Advice sought regarding the transfer of a vehicle in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2013 3:50 PM by Doraemon72 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Many thanks for reading!

I just wanted to ask a question which relates to the transferring of ownership of a Ford Focus (British-bought, RHD, but with Spanish number plates and registered in Spain) which was my late father’s, but which, now that probate in Spain has just completed, is now in my mother’s name.

Essentially, a good friend of my late Dad has offered to buy the car at a mutually agreeable price. The friend also has previous experience of buying/selling cars in Spain. Additionally, he is a very reliable guy, and has proven himself to know a lot about Spanish bureaucracy, et al., over the years. Furthermore, he is already in receipt of all pertinent Spanish documents in relation to the Focus. Nonetheless, my main concern is this:

Without upsetting the apple-cart with the friend, how could I ensure that all the various transfer paperwork is completed in good order so as to avoid a future situation where, because the transfer paperwork wasn’t completed correctly in the eyes of the Spanish motoring authorities, these same authorities then come after my mother at some point in the future over parking fines, penalties, etc., which the new owner (the friend) may have racked up since purchasing the car from us?

To be blunt, I am quite ignorant of the hoops which need to be jumped through to officially complete a vehicle transfer in Spain and, perhaps more worryingly, I have been advised by several other Brits living in Spain that I’d be better off having a solicitor or ‘gestoria’ do everything (rather than solely leaving the transfer to the friend) because one false move could be a nightmare to resolve in the future. The problem is, though, the friend has already begun the paperwork.

At the end of the day, after such a massive trauma of losing a family member I am really just trying to avoid any future unpleasantries for my mother in connection with Spain (whilst, of course, not casting any aspersions about the family friend, as he really is a sound guy).

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

All the best and again, many thanks for reading.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 4:51 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

if you can afford it get a Gestor to do it....i have just done a transfer....took all paperwork to the gestor in the morning....got all papewrwork in my name in the afternoon....no stress,hassle,worry.Peace of mind.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 6:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

About 12 years ago, I sold a motorcycle to young Spaniard.

He asked if I would go with him to do the transfer.  Well of course.

We met early one morning.  I thought it would take hour or so and it would be an early coffee.

After several hours, several queues, several departments,  filled in a number of forms, paid various fees,  and on and on,

After that, I knew that when I was involved in a transfer in the future I would follow Georgia's advice. 

Go to a Gestor !

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 8:01 PM by Doraemon72 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

John/Georgia,

Thank you for your advice -- it is greatly appreciated!

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 7:26 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

There is alot said on here about taking a UK registered car to Spain. the following is taken from the UK Gov. website and should help.

Importing your UK-registered vehicle from the UK to Spain

If you spend longer than six months of the year in Spain with your UK-registered car, Spanish law says you must register your vehicle with the Spanish authorities. For information on how to do this (including how to change your licence plate) consult theDirección General de Trafico . The RACE (Real Automóvil Club de España) also provides useful guidance about all aspects of importing your vehicle.

Please note that it is unlikely that you will be able to register right- hand drive vehicles such as vans and commercial vehicles.

UK-registered vehicles being driven in Spain must comply with all UK requirements for road tax, M.O.T. and third party insurance covering the full time period the vehicle is used in Spain, up to the six- month limit.

Vehicle import axes

Payment of the following taxes (or acquisition of the relevant exemption certificate[s]) is required by the Dirección General de Tráfico when importing and registering your UK vehicle.

• a registration tax (or certificate of exemption) - Impuesto de matriculación. Please see the Agencia Tributaria website for more details
  • a road/traffic tax (or certifícate of exemption) - impuesto de circulación del ayuntamiento. Contact your local town hall for details
  • V.A.T. (or certificate of exemption) – IVA. Please see the Agencia Tributaria websitefor more details.

Depending on your circumstances you may be exempt from one or more of these taxes. If required, you can obtain a residency transfer certificate (un certificado de baja consular) from your local British consulate.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 7:56 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just for info.

A person who is resident in Spain (registered on the EU Citizen's Register) can only drive a non Spanish Reg vehicle in exceptional circumstances)

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 8:58 PM by Doraemon72 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks once again, John, and also to you Mo, for the advice. It's much appreciated! 

Best wishes

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 9:13 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

johnzx ;

"Just for info.

A person who is resident in Spain (registered on the EU Citizen's Register) can only drive a non Spanish Reg vehicle in exceptional circumstances)"

just an addition;

He can drive any foreign registered vehicle as long as he wants as long as he DOES not own it. It is only if you own it that is illegal.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

mooring in Lo Pagan,Mar Menor,Murcia. - 1 posts
Solar tank - 6 posts
Swimming Pool Filter - 0 posts
Looking for a Shih Tzu - 3 posts
11 month rental contract - 13 posts
Royal British Legion - 0 posts
Mungry Out - 5 posts
Iberdrola excessive charge - 10 posts
swede trying to locate property in spain, will pay for help - 5 posts
What do I need to know about living in Spain? - 8 posts
Property swaps - 3 posts
VPO problem - can anyone advise please? - 2 posts
Affordable housing - 0 posts
Van hire - 5 posts
Are there any shops in Lo Crispin? - 1 posts
Real Estate Agents - 12 posts
Amenities in Lo Crispin - 7 posts
Doors and door frames - 30 posts
Where Are All The Rental Properties ? - 4 posts
applying for residencia - 2 posts
Share the Load from Spain to the UK Please? - 0 posts
Help Worldwide Asset Disclosure - 0 posts
QNUPS - 5 posts
Costa Del Sol Action Group - 6 posts
Motorcycle licence - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x