  Corvera are prohibitive .

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 10:40 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

what are the landing fees at corvera, is there a list somewhere?

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 11:32 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi gaula, I don't understand what you mean about the backers have pulled out because of San Javier operating. It has been reported many times that San Javier would have to close and surely these backers/investors would know this.

Also as andyintorre asks, where does it say about the landing fees?

Geoff

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 1:50 PM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

Apparently the closure of San javier is not happening now ...... change of plan from regional government .

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 2:09 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Steone started this thread with the latest news and analysis - follow the link he supplied and you will see that absolutely nothing has changed - so nothing decided.   It is looking less likely than ever that the airport will open in my opinion, but there has not been any movement.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2013 3:50 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

If I could put it in a nutshell the position so far as reported in various newspapers is:-

1) When Corvera was first thought about it was to run in tandem with MJV

2) Corvera is PRIVATE,       MJV is State owned

3) In 2010 the Mayor of Murcia must have known about the drastic fall in footfall at MJV but still went ahead and lumbered the taxpayers of Murcia with a €200 million debt.... to fund a PRIVATE airport! (Surely this is against E.U. rules of State funding a Private business)

4) Now that Corvera is bankrupt they are insisting that a State owned airport must close so that a private airport can open.

5) AENA have agreed to close MJV.... SO LONG AS CORVERA PAYS THEM €80 MILLION approx. for the monies spent,

6) At the end of 2012 AENA granted 20 year licences for 'shops' at MJV

7) Car parking is out to tender for a 5 year licence at MJV.

Heads at Murcia should roll but this being Spain a shrug of the shoulders will surfice!!!!!

Like 0      
23 Apr 2013 12:11 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

I've read many press reports about Corvera and I will eat my laptop if that airport ever does get used for commercial activities.

There was no need for it in the first place, it's a private venture and it seems totally unlikely that San Javier will ever close because of Corvera.

There are 4 or 5 airports in a similar situation in Spain and they are all now just white elephants.

It's just another legacy of a time when there was way more money than sense in Spain.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
23 Apr 2013 7:52 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I could not agree more Justin other than the last sentence.

They thought there was more money than sense but this has now proved to be an illusion in all senses.
Paying for all of Spain's follies is going to be a drain on future generations for a long time to come.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2013 7:52 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I could not agree more Justin other than the last sentence.

They thought there was more money than sense but this has now proved to be an illusion in all senses.
Paying for all of Spain's follies is going to be a drain on future generations for a long time to come.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Retail Knowledge - 0 posts
Internet help please. - 0 posts
Illegal to rent out? - 26 posts
Can anyone recommend a good Gestor in Torrox Costa area ? - 2 posts
CAMPOSOL new ownership ( formerly Gateway to India ) SPICE VILLA CAMPOSOL - 3 posts
I have bought a LHD Spanish Registered Car in the UK is it really that difficult to transfer into my name - 22 posts
Abortion reform in Spain : Madness! - 33 posts
Change of address - 5 posts
Expat Solutions - 19 posts
retail shop rental for florist business. - 12 posts
Will a cheap airline fly to cordoba? - 2 posts
hello - 21 posts
uk / spain - 0 posts
3G in Spain - 2 posts
New and seeking guidance - 10 posts
Medical insurance - 11 posts
Need a recommendation for a good restaurant in Malaga old town. - 3 posts
Does this happen to others ???? - 1 posts
Where to buy sewing machines? - 4 posts
EGM's - 6 posts
What is going on with card sharing? - 0 posts
New photos loaded on Camposol Community Forum Page - 3 posts
Neighbour from hell - 13 posts
Insolvency - 6 posts
upto date advice if poss please - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x