If Britain leaves the EU , how will it effect you?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2013 3:24 PM by gerryinalbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

gerryinalbany´s avatar

I was thinking about this subject lately after reading the British papers about a proposed referendum on EU membership. as an American it shouldn't effect me at all ,except I think the Euro would drop in value (good thing for me) because tho the Uk  did not join in the common currency experiment their economy is tied to the EU in many ways. So would this change be positive for you or negative? Sorry if I sound naive because I am.

This message was last edited by gerryinalbany on 02/02/2013.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 4:05 PM by nicw Star rating. 87 posts Send private message

I think it would affect you - not effect you.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 4:32 PM by gerryinalbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

gerryinalbany´s avatar

Really thats the best you can do? Actually I was going to comment on the usage of "affect ' as a verb or a noun and the usage of 'effect' as a verb or a noun, but whats the point? It's not the topic and it's not constructive.

Just a really  big thanks  to you for being  such a sweetheart

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 5:06 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I honestly believe that concerning England leaving the EU not one person in the UK knows what would happen if we left, the ministers dont because they didn't know what would happen when we joined.  We have been in it for so long now and have years yet to go, albeit not 100%, many of the so called stupid rules and laws that get blamed on the EU would still be around, because most of our ministers think they are great rules and laws so they must stay.

Immigration is the hot potato right now, leave the EU and we could stop it overnight has been said, never in a thousand years, all of parliament knows it's wrong, always have done and still have done nothing about it for years.  it's not an EU rule that we have to take them.

I dont know how many EU English MP's sit in Brussels, but try and stop the gravy train for them and you would get World War 3

So many items to talk about, but i think if we left very little in reality would change, and lets not forget that Cameron only said a referendum on leaving the EU in five years time, if he gets in again.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 5:13 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

It's hard to say how it would effect or even affect UK nationals if we escaped from the EU as it would depend on the terms we left on. If we had the same status a Norway and Switzerland I think we'd still be able move around Europe as we do now but if we didn't have this status we'd be treated as other non EU nationals are and maybe even require visa's, it could possibly make it more difficult for people who work in the EU and anyone claiming benefits ........Who know's and he's not telling, any predicitons now would be pure guesswork with no foundations.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 5:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well perhaps UK could leave and come an agreement on free trade with the EU countries.   

Oh, yes I remember now, that was what we voted for in the first place, before they moved the goal posts towards a United States of Europe !!!

1975: UK embraces Europe in referendum
British voters have backed the UK's continued membership of the European Economic Community by a large majority in the country's first (and last)  nationwide referendum.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2013 11:40 PM by paulv Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

UK leaving EU:

It's a referendum designed to appease all those in Middle England and in poorer areas who don't want a foreigner living next door to them (no comment but the Spanish don't seem too pleased to live near us). So, socially, opting out would see a reduction in immigrants. But the entire world is going the other way on this issue, with passports becoming meaningless, and fewer foreigners would inflate wage costs and leave a huge hole in the employment market (at the menial job level).

But, in every other way, leaving completely with no concessions would be an economic disaster and this is why the outcome will be to 'stay in'. The media will try to offer a balanced view weeks before the vote, but they'll fail because they know a negative result would set us back decades. The news channels will have huge influence on people's votes lets be frank. The US will give stern warnings to stay in and if we pull out our leverage power (manufactrg/exports etc) will weaken greatly, especially with China and India set to rise as power houses.

In short, it's a Cameron charm offensive/gesture which will return a 'stay in' vote anyway, costing us all millions in the process.

I agree with the speedy trains project though..:)

Like 1      
06 Feb 2013 10:32 AM by omarell Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

I am on the verge of taking up permanent residence in Spain. I would consider becoming a Spanish Citizen should Gb leave the EU

Like 0      
06 Feb 2013 10:41 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Omarell   I am on the verge of taking up permanent residence in Spain. I would consider becoming a Spanish Citizen should the UK leave the EU

I am not sure if that was tongue in cheek, but if serious, although people from former Spanish colonies can apply for Nationality after two years of arriving in Spain,  others need to have been in Spain for 10 years before they can apply.

My wife has been in the 'application system' now for more than three years.   So don’t hold your breath of you do apply.

Mind you,  if UK did leave the UK all British National would have to apply for Residencia (the real thing not the EU Citizen Registration as now) as we would be from outside the EU, but that would mean we would at least have a plastic ID card again.

Although in  my case,  I applied for Irish Nationality last year, (now have dual)  so I would still be an EU citizen.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/02/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lost Property Deposit In Spain Community - 2 posts
Mar Menor 2 Apartments murcia - 1 posts
Legal status of a park or static home - 0 posts
Anyone using Spantel? Please check your bills - 19 posts
Is the Spanish Government on the verge of collapse? - 23 posts
Girasol Homes - Condado de Alhama - 3 posts
Where's Gerryuk? - 2 posts
Vetting a Lawyer - 2 posts
Adsense help me set it up ! - 2 posts
Definitive guide to rules governing swimming pools in Communities. - 6 posts
Legal tip 896. New! Bank condemned to pay by Law 57/68 in Herrada del Tollo case - 15 posts
Bank Settling in Eurohouse/San Antonio- Fortuna case - 0 posts
Have you noticed people have woken up? - 55 posts
Legalities of a small boat and a small fishing net - 7 posts
Legalities for handing back properties in Spain 2013 - 10 posts
Looking for villa to rent - 0 posts
Excellent one owner car for sale. - 0 posts
Minimum Value Letter Received Today - Any Advice? - 25 posts
how to post our website info here ? - 2 posts
Buying in Estepona - 16 posts
Am I being thick ? Help with Blog please ! - 4 posts
coin operated electricity meters in Mallorca ? - 2 posts
Towns inland an hour from Malaga ideas please! - 1 posts
so confused about healthcare & prescriptions for non-pensioners - 28 posts
San Jose/HDT court action/Guadalupe - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x