Hertz Hire Car Charges For Full Tank?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2013 3:11 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

We're flying with Ryanair to Zaragoza this year and we want to hire a car with them...ie: with Hertz.  They say we have to pay for a full tank of fuel (I assume this will be when we arrive to collect the car as it isn't included with the price given) and they say this will be at the price of fuel at the time.  We've read the stories about being overcharged for fuel through this type of scheme.  Has anyone used Hertz through Ryan Air? Are their full tank of fuel charges reasonable? 

We were going to take our own car on Brittany Ferries but the cost of the ferry works out at over £200 more than flying with Ryan Air and hiring a car for two weeks!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 3:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have not hired a car for some time, but it was always that one collected the car full and ether returned it full or paid for the amount of fuel required to top it up.

I remember a couple of times being present when people have been returning a hire car that the staff and suggested that the hirer goes and fills up at a nearby garage as the fuel there was much cheaper than the hire company charged.

Have things changed ?

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 5:15 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hired a Hertz car on Friday, the tank was full and we were advised to return it full which we did. My experience is that if you don't return it full you not only pay higher prices for the fuel but also a fee for them having to do it. If you have paid for a full tank in advance or on collection then you usually return it empty but that deal is not usual with Hertz.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 8:13 PM by Vagabond Star rating. 54 posts Send private message

This topic has been discussed in some detail on a previous thread.

My experience has been in recent years that it is very difficult  to hire a car on a full/full basis unless the hire is 3 days or less.

In the small print you will usually find a full tank of fuel always includes a admin charge.

For example my last hire for a 1.2 litre engine car, the fuel cost was Euros 77.85 + 21% VAT. In reality if you tried to put this much fuel into the tank it would overflow !!

If Hertz are offering a full/full option this must be one of very few.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Building a swimming pool advice - 5 posts
Hello, calling from Bulgaria. - 0 posts
Two Spaniards Self-Immolate Due To Financial Problems - 5 posts
Taking "embargos" from bank accounts - 4 posts
Non Residence tax Fiscal - 2 posts
Properties for sale? - 2 posts
Want extra satellite channels for Free? Gold, Dave, Alibi - 0 posts
Macias legal - Still in business? - 0 posts
housing price news spells disaster in sunbelt!! - 12 posts
What has happened to the " Reporting assets outside of Spain" thread? - 11 posts
Algorfa - detached villa - absolute buy? - 19 posts
Points on my new driving licence? - 10 posts
Latest news out of Spain - government has spent 90% of pension fund! - 3 posts
Local Charity in Huelva - 0 posts
Having your first argument in Spanish - 1 posts
Hi everyone! - 1 posts
Triumph Vitesse Convertable for sale - 1 posts
Wanted French speaking home help - 3 posts
The Government wants help with Red-Tape Reform! - 49 posts
Campo/Pueblo/Urbanisation? - 5 posts
Resident Non EU citizens travelling outside Spain - 2 posts
New Here - 0 posts
Hi there!!! - 2 posts
Buying a car - 0 posts
Vueling does anyone have experience of using this airline - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x