From the USA, want to buy a car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2012 11:27 PM by wiz Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

My wife and I are both retired and want to spend 4 months at our house in Spain.  We have always rented a car in the past for 2 weeks to one month but the cost for 4 months is prohibitive.  We come every year and I think buying a used car and paying for for Spanish insurance may be less expensive in the long run.  I do not come from an EU member country so the rules that apply to me are different.  For instance, my American car insurance is not valid in Europe and I have to buy an international drivers license to drive legally in Spain.  Can anyone give me any advice about this or suggest where I can get answers to these questions?  Thank you in advance.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 8:25 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

US citizens are only allowed a stay of 90 days in any 6 month period so if you are coming for 4 months at a time, you would need special permission to extend that stay over 90 days.  Basically, the rules are the same as for an EU citizen visiting the States, 2 lots of 3 months per year.

Car insurance, depending on circumstances, is about €300 to €350 a year fully comprehensive (obviously depends on your driving record).  When buy a car, we were asked for an up to date "padron" which is the equivalent of the UK electoral roll.  I do not know what the procedure would be for a US citizen.

This site, whilst old, has information for US citizens which may answer some of your questions

US in Spain

Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 9:10 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I think the 'padron' requirement may differ from place to place.

We have bought two new cars from dealers, one in Malaga province and one in Cadiz province, and have not been required to show a padron certificate.  Only the documents for our property and passport and NIE.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 10:08 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you come to Spain so often, it maybe that you have a friend here in whose name you could buy and insure a car.  That way with a written permission from them  you could drive without any problems.

Also please note. An international DL is NOT A DL, it is an interpretation of your national DL, thus you must carry both documents when driving.
Insurance in Spain is on the vehicle not on the driver as it is in UK and I believe USA,

Also, the amount of insurance cover very substantially higher in Europe than in USA.

I was astounded how little cover I needed when I had an RV (motorhome) and a sedan (car) in Florida.  And I believe that in some States one is not required to have any cover.    I opted for much more cover so that in the event of a blameworthy accident the third party could claim reasonable damages.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What's easiest? Taking my uk RHD to Spain, taking a LHD to Spain on UK plates or buying a LHD in Spain? Help - 4 posts
Why was Spain First Choice & any Oversights/Regrets ??? - 18 posts
Astra 2 F change over tests - 16 posts
TIPS ON BUYING A PROPERTY IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Looking for Lawyers on the Costa del Sol... - 2 posts
hi , matthew here - 2 posts
Record low interest rates - 0 posts
solicitors charges when selling a property. - 7 posts
I need to take my bike licence - 2 posts
One way car hire fees - 0 posts
Cancelling Insurances - Assurance - 7 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
Some would rather go to prison than face life :) - 1 posts
NEW REGULATIONS re CASH, TAX ON OVERSEAS ASSETTS and automatic Residencia and - 6 posts
New years eve in Duquesa or Sabinillas - 0 posts
You Know when you are getting Old!!! When - 0 posts
Roxanna - sexy spanish music - 3 posts
Maria and her team do it again - 5 posts
Am I eligible for Plan PIVE? - 27 posts
am receiving strange calls on my mobile...... - 1 posts
Tax resident - 32 posts
Electronic Submission of Form 210 - 30 posts
Buying UK products in Spain - 3 posts
Satellite TV in Spain - 1 posts
Non residence tax - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x