What's easiest? Taking my uk RHD to Spain, taking a LHD to Spain on UK plates or buying a LHD in Spain? Help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2012 9:13 PM by aliandk Star rating. 7 posts Send private message


We are looking at driving to Spain next year when we move. We currently have a UK car which is a RHD. We were thinking of driving over in that but I understand I can only use it for 6 months and then have to have Spanish plates and would I have to have it converted to LHD? I have toyed with the idea of buying a LHD over in on UK plates and then driving it over and then transferring to Spanish plates. The last option is to just drive over in ours, buy a Spanish car and sell the uk one. So confused as to what to do. We want a car over there as we want to get about. Which is the best option?????

Also, what do we need to do to transfer to Spanish plates? Do we need to have a car for 6 months before either driving over there, living there or before we transfer plates? We will be renting in murcia. Any advice would be great.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 12:43 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 801 posts Send private message

Unless you are driving over because you are transporting a pet then it is best to sell your RHD car in UK and buy here for unless you are very fortunate to sell to a returning Brit RHD have no value in Spain.

The cost of matriculation of RHD car is about 1,000 euros . it is not necessary for your car to be converted to LHD although the headlights have to be changed and you have to have owned the vehicle for 6 months.
Bring all pertinent documents relating to your ownership of the car with you.
If you start the process of matriculation immediately BEFORE registering with your local town hall then you will avoid import duty.
One has 30 days to complete the process so using a gestoria or lawyer is advisable.

Point to remember that when you tell your UK insurance company you are relocating to Spain your insurance will be converted to 3rd party after, in most cases, 30 days.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 8:48 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 220 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Personally I would sell the RHD UK car in the UK and buy LHD here in Spain.  If you have pets to consider then the money you save from converting and reregistering you car coud be used to have your pets transported professionally.  Bear in mind that when you come to sell a RHD in Spain most dealers won't touch them or use them as a trade in.  If you do sell to one of the many "Brit" dealers on the Costas you will be given a pittance for it even on a trade in.  Just my own personal experience of course and no doubt others will have had better than me.


Like 0      
25 Nov 2012 10:12 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Why don't you PX your English car for a Spanish registered car in England and drive it over as the Spanish cars in England are often less expensive than in Spain and they can do all of the paperwork for the transfer, you can then insure it in Spain

If you check the internet there are lots of UK people that will do this

Roy Howitt Independent Property Consultant www.sonrisaproperties.com www.snaggingspain.com WE CAN FIND YOUR DREAM HOME 627 955 748

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 7:37 PM by aggie2347 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi, I am leaving for the UK at the end of march and need to swop my LHD spanish registered manual Seat Toledo 2L TDI sport up 2007 89000km's  with full service history + cam belt change,  for a similar RHD model on spanish or english plates must have MoT/ITV and service history,  Suit someone coming to live in spain I am located in Fuengirola, Malaga, Money adjust either way.  aggie

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Why was Spain First Choice & any Oversights/Regrets ??? - 18 posts
Astra 2 F change over tests - 16 posts
Looking for Lawyers on the Costa del Sol... - 2 posts
hi , matthew here - 2 posts
Record low interest rates - 0 posts
solicitors charges when selling a property. - 7 posts
I need to take my bike licence - 2 posts
One way car hire fees - 0 posts
Cancelling Insurances - Assurance - 7 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
Some would rather go to prison than face life :) - 1 posts
NEW REGULATIONS re CASH, TAX ON OVERSEAS ASSETTS and automatic Residencia and - 6 posts
New years eve in Duquesa or Sabinillas - 0 posts
You Know when you are getting Old!!! When - 0 posts
Roxanna - sexy spanish music - 3 posts
Maria and her team do it again - 5 posts
Am I eligible for Plan PIVE? - 27 posts
am receiving strange calls on my mobile...... - 1 posts
Tax resident - 32 posts
Electronic Submission of Form 210 - 30 posts
Buying UK products in Spain - 3 posts
Satellite TV in Spain - 1 posts
Non residence tax - 0 posts
Aqualandia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x