Has anyone got experience of collecting a dog from Madrid airport?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2013 9:58 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi all,

We're having a puppy sent over from the Czech Repulic in a couple of weeks. The pup will be arriving into Madrid airport.

Does anyone have any actual exepriece of where to go within the airport to collect it? It's coming by special freight i think and not a passenger jet - but could be wrong on that and am busy checking all that out.

I realize i can just go to information at the airport, but if anyone's got any first hand tips on the do's and don't I'd appreciate hearing them.

Regards, Carl

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 10:36 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

It will depend on the airline. Find out who is their freight agent. I haven't picked up dogs from Madrid, but I have from other airports. The freight agents are often at remote corners of the airfield - where they have warehouses. I found that the last people to ask were those in the airline terminal buildings, as they have no knowledge of freight handling, and will send you from pillar to post. 

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 11:27 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Do you have a flight number? Or details of which airline will be carrying the pup?

With a bit more info I can possiblyy help...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 11:41 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Thanks Foxbat, we're still working on this information.

I don't think the brreder has actually booked the flight as yet, but she is liaising with the carrier so we shoudl at least be able to work out who is bringing it.

Are you connected with general animal import to Madrid? Just curious hence my question.

GUY, I've also sent you a PM.

Many thanks for your help both of you.

Regards, Carl

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 12:13 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

carl9 quote... Are you connected with general animal import to Madrid?

Fraid not, but I am in contact with a number of Animal rescue organisations that routinely use Barajas.

Here is a link to a map for the location of the Terminal de Carga at Barajas where I believe all incoming livestock is directed.

Click on 'Carga' in the left hand window then the two drop down options that appear. You can then use Google maps directly to find a suitable route. The Cargo terminal lies to the South of Terminal 1.

Hope this helps but as I said you will need the Airline and Flight number to be sure of the exact procedure. If the airline is CSA then ground handling is carried out by Flightcare. If its Iberia then Iberia do their own...

I will ask the question on some of the other forums and talk to the Animal welfare organisations and see what I can find out...

fb

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 12:33 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Great, thanks Foxbat - if I get any further info on the freight company - airline etc I'll let you know.

Regards, Carl

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 12:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Carl... where are you based in Spain?

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 2:50 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi, we are based in Murcia but the pup is being delivered to Madrid.

Carl

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 11:51 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Due to the strike from Iberia we're having problems getting the dog to us on the 4th. Even though I don't think Iberia are even striking on the 4th.

The breeder seems to think that all animals have to go to Madrid - as we suggested she looked at Barcelona as an alternative arrivla airport and she thinks this isn't allowed.

Does anyone have any first hand experience fo bringing a dog from within the EU into an airport other than Madrid

Regards, Carl

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 12:57 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

This from the EU website concerning airports and ports of entry...

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/pointsentry_en.htm

The link derived from the IATA website, the governing body of the International Air transport Association.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live-animals/pets/Pages/index.aspx

If you select Spain from the menu list at the LHS of the page, a pdf document will apeear that seems to indicate that for animals entering from other EU countries, Madrid, Barcelona and just about every other commercial airport in Spain is acceptable as a port of entry...

I have raised your question on a couple of other forums and a recurrent theme of the replies seems to be beware of scams... 'breeders' taking your money and failing to produce the goods I'm not for one minute suggesting that this could be a problem in your case but you should definitely be aware tyhat the problem exists. Especially if you encounter continuous delays... Don't shoot the messenger... just sayin'!

fb

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 2:49 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi foxbat, thanks for that. Yes we are of course cautious about dodgy breeders, but we hav ea copy of the pet passport and the rabies jabs etc and all looks to be in order. She seems a reputable breeder and others we know, know of her.

Thanks again, Carl

Like 0      
03 Aug 2016 6:55 PM by marieann Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi. Did you manage to collect your dog from Barrajas Madrid? We are trying to get a pup from Santa Cruz La Palma to Madrid and are having so much trouble. We have got an agency to send it to Madrid but he says we need another agent here to do the import papers. Cant find any agencies and need to get the dog here very quickly. Thanks

Like 0      
04 Aug 2016 8:01 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi, yes it all went surprisingly well. We had to pay from memory about €350 I think to get her and take your passport as you have to go airside to collect. Hope all goes well for you. It's a bit stressful for pup and owner but worth it once you have your pup in your arms.

regards, Carl

Like 0      
04 Aug 2016 9:02 AM by marieann Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you so much for replying.  I am a nervous wreck worrying about this.  We have a pup in La Palma Canaries and my husbands mother who is 95 years old keeps going down to see him and we are afraid she will fall so we want the pup here asap.  I have an agent sending it from there but dont know who the heck to contact in Madrid.  No-one seems to know anything about where to collect him from.  Regards Marie

Like 0      
04 Aug 2016 6:52 PM by julianpray Star rating in Middx. & La Isla, Bl.... 93 posts Send private message

julianpray´s avatar

Hi... Just FYI I'm in the air cargo business so the following is not just a working man's thoughts..  I'm presuming that the freight agent in La Palma is going to consign the freight (pup) to yourself rather than another agent in Madrid on the master airwaybill. That being the case they can scan you a copy of that waybill as soon as they raise it. Once on hand you can then call the relevant airline's cargo department or handling agent in MAD, pre-alert them and line up the process in advance of arrival and supply any documents etc they may need rather than wait for things to take their usual course which even with livestock isn't the quickest in airports like MAD.

Just make sure that when you call you emphasise that you need to speak with someone who handles livestock, not just everyday freight.

Good luck.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying in Malaga district - 1 posts
LiJohn - 2 posts
points on driving licence - 7 posts
Phone contracts ...ufff - 0 posts
Moving to Malaga area in 10 weeks with dogs - 5 posts
Wanted - LT rental Playa Blanca Lanzarote - 0 posts
TV on the coast - 4 posts
Hello Canary Living - 5 posts
San Javier Jazz Festival 2013 - 3 posts
The Spanish people made a stand ...and were counted - 1 posts
New Permanent residence card - 2 posts
Next Pope could be Spanish.... - 2 posts
Advice on trees required, false pepper, mediterannean pine - 3 posts
What are your main concerns when looking for property in Spain? - 35 posts
Murcia San Javier Airport, nice but lacks public transport..? - 6 posts
Data Protection Laws - 6 posts
Endesa Billing Problem - 7 posts
Please Vote for Tamara's Blog! - 24 posts
**** New Property Developer - 11 posts
Bikes for sale - 1 posts
Help.. School advise in Manilva - 4 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Car Hire .. how do you get the best deal ? - 0 posts
Self employment in Spain - 2 posts
Best Sausages in Spain ?? . It could be... Camposol Butcher shop ...Sector A - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x