Legalities for handing back properties in Spain 2013

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2013 10:15 PM by Lisette25 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, my Mother and I purchase a property some 7 years ago almost, I lived in Spain for a while but returned to UK after a great job offer.  We now want to sell the property but know it will be very hard, there is approx 30-50k profit in the property currently.

We are stuggling to make the high repayments, 3 times what we first were paying and both have UK properties with mortgages on, what would happen if we just stopped paying and sent keys back to bank legally?

We have tried to contact the bank, who simply say we do not want your property back, or ignore all emails, we have not had a response now for many months, any help is useful as we cannot continue to pay for much longer

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 8:25 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

you cant send the keys back without an agreement from the bank.

you will still be reponsible for the payments and rember the banks have all the time in the world to persue you.

but i am not a lawyer or anything. just someone who likes to give opinion.

Maybe if you tel us more about it.

What dd you pay for it?

how much is the mortgage?

how much do you owe on it?

how much cash did you put into it?

what is the current price of propertys sellign round it?

someone may take over your mortgage if all is good because people are looking for opportunity and this wayyou get to walk away from the debt.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 9:33 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

You have answered your own question really, you say you have about 30-50k profit in your property and are struggling with the monthly payments. Could you drop the price of the house by the profit you have, hopefully sell it because it's so much cheaper then, pay of the outstanding balance, then every monthly payment saved is profit.

The estate agent who sold my house in Nov 2012 told me...and i believe her...all her staff, and her, are buying up houses rather then keeping money in the bank, short term it is a problem, but as we all know life tends to go in a circle.

Back a few years i knew quite a few who just handed back the keys and the banks took them with joy because they sold them on at a profit, then the house problem started in Spain and everyone thought they would hand them back, and now the banks cant sell them either.

I bet the banks get a good few hundred asking to hand back the keys every week now.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 1:13 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A new Law is coming where Banks need to accept your offers at much more favourable conditions for the mortgage holder.

Legal tip 892. Dation and balance VII . Out of Court sales-auctions 
25 January 2013 @ 12:44 

Government will finish in coming days a substantial reform of mortgage market in order to protect borrowers from the wave of foreclosures of last years.

The idea is "to improve the position of the debtor", dramatically lowering interest for late payment of mortgages on first residences, which may not exceed the legal interest (now at 4%) plus a surcharge of two points percentage. That is, at most 6%, compared to the average 20% that is being currently charged.  There will also be time limit as interest will be guaranteed with the house just for three years (against current five years).

This change has been encouraged by 47 dean judges in Spain

In addition, the proposal currently includes provision 115 or Mortgage Act to be suppressed:  legal right of the mortgagee to require the extension of the mortgage to debtor in order to secure interest due and unpaid.

The proposal also includes an out of Court procedure for the sale of the propertywhen the debtor defaulted mortgage.

How? At any time prior to the conclusion of the auction, the debtor may bring a buyer to Court paying at least the 70% of the appraised value for auction of the property.Once the Bank is notified, this will have "a period of 20 days to either bring a buyer paying a higher amount or repossessing the estate at that price putting an end to the procedure” Auction valuation presented by the debtor prevails over that made by the Bank.

Doors opened for the debtor to sell the house he cannot keep paying: this way, a private sale or private auction is possible. Anyone paying 70% of this valuation needs to be accepted by the Bank.

Previous posts on dation:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/8218/legal-tip-849--dation-and-balance-vi-a-claim-by-judges-association.aspx 

Nunca pares

"Nunca pares", Port of Barcelona, North-east of Spain, by Reina Cañi, at flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 7:00 PM by Lisette25 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks all for your comments, will try again to get in touch with the bank, they just seem to ignore our emails or calls, as we are both in UK now very hard to make contact with them, we may have to go over and visit I guess soon to sort it out

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 7:08 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You may need the help of a lawyer

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 7:12 PM by Lisette25 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I am sure we will, just finding the extra money to pay a lawyer is even more difficult currently, am I right in thinking if we find a suitable buyer that is willing to pay 70% of the current market value, the bank may agree to transfer the mortgage to them? (we are not clear what the market value is currently though, or the taxes involved in selling a property in Spain)

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 7:28 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

You say (we are not clear what the market value is currently though, or the taxes involved in selling a property)  yet you say  there is approx 30-50k profit in the property currently  ????

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 7:30 PM by Lisette25 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Yes this is just an estimation, based on what other properties are being marketed at in that area, it was previously valued at a lot more obviously, this is the min we would expect to have as equity/sell the property for (if we had a buyer which is the hard bit of course) thanks

Oh an have been told various amounts for taxes when not repurchasing in Spain, so we need to have this amount confirmed, believe is a percentage of the value or profit made (which will be no profit the way it looks, if we manage to sell) if you know what the selling fees would be do share please

This message was last edited by Lisette25 on 31/01/2013.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 10:18 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

the propertys being marketed or sold?

there is a large gap between the two

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 11:16 PM by Lisette25 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Unsure as we do not live there, so only research currently is on internet, so can only look at what other people are marketing their properties for and what agents "claim" they have sold for, but then this is not confirmed

Really need info on selling taxes and fees now thanks, if you can help with this

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for villa to rent - 0 posts
Excellent one owner car for sale. - 0 posts
Minimum Value Letter Received Today - Any Advice? - 25 posts
how to post our website info here ? - 2 posts
Buying in Estepona - 16 posts
Am I being thick ? Help with Blog please ! - 4 posts
coin operated electricity meters in Mallorca ? - 2 posts
Towns inland an hour from Malaga ideas please! - 1 posts
so confused about healthcare & prescriptions for non-pensioners - 28 posts
San Jose/HDT court action/Guadalupe - 4 posts
Improvement for the reception of UK Sky channels in Spain - 5 posts
proxy vote's - 4 posts
euros - 8 posts
Estate agents in El Campello - 0 posts
Legal tip 894. Creative legal solutions for property in Spain - 0 posts
assetts outside spain - 2 posts
IVA and Bank Guarantee Refunds - 3 posts
Mobilehome park in doñana huelva - 0 posts
Experienced Advice - 1 posts
Do i realy nead a solicitor, when selling - 16 posts
Dation and balance VII. Out of Court sales-auctions - 0 posts
Finally Moving to Spain - 9 posts
Prescription charges - 3 posts
Bank sales, repossessions. - 4 posts
TomTom Start 60 with free lifetime maps - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x